HDD loudest part in system

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BlackWhizz

HDD loudest part in system

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 am

Ok thats a good thing. But i think the drive is resonating.

Case is a P180 mini and i thought those rubber mounting grommets were against the resonating. Is it possible to fix it?

I can mount it in rubbers but i dont want to because i go to lans and during transport i dont want falling drives.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 24, 2010 6:31 am

If you have it mounted too firmly (the silicone pads give a lot of leeway) then the effectiveness of the rubber doo-dads is reduced. You don't want it loose enough to be wobbly, but you don't want the pads to be significantly compressed.

But I don't think suspension mounting necessarily implies insecure mounting.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 24, 2010 6:38 am

Hmm, do you have any experience? Because my hdd cage still vibrates a little bit. Does your cage vibrate?

Because i've bought a quiet drive (WD6400AAKS) and its not silent at all (i can hear it 5 metres away from the pc).

CA_Steve

Re: HDD loudest part in system

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 am

BlackWhizz wrote:I can mount it in rubbers but i dont want to because i go to lans and during transport i dont want falling drives.
There is a secure way to do this if you are concerned about the HDD slipping out of the elastic during transport.

- Tie off four elastic bands in the HDD cage.
- Get a large cable tie and put it loosely over the front quarter of the HDD.
- Thread the two forward elastic bands through it and tighten the cable tie.
- Tie off the two elastic bands.
- Repeat on the rear quarter of the HDD.

BlackWhizz

Re: HDD loudest part in system

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 24, 2010 10:49 am

CA_Steve wrote:
BlackWhizz wrote:I can mount it in rubbers but i dont want to because i go to lans and during transport i dont want falling drives.
There is a secure way to do this if you are concerned about the HDD slipping out of the elastic during transport.

- Tie off four elastic bands in the HDD cage.
- Get a large cable tie and put it loosely over the front quarter of the HDD.
- Thread the two forward elastic bands through it and tighten the cable tie.
- Tie off the two elastic bands.
- Repeat on the rear quarter of the HDD.
Sorry, English is not my main language. I really dont get it how to do that. Do you have a picture or something to make it more clear?

Srry :oops:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

Sorry no pictures

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 am

I have a Mini P180 and I'm using the stock mounting mechanism for my drives. Some vibration is transferred to the cage, but it's not excessive. I just transported the Seagate 1 TB drive from my previous computer; it wasn't originally purchased as a particularly quiet drive. It's about as loud as my fans, but my fans are pretty quiet now. Right now I'm only using the cage with the vertical mounting, as I only have one mechanical drive plus an SSD boot drive. I don't know if the vertical or horizontal cage is better for damping.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 pm

fwiffo wrote:I have a Mini P180 and I'm using the stock mounting mechanism for my drives. Some vibration is transferred to the cage, but it's not excessive. I just transported the Seagate 1 TB drive from my previous computer; it wasn't originally purchased as a particularly quiet drive. It's about as loud as my fans, but my fans are pretty quiet now. Right now I'm only using the cage with the vertical mounting, as I only have one mechanical drive plus an SSD boot drive. I don't know if the vertical or horizontal cage is better for damping.
Hmm, im using the cage where you mount the drives vertical in. How would you describe it. Can you feel the vibrations on the metal plate which holds the cage (on the bottom of the vertical mount cage).

Because mine does. If it isnt in your case i have to much tension on the rubber grommets.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Ok, here are some links to pictures of using a cable tie + elastic.

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/pic1kj.jpg/
http://img179.imageshack.us/i/pic2xj.jpg/
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/pic3uu.jpg/
http://img16.imageshack.us/i/pic4xsf.jpg/

It took me longer to shoot, edit, and upload the pictures than to make the suspension kit.

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Mon May 24, 2010 2:38 pm

I can BARELY feel the vibration from the drive spinning. Compared to feeling the drive itself, it's almost nothing. I can feel it when it seeks, but it's not very audible.

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Another way of preventing the drive from slipping out of elastic suspension, is to use big thumbscrews such as in this picture.

BlackWhizz

Post by BlackWhizz » Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Hmm, brings me on ideas. I have some old dvd drives lying around. Might do some modding on them :)

First im gonna try to untighten the screws in the hdd box a little more.

bozar

Post by bozar » Tue May 25, 2010 6:29 am

http://bayimg.com/daMlMAAcp

Fasten elastic and screws with cable ties, very safe and no vibrations.