Zalman 7000Cu and Epox 8RDA3+ - will it fit?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

QueSada

Zalman 7000Cu and Epox 8RDA3+ - will it fit?

Post by QueSada » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:12 am

Hi!

I have a Epox 8rda3+ mobo and I was thinking of getting this Zalman 7000Cu heatsink for my 2500+ Barton. I have Antec Sonata case and I need to know if the Zalman will fit.

What I found out was this:

Compatible if there is no motherboard component higher than 15mm in height (usually capacitors) where the clip is to be located (If interference occurs, the excess portion of the clip that interferes can be cut off to make it compatible.)

Now how will I do this?!? I don't wanna break my motherboard...

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:18 am

The clip is a part of the heatsink.

zalman 7000Cu website with info. about compatible mobos.

Oh yea, I see yours: "Motherboard component interferes with CNPS7000A's clip, preventing proper installation. If the clip is cut off as shown in the picture, the cooler can be installed." :P

I cut a small piece of my clip as well. It requires no skill, a few moments, and isn't dangerous. Just find a good pair of strong scissors and cut where you need to. I used a pair of tin snips.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:41 am

Be careful cutting off the extra length. The distance between the two screwholes is very small. Aim for a cut tangent to the bottom of the first hole. One side is enough. Scissors? No way. The stuff's strong steel. Has to be. Carries 773gr weight. Tin snips will do though. Better to use a Dremel.

Living happily with that board & 7000Cu with a burning Palomino @ 36C, but on a noisy AOpen H600 case.

My question a while ago - which nobody answered yet - is will that combo fit in a sonata? The 7000 is a LARGE cooler and the width extends off the board. Does it touch the PSU?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:12 pm

I doubt it would touch since I noticed more space between my PSU and heatsink in that case. Search around and see if you can find a picture of that area of the case.

QueSada

Post by QueSada » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:16 pm

Originally posted by burcakb
My question a while ago - which nobody answered yet - is will that combo fit in a sonata? The 7000 is a LARGE cooler and the width extends off the board. Does it touch the PSU?
Some dude had the exact same case (Antec Sonata) and ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MOBO and the 7000 fits like a glove. So I'm not worried about the PSU. The unit is big, but not THAT big :)