Thermalright XP-120

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
Nebor
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:42 pm

Post by Nebor » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:21 am

nope. 4-pin fans are safer anyway.. who knows why there are more 3 pin fans here...
Huh? Did 3 pin fans kill your father?

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:14 am

Post by Katana Man » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:32 pm

This XP-120 is going to be awesome. I can't wait. My D8000 will now have all 120mm fans! Four of them! I'm really hoping they release the AMD 64 version soon.

mr_pickles
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 am

Re: Preview on Thermalright.com is up

Post by mr_pickles » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:53 am

CRT_Leech wrote:Check out the fan they list as the "stock fan" = Maker: Panaflo (Panasonic)
Model: FBA12G12L1A

Compatability charts and more information will come out when mass production units leave the assembly line.
Does this mean no tach output? Seems odd to me to provide a heatsink fan without RPM monitoring. Are BX versions hard to find (for the 120's, that is)?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:54 pm

Nebor wrote:
nope. 4-pin fans are safer anyway.. who knows why there are more 3 pin fans here...
Huh? Did 3 pin fans kill your father?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: Okay, seriously...realize that molex connectors on your mainboard would take up three to four times as much space (imagine making room for three or four molex connectors on the board, just for fan headers!), not to mention are also more difficult to connect and disconnect, possibly risking the safety of the board's integrity when an errant, incredibly tight combination of male and female connectors should occur. The tiny three-pin hook-up is a great solution to this problem; it takes up far less space, and generally won't get nearly as, "stuck," even in tightest cases.

-Ed

cmcquistion
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Tennessee

Post by cmcquistion » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:37 pm

Overclockers.com did a brief report and a full review on this heatsink a while back, for anyone who's interested.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1036/index03.asp

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:40 am

CactusInvasion wrote:And Ed's two-day later review?
"Eh?!?" :shock:

cmcquistion
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Tennessee

Post by cmcquistion » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:46 am

CactusInvasion wrote:Any update on release of the thing's release date? (And Ed's two-day later review?) I see it listed as Socket64 compatible, but will the release version be so?

So maaaany questions. One greaaat desire for a heatsink besides stock.
If you need a better-than-stock heatsink, now, then I suggest you try the Zalman CNPS7000AlCu. It works wonderfully at low voltage and low noise and it will almost certainly be cheaper than Thermalright's new heatsink (which probably won't come with a fan, so you will have to buy that, separately.)

Based on my experience with the SK-7, SLK-800, and SLK-900, I would venture to guess that you would NOT be able to get this new 120mm version to run as quiet as the Zalman 7000 AlCu.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:48 am

I have multiple Cooler Master sinks that nobody here at SPCR has yet even mentioned, in the pipe for review. Already have a sample of one in my hands and am expecting another one in a week or two; the HSF market is heating up quite dramatically!

Plus, I'm waiting to read another SPCR editor's review of the XP-120 (one of the senior guys gets dibs; all the better, if you ask me); plenty of stuff going on as silently as our own rigs behind the scenes...

Just gotta' be patient. :wink:

-Ed

ONEshot
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:37 pm

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:12 pm

WOOO I cant WAIT for the review. GOGOGOGOGOGOGO!!!

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Post by shathal » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Anyone have any idea when these critters will be available? (revised date sorta thing)?

There's still pretty little searchable on the www.

And yes, I ask before having e-mailed ThermalRight ... just in case anyone already has :). Not that I'm likely to GET info, since I'm not press and this thing isn't really (I suspect) out of NDA or somesuch?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:26 pm

It was supposed to be released a week or two ago, according to a TR email that I can no longer find.

Nowhere_man
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:50 am
Location: USA

Post by Nowhere_man » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:56 am

The real problem is it's constructed from Unobtainium and their unable to obtain enough of it to satisfy production quotas :wink:

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:39 pm

Front page indicates, "Preorder ETA 7/21," and then when you click it, it says In Stock.

Can you say, "Wtf?"

EDIT: Hmm, it lists a whole 63 units on hand. Inventory counts are shweet...

EDIT2: Okay, once I add it to my cart, it lists it in my cart as, "ThermalRight XP-120 - Pre-Order ETA 7/21." So my guess is, they've got an expected allotment of a certain size, and right now, they've got another 63 available for preorder (of their allotment that's scheduled to arrive, whatever amount that's supposed to be, i.e. they have 63 left to presell, already have 17 preorders on file, that's 80 units total).

EDIT3: Well, $49.99 isn't too bad for what may be a Hyper 6-killer!

Cyver
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:54 am

Post by Cyver » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:06 am

Hi guys, great site, been hanging around here for quite some time. Can't wait to buy my next computer, alot of what I learned here will be very usefull to me. What sent me here in the first place was my experience with a thermaltake dragon orb 7000rpm vacuum. The computer was in my bedroom but could be heard anywhere in the house when it was on! Now running a thermaltake silent boost which is much quietter than the orb but still noisy and nowhere near their claimed 21db! Anyways on with the reason for the post.

I noticed that shoprbc.com has the Thermalright XP-120 listed on their main page. Here is the link to the item. BTW this is a great place to buy computer parts. Their 9$ flat shipping is great especially when you buy lots of stuff!

http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_ ... p?pid=7515

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:17 am

Cyver,...

WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

You know I clicked on your link, saw the $69.00 price tag and was like, :shock: :shock: :shock:, but then I realized the site is actually selling in Canadian dollars...

Thanks for the heads-up!

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Post by shathal » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:28 am

*sniffles*

But they're not available in the UK

*cries*

*sends off e-mails to ThermalRight's retailers in the UK...*

Dag nammit.

With my X800XT due in soon, I could do with that bit of extra silence and (more importanly) the lower temps :).

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

For those in the UK - CPUCITY has responded to my e-mails (the only ones so far. Here's that I got from them:
From: <[email protected]>
To: "xxx xxxxx" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Availability ETA on ThermalRight XP-120 ?

Hello

We have those on order and should have some in 1-2 weeks

Regards

Sales

www.cpucity.co.uk
So - not TOO long for a Prescott Pacifier to be available in the UK :).

Now - to preparationally buy a nifty 120 mm Fan. Globe I suspect would be the best here, Edward Ng, as best I recall?

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Blasted off a response to all of ThermalRight's UK retailers - so far, only CPUCITY responded...
From: <[email protected]>
To: "xxx xxxx" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:42:15 +0100

Hello

We have those on order and should have some in 1-2 weeks

Regards

Sales

www.cpucity.co.uk
So - might as well start ordering in a nice, good, 120 mm fan :). Globe come to mind, eh, Edward Ng? :).

kogi
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: sydney.au

Post by kogi » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:28 am

Edward Ng wrote: EDIT3: Well, $49.99 isn't too bad for what may be a Hyper 6-killer!
It is just avail in australia. At $130 (us$91) is a wallet killer as well.

Was very keen on it until I saw the price.

kogi

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:40 am

shathal, as someone in the Panaflo/Globe thread brought up, the closed corners on the Globe 120 will be a problem for the clips Thermalright uses on the XP-120 unless you cut them out with a rotary tool on low speed. An AcoustiFan AF120CT does not have this problem...

Check that thread for info; if you need photos, please let me know and I'll take some pics of the corners of both fans later for comparison, in case you don't quite get what we're saying.

EDIT: Typo; was up 'til 5:00am, and just got up a few minuts ago to call in that I'm not coming in to work today...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:07 am
Location: Houten, The Netherlands, Europe

Post by Tibors » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:15 pm

If the XP-120 fan clips work the same way as the clips for the SLK-xxx it won't be a problem. As can be seen in this .pdf document. One of the fan's in the pictures has closed corners too.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:22 pm

The problem is that the clips on XP-120 appear to work differently than those of the other models. On current models, the clips clear the fan entirely and clip in on the top side. If you look at this link, you can see that the XP-120's clips go into the back side of the near holes on open-corner fans.

If Thermalright is smart, however, production models will utilize clips more similar to the current, smaller coolers.

Guess we need to wait until somebody has a production piece! :?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:35 pm

The clips on the ALX-800 attach to the bottom side of the fan as well. The advantage to that clip system is that you can use fans of differing thicknesses without needed extra clips. That's probably a bigger concern than the very few fans that do not have open corners.

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Post by shathal » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:45 pm

So - *assuming* that Globe is out of the question (would be nice if someone can confirm that, when they have an XP-120) ... what's next?

Accousti Fan 120 I'd guess?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 pm
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Contact:

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:57 pm

Russ makes a very good point; there are more Panaflo users than Globe 120 users, and the Panaflos would be too thick for the standard clips...

But then again, as we've seen on the current units, Thermalright drills an extra pair of holes to take care of the much thicker 92mm Vantec Tornado fans; I get a feeling, however, that the sheer wideness of the XP-120 is prohibitive of clips wide enough to clear the bottom of the fan and go all the way to the top of it (the thicker 120mm Panaflos).

Trading off one for the other; thus is life.

-Ed

EDIT: AF120CT, or, if you're willing to be a guinea pig, but possibly save money in the process, try one of the Globe-made 120mm Enermax fans; the type that come with like, blue or purple plastic frames with clear fan blades in the center and a gold wire grille. I haven't tried them, but do know for a fact that they're made by Globe as well, and several SPCR members have said they're not bad. I mean, if they're cheaper than AF120CT, they're worth a shot.

shathal
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:36 am
Location: Reading, UK

Post by shathal » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:11 pm

Oh, I'm a few weeks off having the XP-120 in the first place.

And once I do I may (or may not - pending on whether I can get it from the same vendor) get 2 fans instead of just the Accousti Fan. Don't want to pay postage twice.

I'm really only after the CFM + low dBA's ;). I am happy paying a few bucks more for it.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:07 am
Location: Houten, The Netherlands, Europe

Post by Tibors » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:25 pm

I know they don't move a lot of air, but the Nexus 120mm fans have had some good comments and no bad comments in the forums. Besides you are going to undervolt the other fans to make them silent, loosing CFM's along with dBA's.

For me the Nexus fan's will have the added benefit that they are also the cheapest silent 120mm fans I can buy at the moment.

Post Reply