Elastic drive suspension in a Sonata case

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Inexplicable

Elastic drive suspension in a Sonata case

Post by Inexplicable » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:21 pm

I've just spent a relatively painless 15 minutes suspending my two Maxtor DM+9 drives underneath the removable 3.5" drive trays in the Sonata case.

Unfortunately I don't own a digital camera so I can't show you what I did, but I'm borrowing a picture from Mr Smartepants and you'll just have to let your imagination do the rest:

Here's the deal:
1) Pick up a removable drive sled and flip it upside down. Note that it can be slotted into the case either side up.
2) Pull a length of elastic cord through the holes with the rubber grommets, leaving two loops hanging underneath the inverted drive sled. The grommets will prevent abrasion. Make the knot on the topside.
3) Attach the screws that normally go through the rubber grommets directly to the underside of the harddrive.
4) Suspend the hardrive (topside up) under the inverted drive sled. Loop the elastic cord around each screw on the underside of the hardrive for secure mounting.
5) Depending on the length and elasticity of the cord you might want to put a few small foam pads around the drive to cushion impacts againts the sides and the drive sled. Note that the drive will be a little off balance and will have a tendency to topple. The rubber grommets will help prevent slippage but it's probably a good idea not to make the cord too long.

That's it. It's probably not quite as effective as suspending the drives in one of the 5" bays but it made a huge difference for me compared to the standard grommet mounting. And the best part is that the drives are just as easy to remove as before!

EDIT: Updated the instructions a bit.
Last edited by Inexplicable on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:45 pm

Could you describe step #4 again, please? :)

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:05 pm

chylld wrote:Could you describe step #4 again, please? :)
Err, I'll try. I'll probably make it worse. :D

4) Suspend the hard drive under the inverted tray. The four screws on the underside of the harddrive should be left between the loops of string. This will prevent the loops for hitching too close to each other, which might cause the drive to topple.

Better?

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:13 pm

Hmm it didn't make it any better :)

Say the screws are like (looking down onto the drive/sled):

A B

C D

Is it like, thread string through hole A, around screw A, to screw B, to hole B, etc. ? Could you describe it using this notation please?

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:14 pm

OOH I get it now. The drive isn't inverted. Sorry :) When I read that the drive sled was inverted then my brain inverted the HDD as well.

I see now :)

It's an interesting idea, I'll try it out ASAP.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:21 pm

Phew! :lol: Let me know how it goes.

Actually, something you said made me realize that I should just loop the string around each screw. This should secure the drive much better.

chylld

Post by chylld » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:28 pm

Yeh. I'm thinking that this would be a very viable solution if some foam padding was placed on the inside sides of the drive sled, so that if the hdd rocks to and fro then it doesn't go *clang* against the sides.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:47 pm

Yeah, good idea. The string I'm using is thick enough to cushion impacts against the sides but a couple of small foam pads might be well placed between the sled and the top of the drive.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:17 am

I tried this (and many other deviations of it) when I was trying to silence my humming drive in a 3700BQE drive cage. The BQE cage is physically the same size and design as the Sonata's cage. The problem I found was that there wasn't enough room between the drive and the sides of the drive cage to prevent the elstic cords from rubbing on th drive and the drive cage. This negated a lot of the isolating effect of the elastic cords. This was with 3/16" diameter elastic, the same size that Aphonos used in his suspension article. I found some 1/8" diameter cord that worked better but it was too limp to support the drive well. The drive would stretch out the cord to it's full extension and negate the elastic part of the suspension.

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:27 am

Yeah, it's a pretty tight space. I'm using a 3mm (or 1/8") elastic cord that I scavenged from some old sportswear. :lol: It's fairly stiff and is holding up very well under the weight of the hard drive.

subaru

Post by subaru » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:13 am

I tried this and pics will tell the story:
BTW, didn't notice much difference on a 7200.7 2mb cache 80gb ata. But I'm going to buy a Samsung in april or may and I heard suspending it is a MUST in SPCR.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:57 am

subaru wrote:I tried this and pics will tell the story:
{ }
BTW, didn't notice much difference on a 7200.7 2mb cache 80gb ata. But I'm going to buy a Samsung in april or may and I heard suspending it is a MUST in SPCR.
Yeah, my abortion looked a lot like that except I hung my drive entirely below the drive sled. It looked like shit, moved around a lot, rubbed on the side of the drive cage and was fastened like yours, on a wing and a prayer. That's why I couldn't live with it. :)

subaru

Post by subaru » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:02 am

Any suggestion for a better suspension? :P Since you couldn't live with it, I'm guessing you have something better... MUCH better

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:40 pm

subaru wrote:Any suggestion for a better suspension? :P Since you couldn't live with it, I'm guessing you have something better... MUCH better
Sure, you can do it a couple of different ways:

1) Cut away the drive cage entirely so you can suspend the drives correctly. Check out the pics in Doug Bailey's thread for what your case would look like with the drive cages cut away.

-or-

2) Mount your drive on some dampening material. I used 1/2" x 1/2" x 3" Sorbothane strips in my 3700BQE. It made all the difference in the world:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:31 pm

If you hung the shoe laces with twist ties (and zip ties) from each of the four holes then that's how I did mine. Couldn't some thin sorbothane be used between the drive and the sled, or is there not enough room? That way it would hit the sorbothane when it swung and not the metal...

