Antec MX-1 enclosure...loud?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

panda-R

Antec MX-1 enclosure...loud?

Post by panda-R » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:18 am

Anyone else pick this up yet? It looked good from the review and only being +1db from the hard drive itself was a good sign. I picked one up to use with my data drive but am not entirely happy with it's acoustics. The vibrations i don't care for, but the fan on mine is loud, clearly audible from 2.5m away.
Might have to RMA it and hope that it was a one off...

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:27 pm

elmopuddy makes the same remark on the fan in a recent post in the review thread. Maybe Antec is using a different fan in the later batches of the enclosure.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:32 am

On the one I've been running for a week or so now...I think the fan has got slightly louder (if that's at all possible).

Not to the point of any great annoyance but it's certainly audible.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:24 am

just an update for those that are thinking about getting this...

i just got my RMA unit, and it's loud again..... i don't know if it's a batch of bad fans that antec is sending out but it's clearly audible @ 1m, in fact i can still hear it @ 3m, where as my computer is dead silent at that range. As well, it's louder than my T8 Fluorescent light ballast in my room.

on the other hand, it does keep the drive very cool, but i'm not sure if the noise is worth it yet.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:24 pm

I concur with Panda. The MX-1 that I just got last week is quite a bit louder than the ones we first heard at CES this year. The sound quality is degraded: much more whine and bearing chatter. I'm going to play with undervolting the fan in the next few days. Given its cooling performance you should be able to slow it down quite a bit without the drive getting too hot. Might tape a thermosistor to the drive and see if I can make an auto-adjusting circuit fit inside the box.

panda-R

Post by panda-R » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:40 am

yah it's too bad that these fans are so loud, because the cooling performance of the unit is great. Also its almost impossible to do a fan swap in it so like Rusty said, undervolting might be the only thing left to do.