Supertalent 3rd Gen SSD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aris

Supertalent 3rd Gen SSD

Post by Aris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Supertalent has some new MLC SSD's out. "Masterdrive OX"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

Their 128gb model sells for $439 on newegg which brings the cost per GB down to about $3.50.

Anyone own one from this new OX model line that could crack it open and tell us if these new MLC drives suffer from the same JMicron controller that has plagued MLC SSD's as of late?

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 pm

NVM, i just got an email back from Supertalent:

from Sean Crees <sean.crees@gmail.com>
to support@supertalent.com
date Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:43 PM
subject Masterdrive OX Controller?
mailed-by gmail.com

I was just wondering if you could tell me the controller used on your line of Masterdrive OX MLC SSD drives? Is it the same JMicron controller (JMF602) used in previous MLC SSD Drives?

Also can you tell me if the controller used in this line of drives has any cache at its desposal to sequence data before its written to the MLC chips?

Thanks,
Sean Crees

=====================================

SuperTalent Tech Support
to me

from SuperTalent Tech Support <support@supertalent.com>
to Sean Crees <sean.crees@gmail.com>
date Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM
subject RE: Masterdrive OX Controller?

Dear Customer,

Same JMicron and no DRAM cache.

Best Regards,

Mark.Pedro@Supertalent.Com - MSN Messenger/ Email

Technical Support - Super☆Talent.com
Looks like these new supertalent MLC drives are going to suck just as much as all the other MLC drives on the market.

Turas

Post by Turas » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 am

Thats funny since their site says it has a newly redesigned controller.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am

Turas wrote:Thats funny since their site says it has a newly redesigned controller.
I saw that actually, before i emailed them, but i really wanted a confirmation that it was actually changed before i spent money on an expensive GB per $ mass storage device. I honestly didnt expect a reply, and was really shocked when it came back before the end of the same day that i sent it to them. (So Kudo's on the customer support supertalent).

I was even more shocked that they openly admited that its the exact same controller with no cache as previous MLC drives. I figured it would maybe be some generic "we cant release information blah blah". Perhaps the guy that replied back didnt read the anandtech review yet and didnt realize that admiting it was the exact same controller with no cache was basically shooting their new product in the foot.