noobie needs help

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:05 am

so, i have this case:

http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=273&L=1

and my hdd is vibrating quite a lot, to the point i can feel the vibrations in my desk and hands, even after i put some foam under the case. i am looking for a way to reduce the vibrations to a minimum, but i am not sure what are my options:

1) i can't (at least i think i can't) remove my hdd cage, so elastic suspension is out?

2) rubber grommets maybe wouldn't help all that much, and i am not sure if they can even fit in this case

3) i would like to try the soft foam under hdd method, but there are small "bulges" on the inside of the cage (that help keep the hdd in place) that stop me from doing so

am i correct in assuming these three methods are not possible with my case? and is there any other way that doesn't include spending more money on my pc?

i know this is my first post, but i really don't know who else to ask :oops:

Silencer56
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:21 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Silencer56 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 am

Calavera wrote:so, i have this case:

http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=273&L=1

and my hdd is vibrating quite a lot, to the point i can feel the vibrations in my desk and hands, even after i put some foam under the case. i am looking for a way to reduce the vibrations to a minimum, but i am not sure what are my options:

1) i can't (at least i think i can't) remove my hdd cage, so elastic suspension is out?

2) rubber grommets maybe wouldn't help all that much, and i am not sure if they can even fit in this case

3) i would like to try the soft foam under hdd method, but there are small "bulges" on the inside of the cage (that help keep the hdd in place) that stop me from doing so

am i correct in assuming these three methods are not possible with my case? and is there any other way that doesn't include spending more money on my pc?

i know this is my first post, but i really don't know who else to ask :oops:
That is a horrible case indeed (pun intended). Well, if you can feel the vibrations there is seriously something wrong. You should uncouple the HDD, but I guess the HDD cages themselves are also riveted to the case, a very light one as well with cheap thin sides. What HDD do you use?

Apart from uncoupling, there is only upgrading to a better HDD like the WD Caviar Green OR a new case with proper HDD cages.

Code: Select all

void minusOne (int num) {
    num = num - 1.0;
    return num;
}

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 am

Calavera wrote:1) i can't (at least i think i can't) remove my hdd cage, so elastic suspension is out?
Don't use the HDD cage. Suspend the HDDs with elastic cord in the 5.25" bays.

Check this sticky for inspiration
- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19147
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: noobie needs help

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:41 am

or suspend hdd's on their edge in the 3.5 bays.
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:26 am

Silencer56 wrote:
That is a horrible case indeed (pun intended). Well, if you can feel the vibrations there is seriously something wrong. You should uncouple the HDD, but I guess the HDD cages themselves are also riveted to the case, a very light one as well with cheap thin sides. What HDD do you use?

Apart from uncoupling, there is only upgrading to a better HDD like the WD Caviar Green OR a new case with proper HDD cages.
not a very good one either:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch- ... B00B6A8VFY

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:30 am

Vicotnik wrote: Check this sticky for inspiration
- viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19147
i am not quite sure about the terminology, i thought the hdd cage itself is a 5.25 bay? can someone explain, in layman's terms, where the 3.5 and 5.25 bays are?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:03 am

It's (kind of) the width of the bay, either three and a half or five and a quarter inches.

To make it easy to put together a computer the measurements for stuff is standardized. A desktop HDD is 3.5" wide and fits in the 3.5" bay of the case. A DVD reader is 5.25" wide and fits in the 5.25" bay of the case.

Notebook HDDs are usually 2.5" etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_bay
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: noobie needs help

Post by xan_user » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:04 am

actually bay sizes refer to the size of the original platter or disc size inside the housing, so...

5.25 are 5.75" wide
3.5 bay is 4"
2.5 is 2.75"

if you dont plan on moving the case, or maybe just as a test... put the drive on some foam strips on the bottom of the case. use strips so air can still circulate underneath the drive.
Help SPCR keep the lights on, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

Silencer56
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:21 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Silencer56 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:45 am

Calavera wrote:
Silencer56 wrote:
That is a horrible case indeed (pun intended). Well, if you can feel the vibrations there is seriously something wrong. You should uncouple the HDD, but I guess the HDD cages themselves are also riveted to the case, a very light one as well with cheap thin sides. What HDD do you use?

Apart from uncoupling, there is only upgrading to a better HDD like the WD Caviar Green OR a new case with proper HDD cages.
not a very good one either:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-3-5-Inch- ... B00B6A8VFY

Okay you should try to upgrade in the near future. You live in the US? A new Western Digital Caviar Green is available starting at 50$, and you can buy a used one without any problems!
Also you can get a used Fractal Define R4 or earlier (R3) case for less than 50$.

Both will greatly improve HDD noise issues, also they have a high build quality and will virtually last forever.

Code: Select all

void minusOne (int num) {
    num = num - 1.0;
    return num;
}

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:48 am

xan_user wrote: if you dont plan on moving the case, or maybe just as a test... put the drive on some foam strips on the bottom of the case. use strips so air can still circulate underneath the drive.
i don't plan on that, and this option appeals to me more than actual suspension, but as i said, there are some small thin bulges on the inside of the hdd cage, about 1-2 mm wide, that stop me from moving the hdd all the way down. i am not sure what's the correct term for them. even if i took the screws out, the drive would still rest atop those bulges. maybe i could straighten them out with a hammer or something, or just try to take the screws out and see what happens?

