HD in elastic cord + results...

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maxxymus

HD in elastic cord + results...

Post by maxxymus » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:58 pm

I have a WD 80gb 8mb... in an Chieftec case... so it was a problem to just grommet it... so I put in an elastic cord in the case, shoved in the HD and frickin' WOW! I was amazed...

Now, I heard over at 7volts.com that this mod isnt very useful... I beg to differ! The noise reduction is excellent! I added a wire from the case to the top of the HD to help discharge static electricity (this is ok right?)

Should I worry about my HD overheating? For some reason, after moving my HD to the top of the case (to a 5.25" bay) then my case temps seem to have risen by 2c... Any ideas why?

darknight

Post by darknight » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:28 pm

i did the same thing as well except that i attached a 3.5" hard drive mount from an old 486 pc before suspension. Works wonders.

im currently running 39C (case temp 18C from MBM) according to Dtemp. After defragging for 5 mins my hdd hits 41C. I think max temp for WD is 55C but lower is always better. You should try Dtemp and report your temps. Assuming you ambient temp is the same your hdd should exhibit higher temperatures since there is no mount to transfer the heat away from the hdd. My hdd mount does get fairly warm.

I was thinking about attaching the thin wire to ground the suspended drive....but isnt the drive already grounded since its connected to the ground leads of the psu??

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:21 pm

IBM used to say the an external ground to the chassis is needed but I never did understand why. The black common (-) wire in the PSU pretty much ties all the components together to the house ground.

zak

Ground wire

Post by zak » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:01 pm

Older drives didn't have the case grounded to the board. Doing so would perhaps cause a ground loop.

Then I had an IBM drive (0662, 1GB) that had little insulators around the screw holes. The case HAD to be insulated from the chassis in this one. I got or from storage last year and started it before selling it off. Oh what a noise... a very loud whine...

I guess these days drives don't care. Some cases use plastic drive rails, Antec uses rubber grommets in teh Sonata - I guess it doesn't matter any more.

Manufacturers do everything to prevent drives from being RMAed...

Thomas