WD20EARS 2TB or the new Samsung F4 2TB

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pectin232

WD20EARS 2TB or the new Samsung F4 2TB

Post by pectin232 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:07 am

I like both.. but Samsung is a 32mb cache While the WDEARS is a 64MB cache.. which one is faster... I am not planning to do any RAID just as storage only but streaming to Home theater using TVERSity.... advise. The extra cache I thought might help.. ideas?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Samsung F4. I would get the drive with the highest density always. It'll be quieter, use less power, and often faster. Plus the WDEARS drives don't have the best compatibility record.
F4 is currently on sale at newegg for 100.

Flanno

Post by Flanno » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

I have both. The Samsung wins in performance easily and is just as quiet as the WD.

viewtopic.php?t=59946

See last post for some benches. The cache makes no difference. Also, since June alot of places are shipping the WDEARS with the same platter density as the Samsung who contrary to some claims are not the 1st to ship this type of drive. The one I ran benches with is the 3 platter WD, and the Samsung is still faster.

likwidsh0k

Post by likwidsh0k » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:47 pm

Any news on the new Samsungs RAID compatibility?

Have read the WD greens have problems and though I think unrelated the Sammies have the same new 4k sector size but still keen to know if the new ones are fine for RAID like the previous models?

Also is there any reports of humming (my thread - viewtopic.php?t=59886) with the new ones or any of the 5400 Sammies for that matter? This review of the F3 2TB looks like they probably will..

"Another quirk, though the drive itself is not at all noisy, we did stumble into the fact that the HDD resonates a lot. If you pick it up while it's active, you can feel the vibrations in your hand. So if you insert it into a PC, make sure you have it tucked away in some sort of rubber mount as resonation and vibration can be an issue for some of you, it can create noise when the PC chassis starts to pick up that vibration."

http://www.guru3d.com/article/samsung-s ... d-review/9

I am having a helluva time finding a decent HDD, my Seagate failed and plenty of clicking reports, the 1.5/2 TB WD greens are no good for RAID and have about a 25% failure rate based on Newegg, and the Sammies hum :(

EDIT: Sorry should have read that thread linked above, but re: the noise.. great news! "First off, I can hear them seek when I run the HDTune read test but they don't cause the case to hum like the blacks do or make weird seeking noises like my old F3's. They are pretty quiet."