Raptor owners! - Im going to buy one in the next 24 hours

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Raptor owners! - Im going to buy one in the next 24 hours

Post by Storm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:28 pm

I have an IBM 180GXP in a FEK-Pro harddrive enclosure which is able to cool 10,000 rpm drives.

I am going to buy the Raptor 74GB, but I dont want the idle noise to be much higher than my ibm (i dont care much about seek noise).

I can still hear the faint sound of the high pitch noise the ibm emmits even though its got fluid bearings.

Storage review says the raptor comes close to the barracuda's idle noise, I used to own a barcuda IV and theres alot quieter than a 180GXP and alot slower.

Should I go ahead and buy the raptor?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:50 pm

I have the 36GB Raptor in a Antec 3700 clone with AcoustiPack. I haven't had a chance to extensively test it but so far I haven't been able to hear the 36GB Raptor at my desk (about 1.5 meters away from the case). The Raptor is resting on the floor of the case on an AcoustiPack block (I closed up the front fan hole though, replaced it with a hole in the bottom).

Anyway, I think the new 74 GB Raptors are supposed to be even quieter, so based on that, I would say go for it. If you still have issues you could always try your HD enclosure in combination with AcousitPack and the two will definitely do the trick!! :D

P.S. - Is that CPU you're running the Banias (or whatever it's called) with the 1MB L2 cache?

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:04 pm

thx for the reply

nah my cpu is just a standard P4m

I mean its a pentium 4 northwood, but its been hand picked to be able to run at a lower voltage. Intel called these chips P4m.

All P4m's use a 400FSB but I had to break off one of the pins at the bottom of my processor to fool the motherboard to think it was a 800FSB processor. :D

The Banias is the Pentium-M
theinquirer.net wrote:The Pentium M is the Pentium III with Krypton added to make it Superpentium III.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:14 pm

No problem.
BTW, cool idea about the laptop chip. I didn't know the "regular" P4M's were just handpicked Northwoods (but I did know they both had the same architecture). Are the mulitplyers unlocked on the moble chips (I assume they must be or else you would have a 3.2 Ghz chip at 200Mhz FSB). Unlocked by defaut, or further mod required? I guess maybe they use a free multiplier to reduce Mhz for battery conservation. Hmm, sorry, just thinking out loud.

Storm
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Storm » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:50 pm

np

yeah intel test the chips in the middle of the waffer because there better quality, to see if they pass the higher quality checks of laptop processors. Ones that dont pass are now desktop processors.

All laptop chips (P4m's) default to a multiplier of 12 in every desktop motherboard, something to do with speed step or something.

My P4m should run at 1.6Ghz with a 16 multiplier and a 100FSB.

On desktop boards the default will be 1.2Ghz with a 12 multiplier and a 100FSB.

I broke off a pin that controls whither its got a 100FSB, 133FSB, or a 200FSB.

So right now im at 2.4Ghz with a 12 multiplier and a 200FSB. And I can still run the vcore at 1.38v.
When I find a cheap P4m 2.4Ghz, I should be able to do the same pin trick and run the vcore at 1.2v

awshucks101

Re: Raptor owners! - Im going to buy one in the next 24 hour

Post by awshucks101 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:44 pm

Storm wrote: Should I go ahead and buy the raptor?
Yes. I've been wanting one of the 74G's one's myself, and am especially curious as to what the HD temp's would be in an enclosure. I read the 74G Raptors run slightly more hot than most HD's, and am concerned my SmartDrive wouldn't do well with it's 10,000rpm. Keep us posted please.

gourdo_1

Post by gourdo_1 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:21 pm

The 74gig Raptors seek loud, idle very quiet and mine runs cooler than a similarly suspended samsung spinpoint 1614C. I'm very happy with mine suspended by elastics (very quiet in all respects).
Gordo

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:33 am

Anybody knows when the new version of the 36GB Raptors will be available?