Harddrive screw broke off :(

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AckeDman

Harddrive screw broke off :(

Post by AckeDman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:49 am

I was mounting my WD caviar green 2TB on my TJ08-E and the skrew broke of so part of it is lodged in the drive. Anyone have a solution to this?

Drive is still working but vibration is a killer now that it is unbalanced in the mounting. Also now many of the rugged suspension options are of the table like the tichté killer, noisemagic novibe, etc.

I guess i could still try a DYI foam enclosure with elastic to tie the drive down on the case floor.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Harddrive screw broke off :(

Post by andyb » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm

The only thing that you can do is to drill out the screw which is risky for your own safety as well as for the HDD.

Suspension is the best route, but in the TJ08-E the drive would have to be suspended at an odd angle or in a spare 5.25" drive bay. Good luck.

Andy

washu

Post by washu » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

You could try looking around and see if you can find a screw extractor that would work. The difficulty would be finding one small enough.

yefi

Post by yefi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm

andyb wrote:The only thing that you can do is to drill out the screw which is risky for your own safety
I think the health and safety officer at wherever you work totally has you asswhiped :wink:

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 pm

If your just worried about the vibration wedge something down the side that doesn't have the screw.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 am

There are alternate threaded holes on the underside, right? So you can try to mount it using those, or just use 3 holes?

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:03 am

andyb wrote:The only thing that you can do is to drill out the screw which is risky for your own safety as well as for the HDD.

Suspension is the best route, but in the TJ08-E the drive would have to be suspended at an odd angle or in a spare 5.25" drive bay. Good luck.

Andy
Yes i have decided i wont risk the drive and since i want to get rid of vibration anyways im going to try suspension in the spare 5,25" bay but i think i need to get a hold of a mesh 5,25" cover so the drives dont overheat.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:03 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:There are alternate threaded holes on the underside, right? So you can try to mount it using those, or just use 3 holes?
Yes this is an alternative but i am hoping the suspension works well instead.