SSD for old PATA laptop

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cmthomson

SSD for old PATA laptop

Post by cmthomson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Just a note for those interested...

Runcore makes PATA SSD drives that are compatible with old laptops. I upgraded an ancient ThinkPad with one of these, with great results. It's silent (of course), uses way less power (of course) and is WAY faster (of course) than the disk it replaced.

It did cost more than the laptop was worth, but IMHO more than doubled its value.

Distributed in the US by MyDigitalDiscount.com.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 am

I installed a Kingspec SSD into an X40. Much quieter and faster.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:27 pm

RunCore uses the Indilix controller; KingSpec uses the JMicron controller. On a desktop, this might matter a lot, but on a lightly used laptop it's probably not important.

highlandsun

Post by highlandsun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 am

I replaced a dead Hitachi 100Gb 7200rpm drive with a Transcend 128GB SSD several months ago in my Asus M6Ne laptop. I think it was around $380. Cheaper than the Runcore, no idea about the relative performance though. Still can't beat the deal I got with my 256GB Samsung SSD from Dell for $480.

sgarfinkle

Post by sgarfinkle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:44 am

alleycat wrote:I installed a Kingspec SSD into an X40. Much quieter and faster.
Ditto and Ditto. However, warning: A year later, my kingspec drive started getting flaky and then finally completely died. I mailed it back to the factory in China a few days ago. Although I'm sure they'll fix and replace it, it is pretty annoying.

nicko

Post by nicko » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:16 am

sgarfinkle wrote:
alleycat wrote:I installed a Kingspec SSD into an X40. Much quieter and faster.
Ditto and Ditto. However, warning: A year later, my kingspec drive started getting flaky and then finally completely died. I mailed it back to the factory in China a few days ago. Although I'm sure they'll fix and replace it, it is pretty annoying.
Did your drive stutter? I'm also considering replacing my 40gb Hitachi drive from X41...