External Storage - two options, advice please.II

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

verbyl.belch

External Storage - two options, advice please.II

Post by verbyl.belch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 pm

I've got this posted in the system advice forum but it hasn't got much attention so i thought i give here a go...

I've got quite a lot of data that i want to back up and i had originally wanted a backup solution incorporating RAID1 (mirroring) for added security. So i was looking along the lines of a DAS (i don't need a NAS) or creating a "psuedo-RAID1" array by using two external hard drives and saving the data to each (thus creating a mirror).

I've gone away and had a re-think and i've come up with these two options. Your opinions/advice would be extremely useful.

I've had to reasess the amount i've got to spend so can't afford to buy two 1TB drives (...yet) so both solutions will have to survive 6 months alone.

So....two solutions, A and B:

A) Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential II - £85

B) Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F1 hard drive - £80 in this enclosure (which i already own).

Two discussion points would be, first, that the WD has only a USB connection whereas my enclosure accepts USB, FW and eSATA. (my laptop doesn't have eSATA-but i could get an adapter later down the line).

Second, the WD has an auto on and off function which, as i understand it, is if the disk has idled for a preset period of time the drive and WD enclosure will shut down. The icybox has no such option and the enclosure and drive will be left on. UNLESS, i can set the drive to turn off after a set period of "idle-ness"?

The main attraction of the WD's auto on/off, in addition to being energy conscious, is that i can leave the computer on and schedule a back-up it will be able to backup. If i forget to turn on the icybox, no back-up (obviously) can occur.

Reilability is a big issue for me as 1TB is a lot of data! As for the pseudo-RAID1/RAID1, when funds free up i'll buy a second drive and use SyncToy to create the backups.

Any input guys and gals? :?:

Cheers

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:08 pm

icybox is fanless, which is good for silence, and you can find some freeware backup app, i'm sure, that would let you schedule a back-up.

as for switching it off - while the drive is not accessed, it's going to idle and draw very little current. a couple of watts are not exactly a deal breaker.

on the other hand, a pre-packaged backup solution, while not silent, is easier to setup.

bkh

Post by bkh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Recall that Western Digital enforces anti-piracy restrictions for 30 multimedia file types if you use their Anywhere Access software for the WD My Book.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7136069.stm

If you find their "Big Brother" approach offensive, this could be a reason to avoid the WD My Book and build your own external enclosure + drive.