Antec MX-1 fan undervolting

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Steve_Y

Antec MX-1 fan undervolting

Post by Steve_Y » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:16 pm

Has anyone successfully undervolted the fan in the Antec MX-1 enclosure?

I bought a couple of them but find their fans disappointingly loud, especially if I screw down the hard drives enough to reduce its seek noise (presumably there's more turbulence due to a smaller gap between the drive and the fan). Just one MX-1 fan on it's own is louder than my two Freecom Pro external drives, despite them being cooled by little 40mm fans.

That's definitely louder than the 20-21dBA@1m that SPCR measured. Either there's something wrong with both of my enclosures, or Antec have changed the fan for a faster and noisier model for some reason. Based on the temperatures measured by SPCR, and the description of the low airflow felt from the fan, I think the later is the case. Cooling seems unnecessarily powerful, SpeedFan is currently reading HDD temperature at 23C and quite a lot of cool air is leaving the enclosure.

Wiring in a resistor seems like a good option for bringing noise under control, but I'm not sure how difficult this would be, or whether the MX-1 fan would start at a lower voltage. I've seen some other people complain about its fan noise so I was hoping I could learn from someone else's experience with this.