Seagate Cuda IV or Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 9 (120GB)

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JPS

Seagate Cuda IV or Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 9 (120GB)

Post by JPS » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:08 pm

I need some more space (gee, imagine that) and I am torn between getting another Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 9 or a Seagate Baracuda IV. I am trying to make my system more quiet and I am curious which of these two drives you all find the quietest and most reliable. I will not be putting in any sound enclosures or suspension setups, just staright mouting to the HDD cage.

TIA for your input...

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:28 pm

what about the samsung spinpoint?

recommended list

I'm not trying to kill the topic, just curious why you haven't considered the spinpoint.

Is this the HDD you are thinking of?

grasshopper

Get the Seagate

Post by grasshopper » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:55 pm

I would recommend the Seagate Barracuda IV. From all the reviews that I have read, the Barracuda is quieter by far. I upgraded from a Fujitsu harddrive to the Barracuda and I can hardly hear my harddrive now! The only way I know that the harddrive is working is by the blinking light! Even reads and writes are inaudible over my fans (but I must say my fans aren't super quite). My harddrive, is hard mounted to the harddrive cage and I used some cutouts from some craft foam and placed that between the screws and the drive cage. Then the entire harddrive/floppy disk cage has the same craft foam between it and the case. Quick, easy and the craft foam is thin and is quite good at dampening sound. I've had no problems with the Seagate and although it is a slower drive than most, it has a very consistant speed over its entire storage ie. it does not slow down as much when it is full.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:37 pm

Is there a SATA Samsung? I can't find one. I'm all excited about SATA because of the cabling - once I actually hooked up that thin wire, I don't think I can ever face another parallel again.

If not, what's the recommendation for a quiet SATA? I just installed the 'cuda 7200.7 160 gig and it's noisy, and HOT. I'm turning it in.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:02 am

Steerpike wrote:Is there a SATA Samsung? I can't find one. I'm all excited about SATA because of the cabling - once I actually hooked up that thin wire, I don't think I can ever face another parallel again.

If not, what's the recommendation for a quiet SATA? I just installed the 'cuda 7200.7 160 gig and it's noisy, and HOT. I'm turning it in.
Yes there are SATA versions of the Spinpoint SP80 series. Their model numbers are SP0812C, SP1213C and SP1614C for the 80GB, 120GB and 160GB versions. Newegg carries the 120GB and 160GB versions and I've seen the 80GB versions around but I don't remember where.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:48 am

Ralf, what's the verdict on 80 vs 160 spinpoints? have you been able to compare them?

I want to say you compared them and the 80 was either louder or equally loud. :?

gksam

Post by gksam » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:45 am

For quietness, I would definately go with a Cuda IV over a Maxtor Diamondplus 9. The Diamondplus 9 has this low humming noise -- it is pretty pronounced (I am comparing a Cuda IV 80gig vs. Diamondplus 9 80gig). I have 2 computers beside my couch. One has a Cuda IV.. one has a Diamondplus 9. Sitting on the couch, the D+9 was a little irritating for me, so I swapped it for a Cuda IV from another computer, and it is less bad now :)

I have also heard a Seagate7200.7, and I found that it was similar to the DiamondPLus9.

However, in your case, it may be worth looking into the spinpoints.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:20 pm

Trip wrote:Ralf, what's the verdict on 80 vs 160 spinpoints? have you been able to compare them?

I want to say you compared them and the 80 was either louder or equally loud. :?
I'd love to say that I compared them but since the PATA 80GB Spinpoint apparently doesn't exist I can't. :)

I'm thoroughly pleased with my 160GB version though. Mounted on sorbothane it's seeks are even quieter than any of my Barracuda IV's and it's idle noise is not only quieter but lower-pitched as well. These drives get "three thumbs up" from me.

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:03 am

Well, I just ordered the samsung 160 gig SATA from Newegg - let's see how it goes!

Don't like Newegg's site at all - the actual checkout process was pretty messy (some fields marked as mandatory, some as optional, some ambiguous - failure to fill out one 'non-mandatory' field simply stalled the page - wouldn't submit, but no error - finally went back and filled in the field and all was fine...) but anyway, got through it eventually and the next step is to receive the goods!

Thanks for the recommendation!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:40 am

Really? I found newegg to be my favorite online retailer. They carry almost everything and their prices are the cheapest anywhere. If they would just get L1As! I do dislike the new newegg setup though.