Silent DVD burners

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

loninappleton

Silent DVD burners

Post by loninappleton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 am

What is the latest on silent DVD burners?

Search SPCR is difficult for me for the adverts.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Silent DVD burners

Post by smilingcrow » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 pm

I recently bought a Pioneer Blu-ray writer and it's a lot quieter than my previous LG DVD writer so I'd keep an eye on Pioneer.

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Well, I'd refer staying out of Bluray but it may be unavoidable. For now, I just want to dump the Lite-On that makes an incredible racket. There was mention of that in comments when I got it. Comments at After Dawn IIRC in their Tayo Yuden media thread. I've had it for some time and it has not mellowed with age.

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm

This is a new brand I hadn't heard of. And silence is reported as one of its main features.

Any possibility that SPCR would review?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo

I've put this one on "watch" for a price break and free shipping.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:50 pm

If you're going to spend more than $30 on a DVD burner, I would suggest the Plextor PX-L890SA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827249066 partly because of the support available in terms of firmware updates and the free utility software on offer. The Plextors I have used seem to be to be fairly quiet DVD burners.

ace_uk

Post by ace_uk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:56 pm

I've heard of quiet DVD/BD writers, but not silent. How is that even possible if the drive spins the disc at upto 10,000rpm? :?

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

ace_uk wrote:I've heard of quiet DVD/BD writers, but not silent. How is that even possible if the drive spins the disc at upto 10,000rpm? :?

:-) This the Silent PC Forum but quiet will do.

I have low rumbling ones and high whiney ones. I had one that overheated to the point of blistering media so I go rid of it. Funnyt thing is I can't remember any noise problems with it.

videohelp.com has a section on burners. 40x ones and 24x ones seemed to number the most. Possibly less noise with slower operating ones and hopefully less heat from the laser.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 am

Perhaps there is a market for a drive that creates a vacuum around the disc before it ramps up the speed. ;)

Take any half decent looking unit and keep the speed low'ish whenever noise is important. Consumer drives that are fast and quiet just aren't made. An external drive could more easily be muffled if put in or under a box.

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 am

mkk wrote:Perhaps there is a market for a drive that creates a vacuum around the disc before it ramps up the speed. ;)

Take any half decent looking unit and keep the speed low'ish whenever noise is important. Consumer drives that are fast and quiet just aren't made. An external drive could more easily be muffled if put in or under a box.
I'd throttle speed if I knew how. Some progs give a selection of speeds during burning but I would need something at the drive that can control read speed to write to the HD.

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

I think there are some programs for that listed in previous thread, but I haven't used one for ages. One calleed "CD Bremse" comes to mind, but the interface might default to german if it hasn't been updated.

One additional "advantage" of an external option is that they don't tend to have very high max rotational speeds. ;)

benius

Post by benius » Wed May 02, 2012 11:48 am

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm

benius wrote:Nero DriveSpeed
A good suggestion. I forgot about that and it's on here already. I opened and closed it a few times and it seemed like it wanted to reset all the time.

I knocked it down from 48x to 16x and had to put in the numeric value manually rather than pick a menu item. Soon I will try it out and see if my core temp stays a bit more stable and the cpu is not running at 99%.

It will have to hold speed when another program loads-- in my case an MKV maker.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 am

loninappleton wrote:
it seemed like it wanted to reset all the time.
I don't know if this applies to you, but this statement was made in the blurb on the Softpedia link:
DriveSpeed Review on Softpedia wrote:Windows 7 users must run it with administrator privileges to be able to save the changes.

loninappleton

Post by loninappleton » Sat May 05, 2012 5:30 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
loninappleton wrote:
it seemed like it wanted to reset all the time.
I don't know if this applies to you, but this statement was made in the blurb on the Softpedia link:
DriveSpeed Review on Softpedia wrote:Windows 7 users must run it with administrator privileges to be able to save the changes.
It worked fine. I could see the actual read speed from the stats showing in MakeMKV. Previously I had not heard about a lot of overheating problems on dvd burning operations. Perhaps newer cpu speeds have something to do with it. Or the DVD burner/player has to do more operations on newer disks. Laser heat was so noticeable on a previous unit I simply got rid of it at the Best Buy recycle depot in the store.

CPU overheating remains in certain programs. I'm still trying to get advice on how to get core temp from going over the board limit.

silent_rookie

Post by silent_rookie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am

Hi All,

Sorry for the necro bump, but I figured it'd be cleaner. ;)

Just finished building my Quiet PC (thanks to Mike and SPCR! :)), and the one egregious item is my generic (cheap) LG DVD Burner. It sounds SO loud, especially compared to the Quiet PC I built.

* Does anyone have any recommendations for a Quiet (relatively) DVD Drive / Burner?

Thanks!

silent_rookie

Post by silent_rookie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi All,

I figured I'd provide a little feedback from 2 DVD Burners I tried the last 2 days. As an FYI, I've owned Pioneer, Plextor, LG and 2 other generic ones before in the past. Pioneer and Plextor seem to be only making Blu-Ray Drives these days (a bit too pricey for me).

I started with the standard LG DVD Burner (GH24N) 24x. It was *insanely* LOUD. :(

After the super quiet PC I just put together (thanks to Silent PC and Mike and everyone! :)), this DVD Burner was a sore thumb. Even just ejecting the Drive made a nasty "scratching" sound. Reading a DVD would take seconds to spin up and then it sounded like the usual "jet engine" comment that most people say.

I dug around some more today and settled on the ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA DVD Writer. While it's certainly not "silent," it is easily an order of magnitude Quieter than the LG. The only major sound is ejecting the drive door, but then reading and copying over have been surprisingly Quiet(!). :)

Then again, maybe my Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl Case helps with dampening the sound (front door has sound dampening), but it's definitely quieter than the last 4 DVD Drives I've tried (2 older LG models, a Pioneer older one, and then this new LG one).

Thanks!

val43

Post by val43 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi! I'm looking for a silent drive, but it's proving difficult, since recent reviews are lacking!

I've been using a Pioneer DVR-111d for years, and I'm quite fond of it:
- no noise at start up
- smooth (not jercky) tray
- never burned a bad cd or dvd. never.
- quiet enough!

sadly I can't install it on my new rig, since IDE connection is missing.
so I got a cheap LG, forgetting to check about the noise, how most people do.

wrong choice! I confirm what silent_rookie said here above: *insanely* LOUD
it clicks like a floppy, it shouts like a jet engine, and I wouldn't trust it to burn a single disk.

soo... it's 2013 and has been about 5 years since I last bought a dvd drive.
what do you guys vouch for?

is pioneer still good?
maybe asus?

I'm also willing to try a slim drive, if those are quieter!
I don't care about blue ray.
the cheapest the better!

any suggestion?
thank you!!

silent_rookie

Post by silent_rookie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:40 am

Hi val43,

/comfort. I feel your pain. :|

Like you, I had great experiences with my Pioneer back in the day. After doing more research, I found that many of the recommended DVD Makers for their "quiet drives" are no longer making them! :( Pioneer, Plextor are now doing Blu-Ray Burners now (much more expensive), so I didn't look at those options (but they do play DVDs).

Ultimately, I found it was sadly LG (horrible, horrible noise pollution, super loud, ruined my Quiet PC build), or ASUS (they have 2 models which are nearly identical, from what many were saying (even ASUS themselves when I called them direct)).

So I went with the ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA DVD Writer.

After a month of usage, here are my updated thoughts:

* The ASUS makes a slightly clackety sound when ejecting (but *much quieter* than the current LG DVD Drives (which sound grating and about 2 times louder, easily)).

* For DVD Movie and DVD File Playback, the ASUS is *really quiet*! :D It's like night and day compared to the latest LG Drives.

* For Game Installs (where it's reading your DVD at high speeds and installing games), it's the standard "PC DVD Drive Loud" (spinning at high speeds). But even here, I felt it was a touch quieter than the LG, but definitely loud.

Since you're not likely to be constantly Installing Games / Programs via DVD all day, it was annoying, but livable (install over, you no longer need to worry).

Since I use the DVD Drive mainly for checking backed up Files, or watching Movies, that part is pretty quiet and I'm happy with it (and there's nothing else I found on the market (at least via major retailers)).

Thanks.

piccobello

Post by piccobello » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi all, has anybody an experience with the newer Asus DRW - 24D5MT? I found very disparate reviews, seems it's either very noisy or very quiet.. :?: