100Mbit Fiber - WD Caviar GP enough? Or is F1 better?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krille

100Mbit Fiber - WD Caviar GP enough? Or is F1 better?

Post by krille » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm about to move to a new apartment with 100 Mbit full-duplex fiber (hurrah! :D). And I like using BitTorrent to, uhm, share Linux distributions (and occasionally download new ones too). Which may mean that I will be using the full capacity of this fiber quite often while at the same time doing everyday work, watching movies, gaming, listening to music, etc. Now these Linux distributions (along with my music and movie backups) will be stored on two possibly three 1TB HDDs (there will most likely be no RAID). I want my PC to be as quiet as possible of course, hopefully I'll be able to have it on even while I sleep.

(The system drive will most likely be a Veloci-Raptor 300GB, most likely with AAM on. It will definitely be a dedicated drive, so these storage drives will really only take the combined stress of BT and music and/or occasionally playback of my BluRay backups.)

So I need fast reliable storage drives that can cope with the stress of 100 Mbit BitTorrent, but at the same time I want the quietest possible ones.

Does anyone know if the Western Digital Caviar GP is fast enough to handle this stress? If so, would running it with AAM on make sense? (BitTorrent usage doesn't only involve reading, when connected to lots of peers there will be a lot of seeking as well.) The second choice would otherwise be the Samsung F1 1TB.

Thanks!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:52 pm

I would go for WD GP with AAM enabled. 100Mbit full duplex is about 25MB/s tops and any modern HDD will be able to handle that if the data is not terrible fragmented.

You might want to have a dedicated HDD just for downloads though. I'm on a 24/10 connection and my Linux distros flows just fine ;) but if I move around large amounts of data, especially if I move stuff from my download partition to my storage partition (both on the same WD GP), both my dl and ul speed suffers. I don't think any other HDD would do much better under the same circumstance.

L2GX

Post by L2GX » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

I'm in somewhat of the same situation, I've built an atom based pc to handle 24/7 activities for 50 watts, rather than leave my full machine on.
cost: 90euro for mb and memory, all other parts are recuperated.

The hard drive expressly is a leftover, and I'll tell you why.

If you look at uTorrent you'll find that it can cache a lot of the data it handles in memory. It's a good idea to enlarge this cache.

However, you're still looking at continuous read-write activity on your hdd. It is taking one for the team and it will suffer. So don't do that on what is basically your storage drive. Download on expendable drives, then transfer to a RAID.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:35 am

I agree with all of the above - I have a similar setup to the one you envisage, and continuous torrenting hammers the bejesus out of the HDD, even though I don't have anything like your download bandwidth, let alone upload.

If you're planning on having two or three storage drives anyway, I do think it would be worth dedicating a single drive to BT alone, particularly if you'll also be playing back high-bitrate HD material at the same time.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:34 am

If you're getting the GP, make an effort to get the new 00D6B0 revision. You'll see better performance in sequential reads & writes.

viewtopic.php?t=48796
viewtopic.php?t=49336

krille

Post by krille » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:02 am

Thank you for your input everyone.

I see, I have a reliability issue in that I like to share my storage and that may wear out the physical drives? Maybe I should put together my own little dedicated file server with RAID-5 or something? Using it as a combined seedbox (for sharing my "Linux distros") and NAS (networked attached storage, worst case scenario would be streaming Blu-Ray = 40 Mbps) for my main PC?

There will be very little space in the new apartment, but maybe I could squeeze one into the closet. It appears the Intel Atom boards lack RAID, so that rules out Atom. I can't seem to figure out if VIA Nano boars have RAID, but for the price of a VIA Nano, I might as well buy a proper C2D system or AMD system. So what I would need is a low-power RAID capable system.

Can you think of a better alternative to (as in lower power and about the same price as) an X2 4x50E based AMD system?

line thank you for the heads up! My distributor has an incoming shipment of WD10EACS drives scheduled for tomorrow. What do you reckon my chances are of getting the new 3-platter model with one of those?

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:05 pm

The new revision has been out since May so it should be well widespread by now, but as I've noticed the old revision continues to be sold as well. If the drives arrive in your area in transparent OEM packaging you can check the revsion before buying. Can you reach your distributor by email or over the phone? You can ask him to check the drive's label and let you know what is written in the line that begins with "MDL:", where it says "WD10EACS-xxxxxx". The part after the "-" is the revision.

Image Image

Beyonder

Re: 100Mbit Fiber - WD Caviar GP enough? Or is F1 better?

Post by Beyonder » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:26 pm

There are two issues. The first is whether or not you can sequentially read/write 100 mb/sec, which any modern hard drive should be able to handle. 100 mb/sec is 12.5 MB/second, and realistically you'll only get a fraction of that. Any recent drive should have no problem meeting that speed.

I think a bigger issue may be server performance. You're potentially going to have hundreds (thousands?) of simultaneous connections and your disk drive might end up spending most of its time seeking and not a lot of time performing sequential reads (and sequential reads happen so quickly compared to seeking that they have effectively written themselves out of the performance equation). In this scenario, what you need is dictated by how many simultaneous connections you'll have, and how random their requests will be. Any idea on how many simultaneous clients you expect to handle?

Probably a "safe" (maybe...100 mb/sec is a big pipe) solution is the velociraptor, which has very good server performance. But it's expensive and not as spacious as some other options.

krille

Post by krille » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 am

If it can't deliver enough seek performance then it's not much to do quite frankly. Thus my question, what would be better F1 or GP?
With a decent amount of cache (RAM dedicated to the BitTorrent client) the number of seeks should be kept down.

While the actual fiber most likely will only display real-world performance of around 80/80 (I'm basing that on what I've heard from other people with the same ISP and my current ISP provides a 100/10 fiber that delivers about 80/12). So it should be able to handle this server load as well as the stress of streaming multimedia to my desktop (worst case scenario would be BluRay).

I'm not getting 2TB worth of Raptors. Lol. At the moment I'm leaning towards building a dedicated seedbox/NAS. With (most likely) 4x640 to 1TB drives. At least two will be mirrored (for sensitive data).

Cerb

big ol' rambling

Post by Cerb » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm

I'll assume since you even mention Linux distros, that one would be used for the case of a file server.

1. Don't use Windows.

Windows has always been too twitchy about using the HDD. Until you saturate the drive or buffers, a stock *n*x install will just write every so often, even with random reads/writes mixed in. Using Linux, be aware that EXT2 data=writeback will bite you, eventually (ordered and journal are good), and so will using XFS (not too big a deal with daily backups). OTOH, this is why you have caching options in the P2P client in Windows.

2. Use backup first; and RAID later, if at all.

If a drive fails, and you have a backup, you can restore to a near-then point, and go on. If a drive fails, and you have RAID, you stay alive, but have to get a new one.

If your HDD data gets corrupted, and you have a backup, you can restore to a near-then point. If that happens in a RAID w/o backup, you're totally screwed. Been there. Done that. Wore out an optical drive replacing the data. RAID is good, but is also marketed more than it is useful instead of backups.

3. If using RAID, go software-only, or get a real controller.

nVidia and Intel have neat enhancements, but then you are locked in to their mobos, when you need to recover data. RAID 5 software is not something I'd trust (from experience of losing data to Linux's RAID 5), but 1 and 0+1/10 are perfectly fine. If you have enough SATA ports, you can do RAID.

4. Plan for fragmentation and power problems.

Fragmentation will be an issue with P2P, end of story. Yes, you can pre-allocate, but you will have fragmentation issues before long.

Having a smaller partition (or whole drive, like Nick075 suggests) used for temporary data, then a big one for final data, would be a good way to do handle it. Then, the data can be written as close to contiguously as possible on the partition where it's only going to be read from or deleted. You also get major performance benefits using separate drives. On a many-GB file, a few fragments are not problematic...hundreds can be.

All the common Linux FSes are crap for defragging (they pretty much all resist fragmentation enough that it's not a big issue until you severely fill the drive, or use P2P stuff). EXT3 (with data=ordered) and JFS are both excellent choices, and should both work very will with drives dedicated to different tasks.

