can i plug my 2.5" sata drive to a standard sata power

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kamaleon

can i plug my 2.5" sata drive to a standard sata power

Post by kamaleon » Mon May 28, 2007 3:07 am

Hi folks

I'm a bit worried about this issue: i've got hold of a toshiba 5400rpm 2.5" drive and i'd like to stick in on my desktop and do some benchmarking with HD Tach. Now, i know that 2.5" only use 5v. If you look at an ide 2.5" adapter, it'll only draw 5v from the molex adapter.

But what about sata drives? I suppose the sata power plug will also deliver 12v hey? Do I risk burning my drive if i plug it onto my atx PSU?

Any help appreciated...

bendit

Post by bendit » Mon May 28, 2007 3:29 am

if it has a sata power plug stick a sata power plug in it. that's what it's FOR. :)

vanhelmont

Post by vanhelmont » Mon May 28, 2007 4:59 am

I'm running two 2.5" sata drives in a desktop, using the normal sata power plugs, and it works fine.

Don't worry, be happy.

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 am

Hi mate.

I'm not sure that my PSU's sata power plug is made FOR 2.5" drives, that's why i'm asking ;)

As i understand, 3.5" drives need 12v+5V whether 2.5" drives only need 5v.
Thus sata power plugs from atx PSUs deliver BOTH 12v AND 5v.

I'm worried that the atx PSU will deliver 12v to my poor drive thus burning it! Do you understand my worries?

Now, if you, or someone could explain me what the score is with this... please! ;)

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Mon May 28, 2007 5:03 am

ah vanhelmont, you replied while i was typing :)

So you reckon these sata plugs are universal for both 2.5" and 3.5" drives hey? That's what i though, but i *really* wanted to make sure :D

Then there must be a 12v notch somewhere which is not making any contact with the 2.5" drive.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon May 28, 2007 9:36 am

kamaleon wrote:Thus sata power plugs from atx PSUs deliver BOTH 12v AND 5v.
If it's a real plug, not an adapter, they also deliver 3.3 V.

Anyway, they only deliver these voltages if there is a contact on the drive's port to pick the voltage up. Notebook drives do not have contacts where the 12 V plates of the PSU plug are, only 5 V.

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Tue May 29, 2007 1:56 am

qviri wrote:If it's a real plug, not an adapter, they also deliver 3.3 V.

Anyway, they only deliver these voltages if there is a contact on the drive's port to pick the voltage up. Notebook drives do not have contacts where the 12 V plates of the PSU plug are, only 5 V.
Yes, you're absolutely right, it does have an orange cable too for 3.3v (any idea why sata drives need this?).

I still don't get it though: the plates on the connectors seem exactly the same to me... :shock:
ImageImage

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue May 29, 2007 4:41 am

kamaleon wrote:Yes, you're absolutely right, it does have an orange cable too for 3.3v (any idea why sata drives need this?).
I think I heard somewhere it's for hot-plugging. Don't quote me on that, though.
I still don't get it though: the plates on the connectors seem exactly the same to me... :shock:
I probably should check before shooting my mouth off, eh? In that case, the connection is not hooked up to anything inside the drive. 12 V just sitting there isn't going to do any harm if it doesn't have anywhere to go.

In any case, notebook SATA drives can be used with desktop SATA plugs. Consider SPCR's review of the Momentus 7200.1 (first one I could find): "SATA is probably the one feature that can take 2.5" drives into broad desktop acceptance. The freedom from a clumsy adapter is really nice."

kamaleon

Post by kamaleon » Wed May 30, 2007 1:16 am

okey dokey matey, i'll see what happens ;)