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Here is my version of the modified Sonata drive tray. Details are posted in the link below. Total cost about $5 for 3 Western Digital drives, which are now inaudible at 3 feet. I would only recommend a high density foam in this application, and the computer can be moved or shipped without any danger of drive damage.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10450

Inexplicable

Post by Inexplicable » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:25 am

Nice one, subaru! Although I have to say my rigging looks a bit better. :) The round black cord I use looks fairly stylish and holds a knot very well.

subaru

Post by subaru » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:56 am

I'm sorry to dissappoint you, but the suspension was according to Ralf so butt ugly and not effective. I had no choice but to tear the suspension apart and to build another one. Pics will again tell the story :P
But you have to take off the front to pull this off in no time. :P 2 elastic was too weak and sonata has four holes anyway, so why not 4 elastic. To stick the HD in it, it requires two people to make it quick. One guy twists the elastic and stuff 2 linialen ( dutch, too lazy to search for translation) then twist the linialen to make room between the elastic and the other guy just stuffs the other HD in it. But if you use 2 elastic, then 1 dude is enough :P. BTW, this one is a bit more quiet than the one before, mostly because this does not need some cushion pads on the sides. The elastic will damp vertically and horizontally unless you don't twist it.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:37 pm

subaru wrote:I'm sorry to dissappoint you, but the suspension was according to Ralf so butt ugly and not effective.

No, no, I said my attempt "...looked like shit, moved around a lot, rubbed on the side of the drive cage and was fastened like yours, on a wing and a prayer." I wasn't dissing yours, I was dissing mine.

subaru

Post by subaru » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:32 pm

LOL, I guess I misunderstood you. Anyway this alternative is more quiet :P and less sloppy on looks

spacey

Post by spacey » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:13 pm

similar to what i just did now, following MikeC's instructions.

http://www.macpham.com/gallery/view_alb ... m47&page=3

Lunch

Post by Lunch » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:52 am

After reading this thread, I feel so stupid. I've suspected that elastic suspension would be the way to ease the acoustically-coupled vibration on my Sonata case, but I hadn't considered the first method shown here (suspended from the tray). I considered the suspension inside the rack (with the trays removed), but I wanted easier access to my drives than that.

I don't know whether it's just my particular case, this particular drive, or if this is a common problem, but the top of the case is acting like a real sound-plate. The Maxtor drive seems fine enough (ie. the vibrations don't create an audibly distracting noise), but the WD has me fit to kill.

In any case, here are the two dumb things I tried earlier tonight that did NOT work:

1. Added some extra foam under the drive and used longer screws to attach. This did not work, as the screws themselves were still transferring too much vibration to the tray, then to the case.

2. Sat the drive on the foam WITHOUT screws. Yup, it worked not bad. Acceptable. But I was worried about the heat getting to the foam. There seems to be a reasonable amount of heat generated by the drive to affect my cheap generic household foam, and I didn't want to take the risk.

3. Took apart an old CD-ROM I had. This would be a housing for an elastic suspension, which would still be able to slide in and out on its plastic rails; a convenience middle-ground. BUT... some of you will have seen this coming... after almost completing the project, I went to do a test-fitting. Would not go into the bay. Scratched my head and looked closely. AHA... the part of the CD-ROM chassis that was to be my makeshift 'tray' is actually the TOP half, negating its potential usefulness.

I'm a part of some music forums, so I know how forumites can be quite helpful. That's when I discovered this forum, some of the FAQs and articles, and this thread in particular, which I'm going to revive from the dead. ;)

Questions:

1. How risky is it to use something like... non-slip rubber kitchen cupboard liner as an insulator, in terms of heat? It's made of rubber... will a hard drive sitting on it generate enough heat to cause damage?

2. Only a few pictures remain on this thread. Since the pictures tell a thousand words, I'm not sure about some of the concepts anymore. Does anyone know where I can see an archive of them?

3. Does anybody know of any other threads (on this or any other forum) discussing elastic suspensions or HDD vibration suppresion with regards SPECIFICALLY to the Sonata or other cases with the same configuration? I'd like to see a few other modified trays and/or drive bays before committing to a play of action.

4. I haven't put in a 'front' (more like internal) fan yet. Considering how mild my overclock is, and that the temperature in my case seems quite cool indeed, would it be a worthwhile addition? A Stealth or SilenX wouldn't add too much extra noise, and I'm thinking that it might provide a bit of extra cooling to counter-act the higher temperatures incurred by a suspended hard drive.

Anyhow, any suggestions or comments are welcome, including pointers to other threads and/or sources of information!

Thanks,
Greg

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:08 am

A Nexus 12cm would be a pretty good addition. I'm about to order one. They're undervoltable and perhaps the quietest 12cm available, though at a cost of low CFM. Since you don't need much CFM, this should be a good choice, though at a price. endpcnoise.com and siliconacoustics.com sell them.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:44 am

I have posted the missing pics from my thread referenced above
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10450
onto Yahoo Photo Albums at this site:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m0002a/al ... 89&.src=ph
You can associate the picture with the “X” (missing pic) by right clicking on the "X" and selecting “properties”.

Lunch

Post by Lunch » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:48 pm

Thanks for posting those pics. After taking my system apart again, I decided to go with the MikeC / Spacey style of suspension, after all.

Using sewing elastic that was kicking around the house (not QUITE as firm as I'd prefer, but it'll do until I do a 2.0 version), I suspended both my drives. The Maxtor wasn't really problematic, but I went for it anyhow.

Verdict: total success. My Sonata chassis has gone from being a "personal home use massager" to the solid hunk of steel (?) it's meant to be.

Even seek noise is reduced a bit, which I wasn't really expecting. I figured seek noise is primarily an acoustic phenomenon (which it is), but there's about a 20% improvement in that area, too. Not huge (due to the nature of seek noise), but slightly noticeable.

Couldn't a done it without this forum!

:D

Now I have to find some other excuse to drop by once in a while. ;)

Greg