Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (HD103SJ) , is it silent?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fnukyguy

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (HD103SJ) , is it silent?

Post by fnukyguy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:30 pm

anyone tried the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (HD103SJ) ?
how is the noise level? is it the quietest 1 tb 7200rpm around?

canadian

Post by canadian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 am

FWIW, I own a Samsung F1 Spinpoint. All the benchmarks for Samsung F2 and F3 models show an improvement over the F1. I think Samsung drives are good. Some say the vibration for those are a bit high but if you mount it a certain way, it probably cuts down on the vibration.

I also think Samsung is the most consistent, imho, compared to the other brands. I guess that is kind of funny considering the other brands more or less are disk drive manufacturers but maybe Samsung has more money to invest in R&D and QC? I am leaning towards a F2 or F3 but for storage so probably an EcoGreen. The main problem for me, though, is that they are not available locally and I do prefer to just pick up in store. I'll order if I have to, though.

If you need an 'OS drive', I would not hesitate to consider a Samsung F3 Spinpoint. But, that's my two cents.

mickeh

Post by mickeh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:29 am

All the benchmarks for Samsung F2 and F3 models show an improvement over the F1.
I've seen sound measurements for F3 on THG, and it shows that F3 1 TB is a bit louder than F1 1 TB, both idle and seek (but 500GB is quieter).

As you said the vibration is supposed to be problematic, maybe this is coloring the measurements?

PeterL
*Lifetime Patron*

surprisingly silent

Post by PeterL » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:13 am

I just installed a Samsung 1,5TB (F2 EcoGreen) and I'm surprised how silent it is compared to the Seagates I was using before (IIRC, 7200.8 250GB and 500GB). If only my Raptor boot disk was as silent, my PC would be near inaudible !

Peter.

nwbdan

Post by nwbdan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 am

I own an F3 Spinpoint 1Tb. To me it seems to vibrate a bit across my recent Centurion 600 Cooler Master case.

It most certainly vibrates more than my 500Gb F3 which is a quiet and fast drive and great for its price (got it for 43€).

I haven't tried suspending it or even just unplugging it to know for sure its the drive. But whenever it spins up you can definitely notice a hum from vibration (even though after a while you just don't mind it at all - dunno if it has variable spinning modes or if its just me that get used to it).

Cheers