No AAM on WD10EADS-00M2B0?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Terje

No AAM on WD10EADS-00M2B0?

Post by Terje » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Just happened to try to get/set AAM settings on a new 2 platter 1TB GP I bought a week ago:
---
hdparm -M /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: No such device

hdparm -M 0 /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
setting acoustic management to 0
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: No such device
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: No such device

---

I cat get/set other values, so the device is definitely there, and I got no problems with doing this on other WDC and Samsung devices connected to this machine.

I have not tried this disk on a different machine using some of the windows tools or the Hitatchi Feature Tool.

Has anyone else tried to get/set AAM on this drive yet?

Anyone

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:36 am

Have you tried to set AAM from Windows (with HD Tune 3.5 Pro for eg.)?
Could you post some transfer rate graphs for this drive? I'm interested in buying it so I appreciate any feedback. Cheers!

whiic

Post by whiic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:19 am

HD Tune Pro sounds awfully payware. HDDScan should be able to do it, free of charge. It does often have problems reading current AAM value, but it's success ratio at changing is far better than reading. And that's what matters. Install AIDA32 and use it's included HDD benchmark plug-in to verify random access time change and whether AAM was successfully changed.

Other option is Hitachi FTOOL on bootable floppy. And if you don't have a floppy drive, you can always burn yourself a free copy of Ultimate Boot CD which includes FTOOL (along with many other freeware). FTOOL can be burned to CD as well, but if you're burning a CD, you might actually make it UBCD instead of single-purpose.

Terje

Post by Terje » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 am

The disk is already part of a raid 1, so need a suitable time to break that up and run some test separately, but if I get time over the next week, I'll do it.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:10 pm

I bought a Western Digital WD10EADS Green 1TB for a friend a while ago and turned AAM on with HDDScan 3.2. It should work you too.

URL: http://hddscan.com/

RaptorX

Post by RaptorX » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Terje wrote:The disk is already part of a raid 1, so need a suitable time to break that up and run some test separately, but if I get time over the next week, I'll do it.
Thanks a lot. Maybe when you'll take it out of the RAID config you'll be able to set the AAM as well.