Quiet SATA HDD?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Quiet SATA HDD?

Post by DanOnKeys » Fri May 23, 2003 9:17 am

I'll be getting a new HDD soon and want to go SATA. I care about performance, I'm thinking I want 80GB+ (but I can be flexible there) -- but most importantly, I want the drive to be no louder than my 80GB 180GXP (which is silent (as far as I'm concerned) at idle). I'll be replacing my 40GB 120GXP which doesn't idle too loud, but crunches pretty noticibly (loudly) when working (the 80GB 180GXP is much better). I think I'm also getting some "intermodulation" noise as well.

It seems like some folks have said that the reasonably quiet PATA cuda V and 7200.7 don't benefit from some of the "quiet" technology goodies when you move to SATA. I'm looking for some first-hand experience if there's any out there.

Thanks!!

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Sat May 24, 2003 6:25 am

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat May 24, 2003 11:48 am

The new Maxtor Diamondmax Pro 9 SATAs have been reviewed elsewhere, and these use a fluid bearing system that the reviewers claim is quiet, but who knows.... They sure are fast; I am hoping they will suffice noise-wise - I'd like to Raid-0 a pair through the ICH5(R) Southbridge on a 875 motherboard to avoid the PCI bus bottleneck. Should be available mid-June I have been told.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sat May 24, 2003 12:03 pm

i did a post on here about my dm9. sounds like a fan, a seagate is very very nearly truely silent

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 24, 2003 1:16 pm

Given the SATA options out there, I'd stick with 'cudas. They may be noisier than the IVs but I bet they're quieter than all the other SATAs right now. By no small margin, if my experience so far with WD or Maxtor are any indication.

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Sun May 25, 2003 12:48 pm

Thanks, guys! I don't trust reviews elsewhere (sound-wise) -- so I really wanted from input from this community. So I pretty much just have to decide between between the V SATA and 7200.7 SATA? From what I've heard here, it looks like the V is quieter than the 7200.7 and assume that carries over to the SATA-flavored drives?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun May 25, 2003 1:43 pm

it looks like the V is quieter than the 7200.7 and assume that carries over to the SATA-flavored drives?
How about you get one of each & do a comparative review for SPCR?? :!:

DanOnKeys
Patron of SPCR

Post by DanOnKeys » Sun May 25, 2003 6:16 pm

Mike- I'm honored to be asked. It kills me not to honor your request. The penace I have to pay (to my wife) for going as far as I have transforming my previously loud (yet perfectly functional) computer to a fairly quiet (and essentially identically functioning) computer prevents me from being able to buy both drives.

Now, if I could get one of them without having to pay for it (or better yet both) -- I would be delighted to do an exhaustive comparative review. Don't worry, I have no such delusions of grandeur.

I will offer, on a compensatory note, that I have recently noticed that my 80GB 180GXP vibrates a lot more than my 40GB 120GXP, though the seeks on the 120GXP are louder. I would have noticed earlier, but thanks to discovering the SLK3700 on this site, both HDDs are mounted with HomeDepot nylon screws in the SLK3700 stock rubber grommets.