Removable 2.5" drive bay in Antec NSK-3480?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AlpineCarver

Removable 2.5" drive bay in Antec NSK-3480?

Post by AlpineCarver » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:49 pm

i'm putting together a new build that requires booting from a removable 2.5" drive.

i intend to use the Startech HSB220SAT25B trayless removable drive bay. i will generally use only one 2.5" drive, which i will put into the top slot, which is open to the air, unlike the bottom slot, which is mostly enclosed:

my first impulse is to put this into my favorite case, the Antec NSK-3480:

it would go into the upper 5.25" drive bay, with a short optical drive in the lower 5.25" drive bay.

the removable drive bay, which is a 3.5" device, would be put into a "floppy mounting bracket," to mount it in the 5.25" drive bay.

unfortunately, if i mount it as described above, it may not get enough air flow to keep the 2.5" drive cool. i would probably drill holes in the mounting bracket and block some of the holes in the top of the NSK-3480, to force some air flow over the 2.5 drive (there's negative pressure in the upper section of the case, because of the outward-pointing power supply fan). given my shop skills, the holes in the bracket would probably end up being somewhat unsightly and would be a direct path for noise to escape from the case, but it's the best idea i've come up with, so far.

i could just put the removable drive bay in the NSK-3480's 3.5" drive bay, but that looks like an even deader air space.

alternatively, i have an old Lian-Li PC-V1100B case that i could re-purpose for this task. it would muffle any noise from 2.5" drive behind a door, and its cavernous size would easily allow me to add a slow 120mm fan aimed at the 2.5" drive to keep it cool. it's a much simpler solution, but i'm resisting having that monster back in my office, when i could have the tiny, cute NSK-3480.

i'd welcome any suggestions anyone may have...
Last edited by AlpineCarver on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:42 am

I think the general feeling is that 2.5" drives intended for use in notebooks, which are the most common kind of 2.5" drive, don't really need much airflow, as they certainly don't get it inside a notebook.

AlpineCarver

Post by AlpineCarver » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:36 pm

finally got the system put together.
see my latest post in the general gallery.

you're right about the notebook drives being cool. the one i'm using is as cool as a cucumber with modest air flow.