Looking for a new, SPCR-approved HD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zorander

Looking for a new, SPCR-approved HD

Post by Zorander » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm

250GB is no longer enough for me. I need to get a new one, with a budget of around AUD$250 (I believe that should get me a 500GB or perhaps 750GB model).

What would you recommend? This is the ranking of the criteria I seek:
1) Reliability/non-failure track record (with hundreds of GB of data, it's hard to ensure everything is backed-up)
2) Silent operation (anything quieter than my current 7200.8?)
3) Performance (I don't need scorching performance but I want no slouch either)

Cheers and TIA!

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:10 pm

Samsung currently has the largets areal density platters for the 3.5" format. I'd look into them, as they are also the industry leader in quiet HD's.
3) Performance (I don't need scorching performance but I want no slouch either)
All HD's are slow. Synthetic benchmarks are meaningless when it comes to rotating oxide. I just switched from 3.5" drives to 2.5" drives and noticed no percievable difference with anything i do, and i game regularly every day.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:21 am

Hi all,

After a long delay, I've decided that I really need a new, bigger harddisk soon. The general consensus here seems to lean towards the Samsung (and, to a slightly lesser degree, WD). I haven't caught up to the latest tech news so please bear with my questions: do I go for a SATA or SATAII drive? Which particular model should I be looking at if I'm aiming for a 750GB drive?

Thanks!

Flandry

Post by Flandry » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:37 am

Zorander wrote:Hi all,

After a long delay, I've decided that I really need a new, bigger harddisk soon. The general consensus here seems to lean towards the Samsung (and, to a slightly lesser degree, WD). I haven't caught up to the latest tech news so please bear with my questions: do I go for a SATA or SATAII drive? Which particular model should I be looking at if I'm aiming for a 750GB drive?

Thanks!
It doesn't matter which interface the drive uses. If you MUST have a 750 GB drive, the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS is a pretty good performer, beating most desktop drives, and relatively quiet -- one of the quietest 750 GB drives.

On the other hand, it seems from Anandtech's review that with the reduced sound setting activated, the 750 GB version of the flagship 1GB Hitachi drive will perform better and possibly make less sound, although Anand isn't really very good at doing apples-to-apples...

I know it sells for around $200.

None of the drives that big are going to be especially low in power consumption at idle, but they are reasonable.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

What exactly is the difference between the SATA (I) and SATAII?

Also, when you talk about power consumptions of 750GB drives, do they consume considerably more power than 250GB drives in general?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm

SATA II is faster, more advanced SATA. It's designated as 3.0Gb/s whereas original SATA was 1.5Gb/s. SATA II uses the same connectors and cables for data and power, only the architecture inside has changed.

So if you ever have a choice, get SATA II. There's usually a pin to force it into SATA mode if it won't play nice with your controller otherwise.

Drive power consumption readings are available from manufcaturer's site and reviews, make comparisons.

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks! I've got an Asus A8V mainboard (AGP); is SATAII natively compatible with older boards or am I likely to end up using that "special" pin on the harddrive? ;)

Cheers!

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:20 am

Zorander wrote:Also, when you talk about power consumptions of 750GB drives, do they consume considerably more power than 250GB drives in general?
Same design drive with more platters tends to consume more than smaller drives of serie but between drives of different manufacturers situation is entirely different.

SATA "II" is backwards compatible and correct operating speed is negotiated by drive and controller. That pin is there for just in case. (of some old controllers)

Zorander wrote:What would you recommend? This is the ranking of the criteria I seek:
1) Reliability/non-failure track record (with hundreds of GB of data, it's hard to ensure everything is backed-up)
2) Silent operation (anything quieter than my current 7200.8?)
If you're not good in doing back ups (I admit optical medias are annoying small for that) I would suggest RAID1.
At least in minimum you should keep new HD running for few weeks before starting to use it because that's the time when most slight manufacturing defects cause failure.

Second shouldn't be hard to achieve. :lol:

tonyw

Post by tonyw » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:26 am

I have the Hitachi 750GB model and am very happy with it. I don't have any acoustic measuring equipment, but noise levels seem comparable to the Western Digital 500GB 5000YS drive I have.

I have also recently ordered the WD 1TB GreenPower drive, and have high hopes that it will be a quiet and cool performer :)