Bike tires

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fetaost

Bike tires

Post by fetaost » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:15 am

I don't know if anyone has suggested this before on the forums but I'd like to recommend bike tires (cut into appropriate pieces) when suspensing hdd's, fans and so on. I've used it for a long time with my computer that's usually on 24/7 and it still seems fine.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:34 am

soft rubber :D
tho some may smell :(

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:56 am

Not trying to get banned here or be vulgar, but I heard of a guy using new condoms and balloons to suspend stuff, never have heard what the long term effects were though, smell, or breakdown fr pc heat. :?:

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:09 am

frosty wrote:Not trying to get banned here or be vulgar, but I heard of a guy using new condoms and balloons to suspend stuff, never have heard what the long term effects were though, smell, or breakdown fr pc heat. :?:
Bad idea. Latex breaks down quickly in heat. Research demonstrates that condom failure rates due to breakage greatly increase when they are stored in any heated environment (ie. back pocket...which will be the temp of body heat). Makes you wonder about the temps that they reach while traveling across the country in metal, uninsulated semi-trailers, and what that does to their reliability.

BTW, no need for this thread to degenerate into non-PC related remarks, jokes, etc. :roll: 8)

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:43 am

Thnaks Aphonos for the input, and no phun inteneded here, yes let's keep the string clean and clear eh?

I am also toying with the idea of using trhottle springs from parts store and suspend my hd from them and at the contact point with the hard drive use foam or some black rubber. The idea behing the springs is that they are flexible and can take up less space than my current bungie strap material.