Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB high frequency noise?!

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

repsak

Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB high frequency noise?!

Post by repsak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 am

Hi, I have bought a computer with an Antec Solo case and I have only two 120mm fans in it. The only thing I can hear is my hard drive (Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB) which makes a high frequency noise in idle mode. Of course, I also hear the seek noise, but that noise is not disturbing. The hard drive is already detached from the case. Is there a good way how I could get rid of this high frequency noise (e.g. Scythe Quiet Drive SQD-1000)? Thank you very much, repsak

repsak

Re: Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB high frequency noise?!

Post by repsak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:09 pm

... or should I buy e.g. a WD15EADS or WD15EARS and sell my current hard drive?

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:20 pm

I had the same issue with my Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB hard drive. Shoved it inside a Nexus Drive-A-Way enclosure, only loosely screwed together, and it eliminates something like 90% of the high frequency noise. :) It still vibrates a fair bit though, and I'm working on how to suspend the huge thing inside my P182 case.

Photo

As for using a 5400RPM drive, I had a similar idea of using a 1TB Caviar Green (WD10EARS). After installing the drive, I found out that it still has that high frequency noise, only not as noticeable as the Spinpoint F1. I'd say that the Caviar Green 1TB has about half of the high frequency noise of the Spinpoint F1. Certainly an improvement, but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the performance hit (if using it for the operating system/programs).

repsak

Post by repsak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Great, thank you, I'm using the hard drive for the operating system, so I'll start looking for an enclosure.