WD Raptor: 10 000 RPM / Quiet / Fast !!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

WD Raptor: 10 000 RPM / Quiet / Fast !!

Post by marc999 » Mon May 05, 2003 2:07 pm

Who would have thought that the new 10 000 RPM WD is quiet!!
According to StorageReview.com:
"Objectively speaking, the beta Raptor turns in impressively low noise floors, likely due to its single-platter design. A score of 42.5 dB/A approaches the noise floor delivered by the latest Barracuda ATA drives. Subjectively, it is interesting to note that while the final version of the drive weighs in with a higher noise floor than the beta, it tempers the high-pitched whine exhibited by the latter and thus is less obtrusive. It nonetheless still emits a very slight squeal reminiscent of third- or fourth-generation 10k RPM SCSI units. Though the sound does not bother me personally, it may irritate those who insist in ultra-quiet operation from their machines. The Raptor's seek noises definitely land significantly higher than today's ATA drives. While not quite as loud as a SCSI disk, it is nevertheless easy to tell when the drive's actuator is in motion.

The Raptor's single-platter configuration also yields a relatively low operating drive temperature. Our measurements reached 20.8 degrees Celsius above ambient room temperature- on the high side for an ATA drive but well below the typical SCSI unit. "
I figure this drive is the perfect candidate for a Smart Drive 2002 Drive Enclosure due to its fairly low temperatures. And one could use a No Vibes or similar product to decouple the Smart Drive from your case to reduce the seek noise. As long as you don't require huge storage volumes, this drive is a dream come true: the best possible desktop performance, and very quiet (if not silent) operation (with the above mentioned accessories of course)!! For the ultimate you could put it in a RAID configuration, althouth that could start to get pricey, especially if you don't have a Serial ATA RAID connection yet !!

Still, with CPUs so fast these days, many systems are help back by hard drive performance, and so this possible combination seems very exciting to me.

Any comments ?

Nice Marmot

Post by Nice Marmot » Mon May 05, 2003 4:25 pm

My roomate just got a Raptor for his new Canterwood system. He says it's very quite idling, but during reads/writes the clicking is very, very loud. I haven't listened to it myself, however.

snutten

Post by snutten » Fri May 16, 2003 5:23 pm

The seek noise is somewhat sharp but tolerable if decoupled. Idle whine not that loud but with a very high pitch.
It´s definitely less loud than WDs other ATA drives but by no means quiet enough by SPCR standards. Temps get a bit higher than with 7200 drives so be careful how you shield it.

I have mine wrapped up and watercooled. I now dare call it silent.

Performance kicks ass.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Fri May 16, 2003 10:52 pm

snutten,
Thanks for the info !!
I think I'm going to be brave and go ahead with the (somehow decoupled) Smart Drive 2002 idea. If that doesn't silence it then I guess I'll have to silence the case itself with Acousti-Pack. I know I should go with a 7200.7 since silence is my first priority, but the preformance of these Raptors is just too alluring to me. I realise that my drive will probably be a bit too hot and this may shorten the lifespan of it, but I think it's worth the sacrifice. Anyway, I'm going to get 2 and run them in RAID 0 (redundant mode) so that when the $hit hits the fan ...... I'm covered. :D

JimK

Post by JimK » Sat May 17, 2003 5:51 am

Marc,

I think you mean RAID 1, RAID 0 (striped) is not really a RAID (REDUNDANT Array of Inexpensive Drives) therefore is "0" That's the way I remember it. :)

I am thinking of a pair of Raptors (RAID 0) for my new darkroom and would be very interested in your comments re:temps & noise when you finish. Mike's new review makes me think about a pair of the new Samsung drives, a little slower but quieter, 320 GB - a bottomless pit, and my DM+9 120 for Ghost, swap and backup.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sat May 17, 2003 6:45 am

2 of those raptors be very fast in raid :D

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Sun May 18, 2003 7:44 am

JimK,
Yes, you're right, I meant RAID 1. Sorry, my bad!! If I decided to take the plunge, I will let everyone know how it goes. (I still may chicken out and go the 7200.7 route - but I doubt it).

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Sun May 18, 2003 11:15 pm

Here is another review of the Raptor.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=170451

I have one (1), and while it is not a silent drive by itself, the performance MORE than makes up for it, IMHO. With some of the better noise suppression ideas, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get the noise down to tolerable levels. So far, I have not been able to get the drive temp over 105F. It is mounted solidly to the drive cage and has 1 Panaflow 12L1 at 12v blowing thru the cage. This full speed is more for cooling the whole case, not because the drive needs it.

marc999, if you get 2 of them, don't try them out in RAID 0. You will be hooked forever, if the performance of mine in non-RAID mode is any indicator! :shock: I had some problems with the RAID driver and the bios combo causing data corruption, but while it was working, WOW was it fast. Supposedly that is fixed now with a new bios, I will try the faster driver again when I see some reports of success.

Athlon Powers

Post by Athlon Powers » Mon May 19, 2003 7:12 am

Topcat wrote:Here is another review of the Raptor.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=170451

I have one (1), and while it is not a silent drive by itself, the performance MORE than makes up for it, IMHO. With some of the better noise suppression ideas, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get the noise down to tolerable levels. So far, I have not been able to get the drive temp over 105F. It is mounted solidly to the drive cage and has 1 Panaflow 12L1 at 12v blowing thru the cage. This full speed is more for cooling the whole case, not because the drive needs it.

marc999, if you get 2 of them, don't try them out in RAID 0. You will be hooked forever, if the performance of mine in non-RAID mode is any indicator! :shock: I had some problems with the RAID driver and the bios combo causing data corruption, but while it was working, WOW was it fast. Supposedly that is fixed now with a new bios, I will try the faster driver again when I see some reports of success.
Somebody in the Anandtech Forums got 112MB starting file transfer and 96MB ending in RAID 0! Id never go back, you would be stuck for the rest of your life!