See how much, between SATA and FS drivers, you can delay writes, and generally have really big RAM caches (assuming a *n*x). The defaults are good all-around, but longer waits and hefty caches could help keep the drive from getting too beaten. The idea would be to use the drive in such a way that you randomly read all the time (pretty much a P2P necessity, barring infinite RAM), but then have scheduled writing bursts, letting NCQ handle some of the work, rather than thrash a lot.

While not as quiet as my P80 or Scorpio Blue, if the new 1TB GPs are similar to the 750 in terms of noise, they would be ideal. Not real speedy, but good enough, and easy to manage the noise of.
krille wrote:If it can't deliver enough seek performance then it's not much to do quite frankly. Thus my question, what would be better F1 or GP?
With a decent amount of cache (RAM dedicated to the BitTorrent client) the number of seeks should be kept down.
Kept down, yes, but how much? The F1 is much faster than the GP (as a single desktop drive), but the GP is a drive I could probably sleep ten feet away from, if need be (fairly wooshy and dull character to the noise). Having the storage drives not do the BT workload is the best option, by far, regardless of drive(s) chosen. If you will do the BT on a Windows desktop, just throw the Velociraptor in there, and have only slow (but quiet) drives on the NAS server.

krille

Post by krille » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:03 pm

Touché on the distros.

Don't use Windows?
Are you talking about regular Windows or Windows Server 200x too? Are the Server 200x versions (mainly 2003) really that bad? Because I've heard lots of good stuff about many commercial seedboxes using Windows Server 2003 (and most hardware should have working drivers, etc) with the big advantage being that Windows Server is the easiest to set up. There should be plenty of CPU and RAM to compensate for any inherent inefficiencies with Windows. The obvious bottleneck is the storage of course, and if Linux is much better in that area, then Linux it is. A good opportunity to get to know Linux too. :)

What distribution?
There are other alternatives as well, mainly *BSD and GNU. It's very hard to choose with so many versions available: Literally hundreds (I think there are about 340!) of Linux distros, a few BSD distros (most popular one being FreeBSD) and GNU. What would you recommend, as you seem to have the experience?

Keep in mind that this will be my very first media server/NAS/seedbox of any kind, so at this stage everything hasn't got to be perfect and optimized to infinity (it does not have to run efficiently on a 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 32MB RAM...), as long as it works. It will not be used as a desktop (I will probably only have a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to it while initially setting it up, thenceforth it will be accessed remotely via LAN most likely).
1. The purpose is essentially to be able to stow away the box with all the HDDs where I can't hear it, allowing it to be on and working 24/7/365 (rebooting once in a while is fine).
2. Obviously it should act as NAS, everything should be accessible to my main PC running Windows (by mapping network drives).
3. It should act as a BitTorrent seedbox. That means support for a common widely accepted BitTorrent client. Being able to run uTorrent on Linux would be great, as that's the client I'm currently using.
4. Support for a major Direct Connect client wouldn't hurt either. (Although the main PC could do this by sharing the server's contents via mapped network drives.)
5. A front-end for the main PC (I guess Remote Desktop or VNC or something should work fine, maybe uTorrent's web interface or TorrentFlux). After initial configuration of the server, everything else should be done remotely.
6. Since I'm new to Linux/BSD/GNU I'd prefer (to begin with) one of the major distributions (there may be better sites for this), but I don't know.
7. It would be great if all P2P activity packets could be set to low priority (low QoS I think).
8. It would be great if the OS prioritized feeding data to the main system (in case of streaming music or a Blu-Ray movie) before tending to any P2P clients' needs.

So what would you recommend?

Fragmentation
A partition or a designated drive for (temporary) downloads is a very good idea indeed. Especially for buffer-building (download something new, seed it while hot, usually a few days, then delete) and other temporary files. One drive could easily be designated for this. Completely wiping this temporary partition/drive every few months should be enough to avoid heavy fragmentation, no?

Did I understand it correctly that you recommend EXT3=Ordered or JFS for all disks and partitions engaged in P2P activities? For the storage drives, how much free space should be reserved (percentage) to avoid heavy fragmentation (I've heard 10-20%)?

