Anyone have a preferred internal HD Enclosure?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Preferred internal HD Enclosure

Poll ended at Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:28 pm

Logisys Aluminum Hard Drive Silencer
8%
Nexus Drive-A-Way
No votes
Scythe Himuro
No votes
Scythe Quiet Drive
50%
Scythe Silent Drive
8%
SilenX Luxurae
No votes
Smart Drive 2002 Copper
25%
Something Else
8%

Total votes: 12

fri2219

Anyone have a preferred internal HD Enclosure?

Post by fri2219 » Tue May 13, 2008 6:28 pm

For reasons too ticklish to tell, I'm stuck using a loud drive in my office. Reviews, much less recent reviews are pretty scant on drive enclosures.

I'd appreciate any and all opinions offered on some of the more recent offerings: I've read the forum posts on older enclosures, and no one seemed that enthused with any of them- if you have a contrary opinion, please post away.

lowteckh

Post by lowteckh » Tue May 13, 2008 6:40 pm

From Newegg. Only 1 review on the Scythe Himuro so don't take it as the end all be all:

Pros: it's big, well i guess that's not a pro.

Cons: quality control- there were air bubbles in the foam on the top plate, and a FOOT PRINT- yes a foot print, like the imprint of a shoe sole on the thermal pad. this is not design because i could rub off the dust from the imprint. this actually raised my hd temps. hd ran at 30-32c and now runs 33-35c. also, my hd noise is worse, but read below for that because there's a catch.

Other Thoughts: here is the deal with the louder hd. i have a stacker 830 which has a cage that isolates the hd- doesn't enclose it, but isolates the vibration. the cage is nothing special, so i thought that this cooler would do better. i took out the cage and with this in it's place, you get more vibration. i think that it's because the rubber used in this hd cooler is pretty stiff. THERE IS ANOTHER CATCH. i also use a raptor 10k rpm drive. those are pretty loud, but i would expect a good hd cooler/silencer to atleast quiet the hd down a little while maintaining temps- not make all things worse. i will be returning this. i will probably not buy another scyth product again. i am sticking with zman.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 am

Why spend so much on an enclosure when with the same money you could buy a quiet hard drive and image your old HD to the new one?

fri2219

I scored 0 on my reading comprehension test

Post by fri2219 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:49 am

spolitta wrote:Why spend so much on an enclosure when with the same money you could buy a quiet hard drive and image your old HD to the new one?
Thank you for trying to be helpful, even if you didn't actually read all 100 words of my original post.

While that is obviously the most sensible choice, that is not an option in this case. For reasons I can't divulge, none of the hardware in the case, including the drive, can be modified.
Last edited by fri2219 on Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

amyhughes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by amyhughes » Thu May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm using the Logisys thingy with a WD GP drive. With that quiet, cool drive it reduces seek noises by perhaps half and reduces whine to about zero, and temperature is reduced 4C. So it seems to work okay with an already silent drive. You'd have better luck isolating vibration, though, by suspending the drive. My plan is to suspend the Logisys thingy. I'll suspend a second, too, and maybe place a third on foam at the bottom of the case.

My one complaint is that it doesn't align with the other 5.25 drives. It sits low, so it can't be mounted in the space directly above another device, or at the bottom of the 5.25 cage. A fine arrangement for cooling, but your first one essentially takes two spaces.

Newegg is out of them, and I apparently bought the last one jab-tech had. Maybe they're becoming unavailable.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Thu May 15, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm sorry, but if the drive is too noisy, do not expect too much to be done using a silencer.