Which NAS to buy?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ck8-04

Which NAS to buy?

Post by ck8-04 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:54 pm

I'm looking for a NAS that has a gigabit connection, torrent support, and at least 2 bays with RAID 1 support. A decent web interface would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I'll be streaming 1080p videos through this so I'd like for it to be decently fast as well. Oh yes, it must be quiet.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:04 am

toughy with a nas is there's really no way to suspend/isolate the drives, so it will never be really"quiet". plus if you mod a nas to silence it, you probably void the warranty.
but building one yourself will give you the features and performance you want all in one package.

sNNooPY

Re: Which NAS to buy?

Post by sNNooPY » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:06 am

ck8-04 wrote:I'm looking for a NAS that has a gigabit connection, torrent support, and at least 2 bays with RAID 1 support. A decent web interface would be nice, but not an absolute necessity. I'll be streaming 1080p videos through this so I'd like for it to be decently fast as well. Oh yes, it must be quiet.
how about building your own?
Small form case + some ION board (Zotac?), HDD, and you're set.

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Since there's no way to silence one of those small NAS's, I guess building my own is the way to go. Thanks for the replies!

battleangel

Post by battleangel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:25 pm

This DIY stuff got me interested. I was looking at a Synology or QNAP NAS myself, but have my doubts, about noise levels and torrent speeds. Basically I've been harassing both companies about the ability of a 1.2GHz ARM based NAS to handle high speed (20Mbit+) encrypted torrents. And they have been less than forthcoming.

My main motivation however for getting a NAS is power consumption. And I was kind of wondering how low you could get with this ATOM / ION thing. I googled up some reviews of the Zotac board but it doesn't seem very promising. It's already 10W above a typical dual bay NAS. And that is with some SSD drive. Two ordinary terabyte drives would probably add another 10W to that. A typical NAS would probably be 20-25W (idle-load) or even less depending on the drives. It seems to me the ION is a little bit overkill if you just want a NAS.

Using green drives, would you say that the noise from a NAS would be problematic in the first place?

Namheul

Post by Namheul » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:06 pm

I wouldnt bother with an ION board. Why do you need HD capable graphics on a NAS?

I use a Foxconn board which has a N270 Atom, and it works fine.