Good cheap HSF for a Pally these days?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

axle

Good cheap HSF for a Pally these days?

Post by axle » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:37 pm

Any advice? I have an old 1600+ Pally and my brother's damaged Shuttle nf2 board (a few ram slots and the lan doesn't work...but it'll make a mighty fine platform to try Gentoo out on), just not an HSF (...anymore...COUGH!).

Quiet would be cool, but I'm look absolutely not a penny more than $20. If it runs at 74c and catches of fire...eh, you know, big loss.

Something that runs best with little airflow, maybe--I'll have a few 120mm fans cooling the whole banging thing, so I may just remove the HS fan all together.

Tia, all!

|ex

JimK

Post by JimK » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:09 pm

haysdb and some of the other folding farmers seem to like the Speeze FalconRock. Search on Speeze and check this thread.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:58 pm

Yeah, the cu/al Speeze can be had for $9 from newegg, and it is a good choice. You can also get the ThermalTake Silent Boost for right at $20 if you want to step up to the next level (basically a thermalright SLK copycat) and still be frugal. Beyond that it does get pricey.

On either of those you'll need to adjust fan RPMs for quiet. They won't be quiet out of the box..

axle

Post by axle » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:48 am

Looks good to me!! I got two for the price.

Thanks, everyone; I've been dragging my feet on doing this for months and months now (I WC, so I don't have any HSF to speak of--anywhere), and now it's done.

Thanks again,
lex

axle

Post by axle » Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:41 pm

Small update.

Only took Fedex about 70 hours to get the two FalconRocks from Edison NJ to me (were I to throw a modestly-sized rock from my roof, I would likely strike the Newegg warehouse. Oh well)

Anyway, these sinks aren't good--they're great! For the money I paid, even at full RPM it's tolerable. I plugged in the Sunbeam and took it down to probably 4v, and then my chip burst into a flaming fireball of some sort. Hey, it's a Pally.

But even so, in a coldish room of probably 20 or 21c, keeping a 1600+ Pally at 42 isn't bad. And that's with the goop that game on the bottom, have yet to try some AS3.

Anyway, I'm certinally very happy. I bought an SLK-900U with a 92mm Panaflo BX for a total of probably $60 a few months ago, in effort to ditch my passive WCing, and I sold that junk within a day. I couldn't believe how loudly-and badly!- it cooled.

Thanks again for the advice, guys,
lex

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:49 pm

axle wrote:Anyway, I'm certinally very happy. I bought an SLK-900U with a 92mm Panaflo BX for a total of probably $60 a few months ago, in effort to ditch my passive WCing, and I sold that junk within a day. I couldn't believe how loudly-and badly!- it cooled.
:? An SLK-900U w/ 92mm BX cooled loudly and badly? Something went severely wrong there.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:32 pm

Yeah, as much as I like the speeze heatsinks for the price/performance (they are <$10!), the SLK-900 should have CLOBBERED it in performance.

As a point of reference: the all-copper silent boost beat my speeze al/cu microflow by 9-10c in the same case, with similar fan RPMs.

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:41 am

I've got an akasa 821, only cost me 15euro. works really great! (It has pin design like alpha's)

fractal

Re: Good cheap HSF for a Pally these days?

Post by fractal » Mon May 10, 2004 12:10 pm

axle wrote:Any advice? I have an old 1600+ Pally and my brother's damaged Shuttle nf2 board (a few ram slots and the lan doesn't work...but it'll make a mighty fine platform to try Gentoo out on), just not an HSF (...anymore...COUGH!).

Quiet would be cool, but I'm look absolutely not a penny more than $20. If it runs at 74c and catches of fire...eh, you know, big loss.

Something that runs best with little airflow, maybe--I'll have a few 120mm fans cooling the whole banging thing, so I may just remove the HS fan all together.

Tia, all!

|ex
Try the svc cg68 or svc cg69. I use them in all my systems. They work well, they are quiet and they are cheap. The cg68 will run you 5 bucks tax and shipping. I usually keep several on the shelf for when I get tired of the noise out of one of the systems around here.

The cg68 is probably THE best kept secret in the quiet PC community :)