750GB - Samsung F1 HD753LJ 32MB or WD WD7500AAKS 16MB?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bomsy

750GB - Samsung F1 HD753LJ 32MB or WD WD7500AAKS 16MB?

Post by bomsy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am

Hi,
I'll buy a 750MB drive very soon. My two candidates are:

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD753LJ 32MB 750GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 16MB 750GB

It will act as a secondary drive and be used mostly for relatively long term storage. So access speed or other speed parameters are not so important. I will therefore let sound decide - I will buy the least noisy one. Please advice me on which one that is. :)

(note: I know that a 1TB drive might be less noisy but the "per gigabyte" price is currently to high for 1TB drives where I live so they are not an option for me)

Anodyne

Post by Anodyne » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 am

I don't own either one yet, but NewEgg has the new 640GB version of the WD SE16 for sale now - I just ordered one. I've been following the reviews and forum postings at several websites, as well as the NewEgg user reviews. There seem to be a lot of people reporting issues with the Samsung though of course you always hear more from people who've had problems than those who haven't. However the new 640Gb WD is a two-platter drive and the 750 Gb Samsung is a three-platter, so the WD might be quieter because of that. I think the Samsung might be a slightly better performer but you said that isn't your priority.

I have two Samsungs currently and they have been very reliable. This will be my first WD drive, but the SE16's seem to have a lot of fans on this site and others. Anandtech has a review of the new SE16 where they say it is not the fastest drive but is cool and quiet. TechReport has a review of the Samsung where they tout it's performance, and also say it's very quiet. Some forum postings here say it has more vibration.

I don't know if there have been any direct comparisons between the Samsung F1 and the new SE16 yet. There is a long thread in this forum about the Samsung F1 though that has gotten kind of fiesty.

bomsy

Post by bomsy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks for the feedback Anodyne!

I live in Sweden so buying from Newegg is not an option (the shipping would cost to much). The 640 seems better soundwise, I agree with that after reading some about it. I would've bought it only if available here at roughly the same price per gigabyte as the 750.

After reading your reply and some other forum posts I'm leaning towards the Samsung. There might be some vibration issues, sure, but I have all drives suspended so that will not be a big problem hopefully.

I push the purchase button some time tomorrow so if someone else has relevant advice to to weigh in with (especially reasons to go for the WD) then please do it now! :-)

sweatypickle

Post by sweatypickle » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:27 am

If you have a nvidia motherbaord you might want to stay away from the Samsung. The Samsung is also quieter however if it's mainly going to be used for storage.. why not grab a WD GP 750 instead.. as it is both quiet and so far without major issues..