Which three-platter 2TB for raid?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jasper

Which three-platter 2TB for raid?

Post by Jasper » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:08 am

I've been looking into the Samsung F4EG 2TB, versus the newer 3-platter WD20EARS. My current inclination is to go with the latter for my new 5x2 raid set.

Drives will be used with linux software-raid5. I've currently got a set of 4 WD10AAKSes, and these work fine. I have not had issues with them dropping out of the raid due to lack of TLER. Does anyone know of a reason why I should consider the Samsungs instead?
Last edited by Jasper on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:56 pm

If the new 3 platter WD20EARS is like the WD15EARS then the WD is the way to go.

Anyone here used the new 3 platter WD 2TB yet?

bradc

Post by bradc » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:05 pm

The 3 platter 2tb uses the same chassis as other WD 2 and 3 platter drives. This means the spindle isn't attached at the top as it is on 4 platter drives.

discopig

Post by discopig » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:05 pm

Ive actually been looking into this same question myself. From what I am reading, I am leaning towards avoiding the EARS WD drives as they have quite a few issues in raid.

The first is that that they drop out of the raid array because of TLER (for others lurking who haven't heard about this problem - basically when the HDD dectects an error, it will take a "long time" to try to correct that error, because it takes a "long time", the raid controller assumes that the hdd has failed and removes it from the array). This means that you have to manually re-add it to the array possibly with a rebuild. This is a more common problem with raid 5 and 6 arrays from what I have been reading and more common with hardware raids (which is likely why you havent had any issues with your linux based raid5).

The second is the frequent head parking which leads to premature failure. Havent read a ton about this one though. Something to look into.

I am thinking of doing my new server with the F4 Samsungs, or perhaps a "raid" grade WD. Still haven't decided (am still at the contemplation stage of my server build). Probably around 12 x 2tb drives, raid 6, one hotspare.

Does linux play nicely with 4k blocks or does it prefer 512 hdd? The F4s I believe use 4k blocks with 512 emulation so the OS just sees a 512 block. Correct me if I am wrong, but the EARS shows the OS the 4K block correct?

Fayd

Re: Which three-platter 2TB for raid?

Post by Fayd » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Jasper wrote:I've been looking into the Samsung F4EG 2TB, versus the newer 3-platter WD20EARS. My current inclination is to go with the latter for my new 5x2 raid set.

Drives will be used with linux software-raid5. I've currently got a set of 4 WD10AAKSes, and these work fine. I have not had issues with them dropping out of the raid due to lack of TLER. Does anyone know of a reason why I should consider the Samsungs instead?
TLER isn't an issue with linux software raid.