Zalman 7000AlCu, Antec BQE, Asus A7N8X-X - will it fit?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RikA

Zalman 7000AlCu, Antec BQE, Asus A7N8X-X - will it fit?

Post by RikA » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:23 am

I've just ordered a new CPU and an Asus A7N8X-X motherboard to go in my Antec SLK3700 BQE.

However, I've sold my old Zalman 6000Cu cooler with the old CPU and motherboard - so I need a new heatsink. I like the look of the new Zalman 7000 series, but I'm not sure if it will fit on the Asus A7N8X-X motherboard in my Antec BQE.

Has anyone tried this combination? The Zalman site says the 7000 will fit on an A7N8X-X, with the proviso: "Power Supply must not interfere with the heatsink". How do I know if that will be the case?!? :)

Any thoughts gratefully received!!

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:27 am

The BQE's have plenty of clearance bewteen the PSU and the CPU Retaining bracket, so you won't have an issue.

lazyfly

Post by lazyfly » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:17 pm

Hi RikA

I have that combo and posted a week or two ago about it...

"Okay but firstly, an anomaly, for whatever reason when I attached the 'flower' to the motherboard - Asus A7N8X-X in a SLK3700-BQE - with the [fan] power lead pointing towards the front of the case the HS lightly touched one of the capacitors in the group lined directly beneath the CPU socket. Flipping the HS around so the lead faced the rear of the case gave a couple of mm clearance. No bias is mentioned in the instructions about this but it was there none the less. It may or may not be worth checking out if you're installing one on said board."

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10375

Hope that helps :)

RikA

Post by RikA » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:45 am

Thanks for the replies - I've now ordered the Zalman 7000A AlCu.

Oddly enough I did search to see if anyone had reported this combination, but didn't find your thread, lazyfly. I hope my tempatures come close to those you report!

lazyfly

Post by lazyfly » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:43 am

Hi RikA.

Forums searches are a quirky beast! Search Title; Search Message; Searh All; Search Forum name here and on and on!

As an update we've just gotten over a spell days that were just shy of 40c with high >80% humidity and playing UT2K3 the load never shot over 47c and today the temp dropped to 27c and the cpu dropped to 38c load.

Have fun pulling out your mb ;)