How to vertically mount my rubber HD enclosure?Mounts needed

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bg4533

How to vertically mount my rubber HD enclosure?Mounts needed

Post by bg4533 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:00 am

Has anyone here tried to make anything resembling a Smart Drive? I just added a second WD Raptor for RAID 0 and I am trying to figure out how to decouple and quiet these. I currently have them in 3.5"->5.25" adaptors on the bottom of my case sitting on foam. They are very quiet, but I can hear a tiny bit of whine and seek noise when they are going all out. My case is an Antec Plusview 1000. I was considering removing the bottom 3.5" drive tray and somehow mounting 2 smartdrive like enclosures going vertically in the front of the case. These would be decoupled be some sort of grommet/ elastic mount to stop vibration and the enclosures would stop the whine. Unfortunately, after buying 2 Raptors and everything else, I cannot afford another $120 for HD enclosures. These seem rediculously expensive for what they do. Anyone have any idea on how I could create my own. The enclosures would have a 92mm Panaflo L1A and 80mm L1A both at 5V blowing over them. Any ideas? Suggestions for the mounts would be nice as well.

Thanks,
Brian
Last edited by bg4533 on Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:28 am

Well.. one could maybe do it passively with some aluminium or copper plates. Similarly to SilentDrive (not smartdrive). Seems like some HD cooling solutions mainly cools the longer sides of the HD. Maybe its enough to cool these properly. Main problem is to make an enclosure that is both quiet, cool and fits into the case somewhere. :) One could put it outside ofcourse, although somewhat less practical.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:33 pm

I made something from rubber, not metal/foam. It works very well for its cost (~US$10). http://www.silentpcreview.com/goto.php?t=s&id=67&a=1

I just recently tested it against a Smart Drive (not 2002 model) and it's about 75%-85% as effective (my best guess).

bg4533

Post by bg4533 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:00 am

Thanks for the reply. I had seen this earlier, but I didnt think of it when it came time to make it. I think I am going to try to make one of these. How many sheets of rubber did you use? I would also like to mount this like shown in the picture below to reduce vibrations and make the HDs semi rigid in their mounting so the case can be moved. My case is the Antec Plusview 1000 and is currently lined in 1" foam. There is a 80mm Panaflo L1A and a 92mm Panaflo L1A both at 5V that will blow over the enclosures. To mount the HDs like this I will need to remove the bottom HD rack and tray. The main question I have now is what sort of mount I can use to hold the HDs up like this and reduce vibrations. I would like something hard enough that the HDs dont bounce all over, but I would ideally like it to reduce all vibrations. A specific part from McMaster or a DIY suggestion would be appreciated. Foam would probably work, but I would like something more permanant.

Thanks,
Brian

bg4533

Post by bg4533 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:32 pm

I am thinking of using Polyurethane Cylindrical Sandwich Mounts from McMaster. http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/109/html/1212.html#. I would use the one labeled number 1. Any suggestions on size or which hardness to use. I have no experience with this stuff, so I dont understand the durometer stuff. Would those top screws stay in the rubber? The bottom would them go through grommets that are in drilled holes in the bottom of the case and be bolted on. I havent decided on how I will attach the top yet, but I am thinking a bolt sticking through a grommet will provide support. All the top should have to do is keep the drives standing up. Will this give good enough results for what it is going to cost. I have next week off work, so I would like to get this stuff done then. That means I need to order it soon, but I want some opinions first. Thanks,
Brian

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:53 am

Well my vertical setup is very quiet, very cool, with the drives easy to remove.....plus it takes no space in the case. It was made out of parts I had in stock (heh). It also removes all drive heat from the computer.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bluefront100 ... %26.view=t