Samsung F1 320Gb when???

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

Samsung F1 320Gb when???

Post by falcon26 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:39 pm

Everyone keeps talking about the samsung f1 320gb HD, anyone have any idea when they are coming out?

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:46 am

I dont know. Im waiting for it aswell.

Denorios

Odd

Post by Denorios » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:25 pm

If you mean the single platter HD322HJ, I thought it was already out. There are a number of places in the UK selling it. I'm surprised its not selling in the US yet.

http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/Sams ... _6208.html

http://www.dacomputers.com/store.php?targetcode=Z77534N

http://allyourithere.com/store/viewItem ... oduct=1933

http://www.laptopsandpcs.co.uk/Shop/Com ... M_16MB_OEM

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks for the links Denorios.

Thats the one we are looking for.

Still not available in Denmark. :?

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I thought the F1's were supposed to be pretty noisy compared to the WDGP? How much of that noise can be eliminated by the single platter design?

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:38 am

FartingBob wrote:I thought the F1's were supposed to be pretty noisy compared to the WDGP? How much of that noise can be eliminated by the single platter design?
Lower platter count = lower vibration.

Im not sure if motor noise is different on HDD's with different platter count.

Im sure the F1 is "noisy" compared to the WDGP's but the real seller for the F1's is its speed.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:46 am

So its out in europe but not in the states yet :-(

Denorios

Got one

Post by Denorios » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Just bought one today. First impressions are reasonably positive. Rotational noise is much the same character as my T-series HD501J, albeit quieter by 1-2db - idle is pretty much inaudible from a few feet, and shoved into a Scythe Quiet Drive in my computer, I can't hear anything at all - neither idle noise nor seeks. Vibration is much the same as the three-platter HD501J, which is unexpected, but it's still pretty low.

Performance is good. Seems a bit snappier compared to the HD501J, and it runs cooler - 43C sealed up with minimal airflow.

Overall impression is good. There's no quantum leap here, but it improves performance while being a little quieter.

tutu

Post by tutu » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:35 pm

So is the F1 320 a good choice for speed and silence? I have a Raptor which has seeks louder than you could imagine. Or is there something better? I'm looking for something that is both quiet but also performance is acceptable (coming down from a Raptor after all!!).

I need a boot drive (I have a 750gb WD as my data drive). Is there anything better? I keeping hearing F1 320/WD 320gb platter or Seagate 7200.11 but I am still none the wiser.

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:41 am

In terms of the read and write transfer performance, an F1 will beat a current generation Raptor hands down. The Raptor’s 39% spindle RPM advantage can’t compensate for the F1’s fourfold advantage in areal density. Tom’s Hardware review of the 1TB F1 noted a 22% higher average read transfer, and 37% maximum read transfer over the single-platter 74GB Raptor. Write transfer performance was much the same. Since the single-platter 320GB F1 has the same areal density and drive interface as the 1TB, the performance ought to be identical.

Obviously the Raptor is going to have a considerable advantage in latency. How that affects the performance of your system in actual use obviously depends on how you use it.

The short answer is if you bought the Raptor for its read/write performance, then an F1 will outperform it while running quieter and cooler. If you bought it for its latency, then nothing has changed, nor is it likely to, unless you want to invest in an SSD. If you bought it for some combination of the two, YMMV, but an F1 is probably worth experimenting with, it you can get your hands on one temporarily.

Western Digital really needs to refresh the Raptor. The areal density has always been lower than contemporary 7200 RPM drives, but at this point it's dropped so far behind that it's endangering the Raptor's reputation.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah but when are these babies coming out in the states????? I can't find anything on a release date for them here..

tutu

Post by tutu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:57 am

Thanks. Whats quieter - this or the WD 320 single platter? Does this support acoustic management software? Whats the default setting?

Denorios

Post by Denorios » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Can't comment on the WD320, but the HD322HJ does support AAM, and is set by default to maximum performance (loudest).

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:01 pm

These drives are out in europe and asia and of course not here :-( I've heard sometime this summer that sucks....

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:44 pm

falcon26 wrote:These drives are out in europe and asia and of course not here :-( I've heard sometime this summer that sucks....
Makes a change from the usual way around of reading good reviews on a new product only to find i'll have to wait 4 months before it ships to the UK.

k1250

Post by k1250 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:01 pm

I've been googling all the usual suspects, (e-tailers in the UK) and can't find a single one that has the Samsung HD322HJ.

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Searching around Samsung's US site today, I couldn't find any mention of their F series drives at all. The drives appear to only be featured at their global site.

More interesting to note though, is that I found a US site that actually put up a product listing for the HD322HJ today. Lagoom.com doesn't have a product description or image up for the drive yet, but lists it as being in stock and on sale for $65.69 + shipping. I haven't bought from them before, but it looks legitimate. If nothing else, it implies that the drives may appear at other retailers, like Newegg, in the coming days.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 pm

Cryoburner wrote:Lagoom.com lists it as being in stock and on sale for $65.69 + shipping...
And they claim 12,960 units in stock. By comparison, they list the Samsung 300G HD300LJ at $101.94 with 12 in stock.

