AMD Warranty FUD

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

AMD Warranty FUD

Post by sthayashi » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:44 am

I noticed that there is some FUD concerning AMD's processor warranty. This is probably due in part to The Inquirer's article. In that article, they link to Xtremetek's article, which dispels some misconpceptions some people have, but not all of them, IMO.

The following is a list of warranty information that people simply don't know about or don't pay attention to:
  • OEM CPUs are not under warranty by the CPU manufacturer
  • If you f*** up, your warranty is void.
  • If you do not use an AMD approved heatsink/fan/PCM, your retail warranty is void
OEM CPUs ARE NOT UNDER WARRANTY BY THE CPU MANUFACTURER
The biggest misconceptions that people have can be summed up in one sentence. This applies to Intel as well as AMD. This also means that if you get CPUs like I do, at the lowest cost from a reputable online store, then THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WARRANTY, not AMD* or Intel. So look up the policies of your favorite stores.
Newegg has a 30-day policy on OEM CPUs, unless you get the extended warranty which ups that to one year (except on refurbished CPUs?).
ZipZoomFly (formerly GoogleGear) also has a 30-day policy.
Monarch Computer has a 60-day policy on Intel OEM CPUs. I suspect it's the same for AMD CPUs, although they do not explicitly mention it.
Note: NewEgg and Monarch Computer above have much longer warranties for just about everything else.

* The only exception is if you buy the OEM CPU directly from AMD. Intel's policy is unclear on this matter.

If you f*** up, your warranty is void
All of the warranties for both OEM and Retail for all the stores have a clause that says your warranty does not cover external or physical damage. So if you crack, chip, or burn up the core on your CPU, your warranty is void. This is pretty simple and clear; and I don't know how many people are confused on this, but these people do exist.

If you do not use an AMD approved heatsink/fan/grease, your retail warranty is void
This is what scares people, and most of them don't realize that their warranty is probably already void via one of the previous two points. Most people heard about the thermal grease from one of the two articles I listed at the beginning. What most people don't realize is that the only thermal grease approved by AMD is only approved for TEMPORARY use (read the XtremeTek article). What's more, most of the heat sinks that are recommended on this site will void your retail warranty.
Check out the list and see if you're using an AMD approved heatsink. I know that I'm not. I didn't see Zalman, Thermalright, or Panaflo on there, and that's what I use.

Intel's policy does not mention the use of unapproved heatsinks or unapproved thermal grease. I will not speculate whether your retail warranty is void if you do use unapproved thermal products

Monarch Computer reserves the right to refuse your warranty if you've used a silver-based thermal paste.

Final Thoughts: Chances are, if you like to build your own system, like I do, your warranty is void. These warranty policies are not written with the consumer in mind, but with the company. AMD, Intel and most retailers don't want to pay for your mistakes or the mistakes of other companies. They will (hopefully) own up to any mistakes they make on their end, but after that, it's out of their hands. With that in mind, I can tell you that I wouldn't make a computer purchase decision based on voiding the warranty. I hope that clears things up for some people.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll edit this post if I see any more serious confusion in this area.

References:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 39,00.html -- AMD's 3 Year Limited Warranty on Processors In Box
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 15,00.html -- AMD's policy on non-boxed processors.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors ... ty/qna.htm -- Intel's Warranty Information Q&A
ftp://download.intel.com/support/proces ... nglish.pdf -- Intel's Retail Warranty Information.
http://www.newegg.com/app/warranty.asp -- NewEgg's Warranty policy
https://secure.newegg.com/app/ExtendedW ... orHelp.asp -- NewEgg's Extended Warranty Policy
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Service/Return.jsp -- ZipZoomFly's return policy
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant ... ry_Code=TC -- Monarch Computer's Terms and Conditions & Limited Warranty.

boardsportsrule

Post by boardsportsrule » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:51 am

thank you...this should settle the debate in the thermal paste thread :D

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:34 am

Thank you for the information, this makes me feel good that I live in a country there there is mandatory 2 year consumer warranty on everything I buy :-)

The downside is that a 30$ psu costs somewhere close to 100$ here :-(

Teffy
Friend of SPCR

Post by Teffy » Mon May 22, 2006 12:26 am

Yikes! It gets more depressing. Per the Newegg site on May 22, 2006:
  • * 7-day replacement or refund guarantee on all CPUs, including Open Box processors.
    * Note: For CPU, base cost will reflect current market price, and 15% restocking fee will apply after this adjustment. This amount will be subtracted from the total refund.
So, even if I don't FU the processor, it costs me at least 15% to replace a defective one...

Teffy

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon May 22, 2006 3:52 am

Teffy wrote:So, even if I don't FU the processor, it costs me at least 15% to replace a defective one...
No. The page you linked to is about the Money Back Guarantee/Refund policy. That means what happens if you send something back that works, but you just don't like.

If a product is defective, then it gets replaced by the same product. See this page.

ST

Post by ST » Mon May 22, 2006 1:50 pm

all nice and good on the details of your FUDs, but (and there always is a but) there are also cases that AMD will go above and beyond to replace a CPU. Case in point: my friend fried his X2 3800 (likely result of his DFI Expert mobo or his OCing). He called up his vendor (Dell) and got received no support whatsoever. He called up AMD, explained the circumstances, sent back his CPU, and was shipped a X2 4200!

When all else fails, just call AMD up directly...as with most manufacturers.

srs

Post by srs » Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 pm

To be fair, I wouldn't blame Dell for not supporting the AMD X2 3800 on his DFI Expert mobo ;)

stratusgd

Post by stratusgd » Mon May 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Also to be fair, AMD's page explicitly states that it isn't a comprehensive list of acceptable cooling solutions, and that even the listed heatsinks shouldn't be used without proper testing.

Teffy
Friend of SPCR

Post by Teffy » Mon May 22, 2006 11:39 pm

Tibors wrote:
Teffy wrote:So, even if I don't FU the processor, it costs me at least 15% to replace a defective one...
No. The page you linked to is about the Money Back Guarantee/Refund policy. That means what happens if you send something back that works, but you just don't like.

If a product is defective, then it gets replaced by the same product. See this page.
That's a relief -thanks Tibors!

Teffy