Western Digital Caviar Green
54%
Samsung Eco Green F4
38%

Total votes: 13

grappler

Quiet 2TB Hard drive - Which one to chose

Post by grappler » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 am

I am interested in buying a new hard drive i need more space.

I was looking into for a quiet 2TB Hard drive. They three below cost the same, so is there any difference or just everyone has their own preference.

Seagate Barracuda 5900
Western Digital Caviar Green
Samsung Eco Green F4

Thank you for any help. :D

faugusztin

Re: Quiet 2TB Hard drive - Which one to chose

Post by faugusztin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:16 am

I have 6 WD20EARS in my fileserver, 2 of them are 4-platter, the rest is 3-platter. Plus 4 WD10EADS :). I can sleep with the computer in same room, the server is impossible to hear at day at all and relatively quiet in night (there is a cabinet between my bed and the server, that cuts the noise even more as there is no direct path for sound to my ears when sleeping).

guermantes

Post by guermantes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:24 pm

I did not vote because I have only experience of the WD2terabyteEARS. I am however very pleased with that one and I can't notice any vibration noise and while I can hear the air turbulence whoosh that comes from the platter spinning if I concentrate, I don't think I would be bothered by it if I removed my noisier 7200 spinpoint.

netmask254

Post by netmask254 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:36 pm

WD Green series should be the most quiet one, however its performance is also very low especially EARS which has the so called "Advanced 4KB Format". If you have other disk such like SSD as system, go ahead and always avoid it as system disk.

grappler

Post by grappler » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:12 am

@ netmask254, faugusztin

That is what i am looking for a quiet HDD for my large video collection.

I have been hearing about the WD parking/unparking (+LCC) issues. Is it something I should take into account?
Last edited by grappler on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyranuus

Post by tyranuus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:20 am

Just got an F4 Ecogreen drive. Its noticeably quieter than the the old F3EG it's replacing; and it's transfering my files at almost 90MBps. Given it'll be reading media sequentially not being used as a system drive that's all I could want; and going on SPR's review noise/vibration-wise its on the same level as the other best in class 5400RPM drives, with decent performance to boot.

In the UK it seems to amongst the cheapest (I got mine for £65!), so unless it turns out to be unreliable, I see no reason not to recommend it :)