Are there any 2-platter 2TB Hd?

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

Are there any 2-platter 2TB Hd?

Post by dan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:47 am

Are there any 2-platter 2TB Hd to buy now with areal density of 625Gb/in2?
preferably samsung or wd ecogreen

don't really like seagate

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2 ... platters/1

seagate unveils 1TB hard drive platters

Published on 4th May 2011 by Harry Butler

27 Comments
News

Seagate unveils 1TB hard drive platters

Platter densities have doubled in the last two years.
Fresh from acquiring Samsung's hard drive business for a cool $1.375 billion, Seagate has now announced the world's first 3.5in hard disk drive with 1TB platters.

We've seen plenty of increases in the capacity of hard disk platters in the last few years, with 750GB platters previously topping the chart.

However, these new 1TB platters have an areal density of 625Gb/in2, which is currently the highest areal density in the world, potentially paving the way for cheaper and faster high-capacity hard drives.

Using the new platters, 1TB drives now only need to be shipped with a single platter rather than multiple-platters, while 3TB drives can easily be produced using three platters. It seems amazing that it was only just over two years ago that Seagate announced its first 500GB platters, with just half the capacity.

The new drives will be released under the Seagate Barracuda XT brand for internal drives, and under the Seagate GoFlex brand for external drives. The drives are scheduled to hit retailers in mid-2011, and will be available in 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB and 3TB capacities.

It's hard to believe that hard disk capacity has doubled in the last two years. Is our need for storage really insatiable? Will cheaper storage encourage even more HD content, or have we hit a storage plateau? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

multiplexer

Re: Are there any 2-platter 2TB Hd?

Post by multiplexer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:27 pm

What specifically do you dislike about the seagate?

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 pm

multiplexer wrote:What specifically do you dislike about the Seagate?
Whatever it is he'll have to adjust in a few months when Samsung is no more and the Samsung drives get a Seagate label slapped on them and/or those drives stop being made.

Western Digital: ~28% + Hitachi: ~11% = ~39%

Seagate: ~27% + Maxtor: ~3% + Samsung ~11% = ~41%

Toshiba: ~5% + Fujitsu: ~1% = ~6%

The remaining percentages are all SSDs so you could scale that back up if you want HD marketshare instead of drive marketshare.

By the end of 2011 you can say there are two big hard drive manufacturers and one smaller player that could easily drop out or sell to one of the big two.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

multiplexer wrote:What specifically do you dislike about the seagate?
SPCR review states WD and Samsung are more quiet

i have a 7200.7 and a spinpoint 250c nidec and samsung is much quieter

multiplexer

Post by multiplexer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:59 pm

But this specific overhaul of Seagate drives hasn't been properly reviewed yet, so objectively there's really nothing to say. Seagate isn't necessarily, by the color of their skin, bound to making noisy hard drives. A prime example are their hybrid 2.5" drives that are much quieter yet faster than all the competition. So I'd really wait for the reviews before buying into any brand of sexy 2-platter 2TB drives.

And who knows, maybe WD or someone else will start making 1.5TB 2.5" drives that are even quieter. I'd personally like those more than 3.5", just so I can fit them in the smallest of cases.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

multiplexer wrote:But this specific overhaul of Seagate drives hasn't been properly reviewed yet, so objectively there's really nothing to say. Seagate isn't necessarily, by the color of their skin, bound to making noisy hard drives. A prime example are their hybrid 2.5" drives that are much quieter yet faster than all the competition. So I'd really wait for the reviews before buying into any brand of sexy 2-platter 2TB drives.

And who knows, maybe WD or someone else will start making 1.5TB 2.5" drives that are even quieter. I'd personally like those more than 3.5", just so I can fit them in the smallest of cases.
how many decibels are 2.5" drives? seagate had removed aam due to a patent dispute.

since xp limit for bootable is 2tb, i wouldn't mind buying a silent 2.5" drive

multiplexer

Post by multiplexer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:16 pm

As pointed out in various other parts of the forum decibels alone don't tell you much. Eh, that's me saying I really don't know ;)

Just removing AAM isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. Because of the much smaller R/W arm mass having to be moved around a 2.5" drive is by itself pretty quiet during seeks, and most recent-generation 750GB and 1TB offerings have very low noise bearings as well, making the whole package competetive with or even quieter than e.g. F4EG and WD20EARS.