mobile athlon 64 cpu?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kontkommer

mobile athlon 64 cpu?

Post by kontkommer » Thu May 20, 2004 4:42 am

i read somewhere amd is releasing mobile athlon 64 cpu's soon..

aren't these ideal for a silent system because of low heat production?

what's the catch?

Lifecycle

Post by Lifecycle » Thu May 20, 2004 5:15 am

From looking at the AMD product page for the mobile Athlon 64 there's no real data on power consumption.

To me, there don't seem to be any real differences between the mobile version and the desktop version, aside from different packaging? There seems to be some emphasis on using PowerNow! but that's about it.

Also, the comparison between the mobile Athlon 64 verses Intel equivalent is pitched against the Pentium 4-M, not the Pentium-M. Aside from several dubious comparisons anyway, power consumption still isn't mentioned. :(

It seems to me that if AMD had something on-par with the Pentium-M, they'd be gloating about it, but instead it looks more like they are just trying to push their 64-bit option into the mobile domain rather than providing a killer low-power 32-bit laptop chip, like Intel have done with the Pentium-M variants.

All that said, it seems that Hardware Central think you're looking at 35W for a A64 2700+ which isn't bad. It would be nice if this were true but it would be even nicer if AMD could also get down into sub-25W territory. 8)

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Thu May 20, 2004 6:18 am

Lifecycle wrote:All that said, it seems that Hardware Central think you're looking at 35W for a A64 2700+ which isn't bad. It would be nice if this were true but it would be even nicer if AMD could also get down into sub-25W territory. 8)
They have already done that.
Now see what a cheap desktop CPU can do:

It runs Prime95 (torture test) and Folding@Home,
1 GHz,
VCore = 0.85 volts
And CPUtemp = 38°

Who needs a mobile CPU?

uwatec

Post by uwatec » Thu May 20, 2004 8:16 am

Specs for the mobile Athlon 64's can be found here:

Mobil 64 specs