m^2

OCZ PCIe 1 SI TB SSD

Post by m^2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:59 am

Price?
$1500.

Sources (and pictures):
http://www.jmax-hardware.com/news/ocz-zdrive.html
http://www.revioo.com/news/zdrive-ssd-ocz-n12467.html

Don't trust benchmarks, at least in one case OCZ cheated by using data size that fits in the cache, most likely they are all wrong.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:03 am

Sustained write, sustained for how long? From my experience with their drives hung off a "hardware-based RAID controller with 256MB of cache", not very long.

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:58 am

It's already been outed as a RocketRaid card with four naked 250GB Vertex drives attached via SATA, all crammed into a plastic housing to hide the mess. It's no FusionIO drive - just a marketing gimmick. There's even photos showing the grey plastic molding, later painted black to look like an anodised heatsink.

Poor marketing in my opinion - damages OCZ's reputation just as they kicked a goal with the Vertex SSD.

Ross1

Post by Ross1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:23 am

Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:43 am

bgiddins wrote:It's already been outed as a RocketRaid card with four naked 250GB Vertex drives attached via SATA, all crammed into a plastic housing to hide the mess. It's no FusionIO drive - just a marketing gimmick. There's even photos showing the grey plastic molding, later painted black to look like an anodised heatsink.

Poor marketing in my opinion - damages OCZ's reputation just as they kicked a goal with the Vertex SSD.
It looks like it clearly states it's MLC flash memory (vs. volatile RAM used in devices like FusionIO) . Still not a product I would look at to purchase, though.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:56 am

Capsaicin wrote:
bgiddins wrote:It's already been outed as a RocketRaid card with four naked 250GB Vertex drives attached via SATA, all crammed into a plastic housing to hide the mess. It's no FusionIO drive - just a marketing gimmick. There's even photos showing the grey plastic molding, later painted black to look like an anodised heatsink.

It looks like it clearly states it's MLC flash memory (vs. volatile RAM used in devices like FusionIO) . Still not a product I would look at to purchase, though.
Can you buy 4 250 SI GB Vertexes and controller for this price? You can't even get crappy JMicrons with such capacity for $1500, not to mention controller.

ADDED: Which controller? HighPoint site doesn't mention any SATA / SAS one with Marvell chipset and PCIe x8.
Capsaicin wrote:

FusionIO is not a RAM device. It's just regular flash, SLC or MLC depending on a model.
Last edited by m^2 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:06 am

m^2 wrote:
Capsaicin wrote:

Can you buy 4 250 SI GB Vertexes and controller for this price? You can't even get crappy JMicrons with such capacity for $1500, not to mention controller.
Capsaicin wrote:

FusionIO is not a RAM device. It's just regular flash, SLC or MLC depending on a model.
I agree this is an awesome deal for 1500 dollars. If i had it, I certainly would!

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:38 pm

m^2 wrote: Can you buy 4 250 SI GB Vertexes and controller for this price? You can't even get crappy JMicrons with such capacity for $1500, not to mention controller.

ADDED: Which controller? HighPoint site doesn't mention any SATA / SAS one with Marvell chipset and PCIe x8.
The case contains a RocketRaid 3520...

When I asked in a thread if the device was four Vertex crammed into a housing on an existing RAID card, the answer was "More or less".

To quote:

"Give a bunch of them a stack of Vertex, a few RAID cards, and they come back with some monster."

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am

What is OCZ doing? Their reputation vis-a-vis SSDs is already problematic; they better be careful.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 am

bgiddins wrote:
m^2 wrote: Can you buy 4 250 SI GB Vertexes and controller for this price? You can't even get crappy JMicrons with such capacity for $1500, not to mention controller.

The case contains a RocketRaid 3520...

When I asked in a thread if the device was four Vertex crammed into a housing on an existing RAID card, the answer was "More or less".

To quote:

"Give a bunch of them a stack of Vertex, a few RAID cards, and they come back with some monster."
Nice find. So there's 256 MB cache on the controller. So 0 on the drives. So there's no Vertex inside. JMicron crap again?

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Apparently so...

Capsaicin

Post by Capsaicin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:27 am

m^2 wrote:
Capsaicin wrote:It looks like it clearly states it's MLC flash memory (vs. volatile RAM used in devices like FusionIO) . Still not a product I would look at to purchase, though.
My mistake. So why are all these other SSDs so slow? :?

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 am

Capsaicin wrote: My mistake. So why are all these other SSDs so slow? :?
No cache to sequence data. Every SSD with built in cache, or any SSD used with a raid controller with cache runs fine.

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:08 pm

Aris wrote:
Capsaicin wrote: My mistake. So why are all these other SSDs so slow? :?
No cache to sequence data. Every SSD with built in cache, or any SSD used with a raid controller with cache runs fine.
That's true. I'm using Vertex 30GB (which has a 32MB cache) since yesterday and I can see much improvement over previous gen SSD's, but still when drive is filling up performance is dropping. It would be interesting to see some benchmarks of the filled ZDrive.

m^2

Post by m^2 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:17 am

Capsaicin wrote:
m^2 wrote:
Capsaicin wrote:It looks like it clearly states it's MLC flash memory (vs. volatile RAM used in devices like FusionIO) . Still not a product I would look at to purchase, though.
My mistake. So why are all these other SSDs so slow? :?
All? X-25E? ZeusIOPS?
There are fast drives. They just cost a lot.

budoongz

Post by budoongz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:48 pm

its really shown of picture, maybe they can replace this

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:22 am

Looks like this is going to market after all... but with something like a 40mm fan embedded as a cooling solution!!! So much for silent SSDs.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/f ... xpress_ssd

m^2

Post by m^2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:16 am

And the price....pointless. :roll: