Torx screwdriver size for hard drives?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kyhtael

Torx screwdriver size for hard drives?

Post by Kyhtael » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:04 pm

the story:

my WD3200AAKS (single platter) drive just crashed due to motherboard failure, and now I'm sure the drive is fine but the logic board is fried. so I need to find another similar drive with the same logic board so I can transfer my data off, but I can't figure out what size the torx screws are to get the logic board off of the drive. I'm posting here because the logic board was taken off in the review.

so basically I have two questions:

what is the torx screw size on the WD3200AAKS single platter drive? (might be the same as other WD drives, I don't know, thus posting)

and I need to find another, similar drive with a manufacture date of around Jan 24th 08 (same as in the review), where would be the best place to find one? I live in vancouver if that helps. or if anyone has a spare around vancouver they're willing to sell/lend that would also be great!

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:25 pm

The screws on my WD10EACS are T8.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:56 pm

My WD6400AAKS has T9 screws, and that's by far the most common size on hard drives in my experience.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:40 pm

It is possible mine are T9 too, I don't have a head of that size so I can't confirm.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:18 am

line wrote:It is possible mine are T9 too, I don't have a head of that size so I can't confirm.
A T8 head will fit in a T9, but it will be loose. When you have the right size, it will fit perfectly.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Now that you mention it, yeah, it does feel slightly loose. So OP can count that as a T9. I agree this screw size is common on hard drives.

As for the best place to find a replacement board, I would try eBay. You can find plenty of used drives over there and inquire about the PCB labeling as needed. It's also worth asking around, because the 320GB capacity point was very popular on desktops until recently (when 500GB/1TB took over) and WD is a common brand, but if you borrow a board from a working drive be sure to back it up entirely in advance.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 am

My bet would be:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/

If the data is that important, it might be worth just buying a replacement. I wouldn't count on someone lending you a drive to take apart.

Kyhtael

Post by Kyhtael » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:30 pm

thanks for the size
Riffer wrote:My bet would be:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/

If the data is that important, it might be worth just buying a replacement. I wouldn't count on someone lending you a drive to take apart.
buying a replacement is ideal, I don't expect anyone to lend me one. the trouble is finding one with a similar manufacturer date.

I had a look around at ebay, craigslist, didn't think to look at redflagdeals though, thanks. I didn't find anything but I'll keep checking

I'll also be going to toronto/ottowa for a week-long trip if anyone knows about where to get one there.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:01 am

I would try http://www.pcbsolution.com/. Their website is a little out of date, but they have a lot of PCBs in stock, shoot them an email. They're Canada-based too, but I got a PCB for a Seagate drive from them in less than a week (I'm in the UK). Very good communication as well, had at least 4 back n forth emails asking questions before I ordered via eBay :).