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 am

Silencer56 wrote:
Okay you should try to upgrade in the near future. You live in the US? A new Western Digital Caviar Green is available starting at 50$, and you can buy a used one without any problems!
Also you can get a used Fractal Define R4 or earlier (R3) case for less than 50$.

Both will greatly improve HDD noise issues, also they have a high build quality and will virtually last forever.
eastern europe, actually, i am guessing pc parts are probably a lot more expensive here. that aside, i bought this pc (hdd included) a couple months ago, and i don't think my budget could support splurging out for a new hdd, that's why i am looking for alternative solutions...

Pappnaas
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 am

Sharkoon REX8 Economy is a different case, which sports 5,25" on the whole front. You could suspend your HDDs in this one.

http://geizhals.de/sharkoon-rex8-econom ... at&hloc=de

This isn't the best case and it sure has some shortcomings, but it seems to be had for a low price, at least in germany.

Lucky Luciano
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:23 am
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Lucky Luciano » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:44 am

Buying a new case is a complete waste of money if all you want is the HDD noise going away.
You should consider putting your HDD in that upper cage, above the horizontal fan mount. If you have some sanitary silicone at home you could improvise pads(5 mm thick should do it) that you can seat your HDD on. It's a great material for dampening vibration and seek noise.
case CM Silencio 550 + Antec True Quiet 14 + Scythe SY1225SL12L | psu Super Flower Golden Green SF-550P14XE(GX) + Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fan swap
mobo ASRock Z97M Pro4 | cpu Core-i7 4790 | cooler Scythe Kotetsu | ram 2x8 + 2x16 Kingston HyperX
ssd Samsung 860 Evo 1TB| hdd Seagate NAS 2TB| hdd WD Blue 2TB| hdd WD Red 2TB
gpu MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER GAMING X

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:51 am

Lucky Luciano wrote:Buying a new case is a complete waste of money if all you want is the HDD noise going away.
You should consider putting your HDD in that upper cage, above the horizontal fan mount. If you have some sanitary silicone at home you could improvise pads(5 mm thick should do it) that you can seat your HDD on. It's a great material for dampening vibration and seek noise.
it's not really the noise that's the problem (my hearing is not the best), but the vibration. it's mostly nonexistant during the day, but i can definitely feel it during the night, maybe it's temperature dependent.

anyway, i can't really put it in the upper cage without some serious cable management, and that's well beyond my area of computer expertise :( i'd prefer to move it to the bottom of the lower cage, but i need a way to deal with these "bulges".

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:03 am

The PSU is up there so what do you need? Longer SATA-cables? :) Vibration/sound is all the same here; the vibrations causes the sound. Suspending the drives gets rid of the vibration.

Forget about the HDD cage. Unless you suspend the HDDs on their edge like xan_user suggest, there's not enough room there for a suspended drive.

It might help if you tell us more about your system. The obvious solutions are suspension in the 5.25" bay or perhaps foam bricks on the bottom of the case. But if you have a couple of ODDs and a bunch of expansion cards that might be difficult.
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:42 am

Vicotnik wrote:The PSU is up there so what do you need? Longer SATA-cables? :) Vibration/sound is all the same here; the vibrations causes the sound. Suspending the drives gets rid of the vibration.

Forget about the HDD cage. Unless you suspend the HDDs on their edge like xan_user suggest, there's not enough room there for a suspended drive.

It might help if you tell us more about your system. The obvious solutions are suspension in the 5.25" bay or perhaps foam bricks on the bottom of the case. But if you have a couple of ODDs and a bunch of expansion cards that might be difficult.
i am aware of the vibration/sound connection, just saying only the former is really a problem for me :) well, here is how it looks:

Image

this was a couple months ago, i've since bought a hyper tx3 and moved the hdd to the middle slot of the cage (that helped reduce the noise/vibrations somewhat). i feel like there's too many cables around for me to move it the hdd all the way up there, right?

a completely unrelated question, but maybe someone here knows: if my pc beeps twice on startup and i have an ami bios, this site:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

says that's either normal or a parity circuit failure. what's the difference between that normal double beep and a "problematic" one? the system itself works perfectly fine, i am not really noticing anything out of the ordinary.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1817
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:20 am

You have lots of space for all kind of solutions. To many cables around? :roll: If you can change the CPU cooler, then you should be qualified for some cable management work. :)

You could use foam to isolate the vibrations and place the HDD under the graphics card. A foam brick could be used or something a bit more fancy like this perhaps.

Image

An excellent commercial solution is the NoVibes. You place the 3.5" HDD in between the rubber cords and mount the thing in a 5.25" bay.

Image

You can do the same thing with only elastic cord.

Image

Or if you want to leave the HDD where it is, just turn it on it's side.

Image
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 535 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR3 | TJ08-E | RM750X
Server: ASRock N3150-ITX | ~30TB | G-360 | Idle ~25W

Calavera
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:42 am

Re: noobie needs help

Post by Calavera » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:01 am

intriguing! say i used the foam brick, how would i keep the hdd in place? i know it's a noobish question, but does the hdd move when it's working?

Post Reply