RAID
Thanks to you guys, I won't be using RAID-5 at all. I won't use any RAID at all actually (instead I'll get an external HDD for backups or something). My dad still insists on his RAID-1 though for his PC (he's had system disks fail on him before and he doesn't want any sudden downtime at all), I will tell him to use backups as well.

Thanks!

Cerb

Way beyond HDDs, now...maybe into System Advice territory?

Post by Cerb » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:58 am

krille wrote:Touché on the distros.

Don't use Windows?
First, it's not like Windows won't work. Depending on your experiences and mindset going in, using Linux could be enlightening, or hair-pulling. If you're afraid of the command-line, there's no doubt it will be hair-pulling. Many aspects are going to be odd due to different philosophies used, too (like using root temporarily, sudo, software being gotten from a central place, etc.). OTOH, it won't hurt. If you really don't like it, pick up a Y-cable and go back to Windows (come to think of it, though, I don't think you need do that anymore).
What distribution?
There are other alternatives as well, mainly *BSD and GNU. It's very hard to choose with so many versions available: Literally hundreds (I think there are about 340!) of Linux distros, a few BSD distros (most popular one being FreeBSD) and GNU. What would you recommend, as you seem to have the experience?
Note that I have no experience with dedicated BT boxes, nor BT experience on Linux beyond occasionally using kTorrent (for which I set the global upload limit, set the ports, and go on my merry way).
Keep in mind that this will be my very first media server/NAS/seedbox of any kind, so at this stage everything hasn't got to be perfect and optimized to infinity (it does not have to run efficiently on a 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 32MB RAM...), as long as it works. It will not be used as a desktop (I will probably only have a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to it while initially setting it up, thenceforth it will be accessed remotely via LAN most likely).
1. The purpose is essentially to be able to stow away the box with all the HDDs where I can't hear it, allowing it to be on and working 24/7/365 (rebooting once in a while is fine).
2. Obviously it should act as NAS, everything should be accessible to my main PC running Windows (by mapping network drives).
3. It should act as a BitTorrent seedbox. That means support for a common widely accepted BitTorrent client. Being able to run uTorrent on Linux would be great, as that's the client I'm currently using.
4. Support for a major Direct Connect client wouldn't hurt either. (Although the main PC could do this by sharing the server's contents via mapped network drives.)
5. A front-end for the main PC (I guess Remote Desktop or VNC or something should work fine, maybe uTorrent's web interface or TorrentFlux). After initial configuration of the server, everything else should be done remotely.
6. Since I'm new to Linux/BSD/GNU I'd prefer (to begin with) one of the major distributions (there may be better sites for this), but I don't know.
7. It would be great if all P2P activity packets could be set to low priority (low QoS I think).
8. It would be great if the OS prioritized feeding data to the main system (in case of streaming music or a Blu-Ray movie) before tending to any P2P clients' needs.
First off, will be box be sitting behind a firewall, NATed, or open on the 'net? If NATed, security should be fairly simple. If just on the 'net, you'd need to make sure you have SNORT, and anything else similar in the distro running--it basically needs to be configured like it is a firewall. My firewall here gets thousands of attacks per day of various kinds. If Windows, you would also want something to protect it, and in any OS case, be careful with a web front end (SNORT, combined with other utilities, can detect, log, and prevent intrusion...but you really want a distro where it is configured well by default). Basically, you don't want anyone able to come in through normal attacks coming from bots (there aren't any know exploits, but if they see a server they know, and can hammer it with user/passes all day long...well...). If any service allows restrictions by IPs, only allowing LAN IPs generally does the trick.

2. Samba can do this. KDE has a Samba configuration applet that makes it all very easy.

3. There are many BT clients, and most are easy to use, but less tweakable than uTorrent (if you want to try the linked steps, and run Utorrent, it won't hurt anything to attempt it...but I'd make sure other simple clients like gTorrent and kTorrent, were lacking is some necessary feature). The interfaces are all so similar, I doubt there will be much to worry about, there, unless being a seeder box requires some odd settings that normal client users don't (which also seems unlikely, given BT's nature, as only the trackers should really be special).

4. I haven't the slightest clue what, if any, DC support there is.

5. There may be web controls for some, but VNC works well, too. Over a LAN, the performance of VNC would be fine, even managing things with the GUI. I haven't done it in a long time, but I don't recall setting up a VNC server being difficult in the slightest.

6. Nope. That's generally the site. For an easy desktop, PCLinuxOS is it...IMO. The installer is not the most intuitive, so may take a few tries (there are many places you might want to just go backwards, but only have a cancel option), but it has always been easier for me to set up than just about any other. Then, there's Ubuntu and Fedora, the big bad uber-popular distros. If the box sits behind a firewall, such that you don't need the likes of SNORT or anything, PCLinuxOS should be fine, and would be my first choice, Ubuntu second. Otherwise, Ubuntu or Fedora...but Fedora isn't terribly n00b-friendly (in the sense of how you use the OS, not anything wrong with the surrounding community). Both Ubuntu and Fedora are commonly used as desktops and servers, and Ubuntu Server is pretty nice. The handy thing about that is that security for the box should be easier to set up. You may also get easier or more robust web controls. Read the wikis and forums a lot :). Also, with Ubuntu, while not my favorite distro, has very good forums--good for when you're stuck initially. Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS also both use APT, allowing you to use Synaptic, which is a great GUI package manager.

Note that no matter what distro you use, the Ubuntu and Gentoo Wikis are excellent sources of information.
So what would you recommend?
If it's sitting behind a firewall, and won't get much other server use, check out desktop distros, especially PCLOS and Kubuntu (Ubuntu with a nice default KDE setup), and find one you like. KDE's GUI admin tools could make it all much easier for you; especially the Samba one.

7. I know this can be done, but not how it can be done. It might be easier just to do network work and get a router that can set priority based on port ranges (getting one preloaded w/ DD-WRT would give you more than you'll ever need :)). OTOH, if you leave yourself some upload headroom, it should work fine (set client max uploads so that they'll be a bit less than your actual upload speed). If your concern is mainly download or VOIP performance, limiting upload speed would be enough.

8. If this becomes an issue, it's easy to do, from a process standpoint ("nice" is the word to search for). From a filesystem/drive standpoint, you'd just have to play with it. I doubt this would become a problem, though.
Fragmentation
A partition or a designated drive for (temporary) downloads is a very good idea indeed. Especially for buffer-building (download something new, seed it while hot, usually a few days, then delete) and other temporary files. One drive could easily be designated for this. Completely wiping this temporary partition/drive every few months should be enough to avoid heavy fragmentation, no?
Should be.
Did I understand it correctly that you recommend EXT3=Ordered or JFS for all disks and partitions engaged in P2P activities? For the storage drives, how much free space should be reserved (percentage) to avoid heavy fragmentation (I've heard 10-20%)?
Pretty much. JFS will be closer to NTFS from a bad shutdown, but quicker. That is, it will check things out, recover what it can, and then you can finish booting. Not quite as good as NTFS as getting things back. EXT3 w/ data=ordered or data=journal will get data into a proper state a little better, but could need a FSCK (*n*x equivalent of CHKDSK), which might take many hours on a big drive. Then, you might not get the data back, or it might be forced to give up, and you would then need to go and use other recovery tools to scour the drive, or better, and image of it, for your data, copy it elsewhere, then work on restoring the system. Even when it can be recovered, it might be a long and painful process. But, it gives you a better chance of being able to recover said data at all, which is a huge reason for it being the default FS in most distros.