Does the above seem reasonable? :?:

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Thu May 08, 2008 5:22 pm

It doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Note that the HD322HJ is listed as a bare OEM drive, while the HD300LJ is not. Those are most likely shipped in retail packaging, for which you'll be paying more. Reviews for the site appear to be overwhelmingly positive, so they most likely do have the drives available for purchase.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Available on Ewiz http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=HD-SM322HJ

Might pick this up over the WD 320 since it seems like the WD 320 is slower than the WD 640 by design. There were some comments about how some are loud and there are dual platter stock still floating around.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Figures :-( I wait months for this drive and I get tired of waiting so I go out and buy a WD 640GB and a week later the F1 320GB comes out nice. I wonder if its that much better speed wise and noise wise than the WD 640GB

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 am

As far as speed goes, a 640GB drive should maintain its transfer rates further into the disk than a 320 GB one. There's twice as much space, so if you're just comparing the first 320 gigabytes, the smaller drive's speed will be considerably slower toward the end of the disk, while the larger one will be only halfway through, and therefore much faster. While the speed at the beginning of the drives will be comparable, once you're some distance in, the performance of the larger drive will pull ahead. Additionally, if your OS and programs are all in the first half of the disk, they'll have less distance to seek than if they were spread across the entire drive.

A fairer comparison would be between the 640GB offerings from both WD and Samsung, and I can't imagine the performance will be significantly different between the two. The Samsung might have a slightly higher platter density, but it also has slightly slower seeks compared to the WD, and lacks the 32MB of cache that gave the 1TB F1 an edge in some scenarios. Noise is less easy to judge until someone does a direct comparison between them, but once again I think that any differences will be marginal.

Probably the best thing is to be happy with what you have. The WD6400AAKS has been getting great reviews, and currently offers some of the best performance and accoustics available in its class.

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm

I think your right :-)

aSASa

Post by aSASa » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

Cryoburner wrote:As far as speed goes, a 640GB drive should maintain its transfer rates further into the disk than a 320 GB one. There's twice as much space, so if you're just comparing the first 320 gigabytes, the smaller drive's speed will be considerably slower toward the end of the disk, while the larger one will be only halfway through, and therefore much faster. While the speed at the beginning of the drives will be comparable, once you're some distance in, the performance of the larger drive will pull ahead. Additionally, if your OS and programs are all in the first half of the disk, they'll have less distance to seek than if they were spread across the entire drive.

A fairer comparison would be between the 640GB offerings from both WD and Samsung, and I can't imagine the performance will be significantly different between the two. The Samsung might have a slightly higher platter density, but it also has slightly slower seeks compared to the WD, and lacks the 32MB of cache that gave the 1TB F1 an edge in some scenarios. Noise is less easy to judge until someone does a direct comparison between them, but once again I think that any differences will be marginal.

Probably the best thing is to be happy with what you have. The WD6400AAKS has been getting great reviews, and currently offers some of the best performance and accoustics available in its class.
Interesting.. I never knew drives went slower towards the end o.O. I figure it would be the same since its just a spinning disk being read by a head.. and every revolution it reads something.. and the distance will not be effected except on the first revolution depending on how far back the data is.. would it??

Anywhere to get the 640GB samsung F1?

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 am

aSASa wrote:
Cryoburner wrote:As far as speed goes, a 640GB drive should maintain its transfer rates further into the disk than a 320 GB one. There's twice as much space, so if you're just comparing the first 320 gigabytes, the smaller drive's speed will be considerably slower toward the end of the disk, while the larger one will be only halfway through, and therefore much faster. While the speed at the beginning of the drives will be comparable, once you're some distance in, the performance of the larger drive will pull ahead. Additionally, if your OS and programs are all in the first half of the disk, they'll have less distance to seek than if they were spread across the entire drive.

Interesting.. I never knew drives went slower towards the end o.O. I figure it would be the same since its just a spinning disk being read by a head.. and every revolution it reads something.. and the distance will not be effected except on the first revolution depending on how far back the data is.. would it??

Anywhere to get the 640GB samsung F1?
Well, If you imagine a spinning platter, you can see that if the arm reads one "lap" of data far out on the platter, lets say it would take 1 second(just for the ease of it). This "lap" may contain, say 1 gigabyte of data. Then imagine the arm reading data as far in on the platter as possible. It would still take 1 second to spin one "lap" but since the "lap" is shorter, it may only contain something like 250MB of data, Therefor 1/4 of the outer speed.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Is it worth "upgrading" from the Samsung T166 320 GB to the WD or Samsung 320 GB single platter? I've heard conflicting reports with some people saying the T166 drives are quieter than the new single platter drives.

nafets

Post by nafets » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am