As far as free space, somewhere in there should be good. Just like with Windows, there isn't a hard limit, as it depends on many variables.
RAID
Thanks to you guys, I won't be using RAID-5 at all. I won't use any RAID at all actually (instead I'll get an external HDD for backups or something). My dad still insists on his RAID-1 though for his PC (he's had system disks fail on him before and he doesn't want any sudden downtime at all), I will tell him to use backups as well.
If your main concern is downtime due to hardware failure, RAID is great. RAID 1 also gives a good bit of extra read performance. The main thing is that it is not a replacement for a backup. It gives you redundancy for your disks...but that might not always be redundancy for your data.

krille

Post by krille » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:04 am

First of all, thanks for your amazing and very helpful replies, Cerb! I have always wanted to get acquainted with Linux. I would probably be using Linux right now if it wasn't for DirectX and games being 'locked' to Windows. =/

1. File Systems
This is very problematic (in my opinion). It seems very hard to convert between JFS and NTFS and extremely time consuming (we're talking about terabytes here) if things don't work out. This makes the file system (FS) incompatibilities very troubling. More so, what if you wanted...
* To get rid of the server in the future and connect the HDDs to desktops running Windows?
* Take a drive to a friend's or parent's house or vice versa, or just connect directly to the main PC for while? (Around me everyone uses Windows.)
If it was only a (few) small partition(s) it wouldn't be a problem (like it usually is), but with terabytes of universal storage? Hmm... Maybe it would just be easier and safer to go with Windows Server 2003 after all? I don't like the idea of depending on the server for accessing my files due to FS incompatibilities between Windows and *n*x. But I'd still like to give Linux a try... I don't know what to do here?

2. Security
The server (and the desktop) should be sufficiently secure while connected directly to the Internet (via a switch, not a router). I don't want to have to rely on a hardware firewall for security. For LAN access, I know that you can set up alternate LAN IPs in Windows (ie every computer can have two IPs, one WLAN IP for the Internet and one LAN IP such as 192.168.x.x). This should make accessing the server from the desktop PC much easier and safer. The server would have to have a software firewall (and [2a] anti-virus if at all needed with Linux? it's not like the server will be used for anything except serving...) of some kind though, against the world. For Windows I have this solved as I have access to legit versions of F-Secure Small Business Suite and the latest Norton (2008/360 2.0/something like that). [2b] You suggested SNORT, it's essentially a firewall for Linux? [2c] Anything else to consider?

3. General Linux
Since I can't guarantee access to a hardware firewall/router, I guess it's Ubuntu for me (as it's the most popular and more "noob friendly" than Fedora). There are a multitude of Ubuntu versions though. I read that Xubuntu is good for servers with GUI remote access (if you want something more efficient than VNC). I want the capability of running headless after all, now for Gbit LAN it shouldn't matter, but still it would be nice have an efficient remote GUI for controlling the server. [3a] Do I really need standard GNOME Ubuntu for the server, or do you reckon Xubuntu would be a better idea? (I've also noted there's a KDE version of Ubuntu: Kubuntu?)

[3b] Wouldn't Samba KDE require Kubuntu (as Ubuntu is GNOME)? [3c] It's a bit confusing (for a Windows user) with all these GTK+, KDE, GNOME, XFCE, etc. If you install Ubuntu, are you locked to GNOME programs? If you install Xubuntu, are you locked to XFCE programs? Or is it just that Ubuntu's GUI itself is GNOME (the desktop, "start" menu, taskbar, etc) but it's still fully compatible with all other GUI:s if you install their respective runtimes (sort of like Java runtime)?

[3d] kTorrent seems like a good BT client. It's obviously based on KDE and it seems you DL the source code. Is it normal to install via source in Linux? Will kTorrent work on Ubuntu (GNOME) and Xubuntu (XCFE)?

[3e] Would you recommend 64-bit or 32-bit Linux? I will probably use either 2x512 MB (1GB) or 2x1024 MB (2GB) for the server, so there will be no need for 64-bit due to RAM. I'm only speculating of course, but shouldn't realistically 32-bit be more stable, have more drivers, better compatibility, wider support and user base, etc, correct?

4. Hardware (Compatibility)
[4a] Are any brands/chipsets better when it comes to Linux compatibility?

It's going to be a relatively cheap and cool AMD 4850E 45W CPU based system. So I need to pick an AM2 board with at least six SATA ports, GLAN, IGP and passive chipset cooling. [4b] Any board/chipset should work with Windows, but what about Linux? I have read hints here and there that Nvidia is better for Linux, correct? So should I get an NV chipset? And the GLAN may require separate drivers from Marvell, Realtek, etc, how will this work (should I avoid certain brands/components etc)?

All in All
Linux seems like a very interesting venture. It would likely perform better if setup right. But the fact that it uses different file systems than Windows has a strong deterring effect on me and makes me very reluctant. I don't want to have to rely on always having a Linux box at hand to read/write to the HDDs. I would like to be able to plug-and-play my HDDs into other [Windows] systems.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:57 am

1. There's a decent EXT2/3 driver for Windows. Wouldn't help when bringing it over to a buddy's house, but might help for easy recovery of data off the server. Beyond that, it's one of those things that's plain annoying, since FAT32, which is an abysmal FS, is the oonly one supported across all modern platforms.

2. a. No AV needed. Maybe one day, but not today. b/c: yes, check wikis and Google. It may be dead simple to lock down enough. Just a case that I haven't a clue about. The main thing is that you want it so nobody can come in and take it over, but that you can do so. Getting that done with it on the 'net may be very easy, but it is very different than with it on a network separated from the internet.

3. a. In Linux, you have X (Xorg), which gives you your GUI. But it's not much more than an interface. What you know as your desktop, with a programs menu, taskbar, desktop, etc., isn't part of that. Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and other Window Managers (WM), give you that (those three are the most complete, and popular). You can install KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and use them all. You are not locked in to their applications. I tend to use XFCE, but use many base KDE applications (like Konqueror for a file manager), and run KDE's control center from it. However, using the one you are configuring with/from can be handy, just from an ease of use standpoint (FI, I don't know, off-hand, if the settings from the KDE Samba applet are applied when you start KDE, or if they are global Samba settings).

b. There are differences between the variants in their installation and default configuration. Think of it sort of like people who went with Win2k3 for a desktop over XP Pro. The same things that you use as a desktop OS are all there, but not all of the same ones are turned on, and there are many small tweaks done that cause them to feel a bit different. With enough work, each Ubuntu variant can be completely converted into another. "With enough work," is the important bit. They do a little more than just install a different desktop by default, but the differences aren't radical, and any how-to for one flavor will work another.

c. Qt and GTK+: nice libraries to build application GUIs. Stick some buttons here, a menu here, open this window like this, and don't bore me with the details. KDE, Gnome, XFCE: desktop, programs and settings menu(s), some desktop-related services (such as automounting/autplaying newly plugged in media). It makes sense after awhile, and ends up simpler than it seems.

3d. It's too to install from source, but typically you don't. Such popular packages, in larger distros, like Ubuntu, will be binary. Search "torrent" in Synaptic (or "apr-cache search torrent" from a console), and you'll get a list. Make sure to get the universe and multiverse repos active, ASAP. Almost everything but Flash and windows codecs is available as source.

e. 32-bit. 64-bit is 99.99% there...bu 32-bit has been 100% here for a long time.

4. a. Intel P35+ and G33+, and VIA. nVidia's (that are easy to get), I'm not sure. I've read issues with some of their very new chipsets, but it's so hard to find the more tested ones, like the 6100, where everything's already been ironed out. AMD/ATI is just as guilty of this. There are no separate drivers, except possibly for video. I think Broadcom is only poorly supported popular NIC. With the fast pace of kernel development, fixes for the 7x00 boards may have already taken place. It's one of those things to look into before ordering. For video, nVidia is definitely better (note the "nv" driver is open source, generally included, and you have to get the "nvidia" driver, which is binary, and based off of the same codebase as current forceware drivers).

Windows compatibility of the FSes is a real concern. I have no answer. Linux isn't always the best option. I'm no FOSS zealot--I happen to like it, and this is just the type of application (file server) it should excel in.

twoscoreandfour

Post by twoscoreandfour » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:52 am

There are in fact 2 ext2 filesystem drivers for windows that work well in the 32-bit versions of windows. EXTIFS is free but not open source, EXT2FSD is open source (and also free). Since ext3 is essentially ext2 with a journal, these drivers will mount any ext3 or ext2 partition.