CNPS6000 Replacement

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ak

CNPS6000 Replacement

Post by ak » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:44 am

I have a NF7-S motherboard in a Sonata. The NB fan is replaced with the NB47J and the CPU (Barton 2500+) is cooled using a CNPS6000 flower (stock 92mm Zalman fan).

I put these two in a couple of weeks back and I am disappointed with the CNPS6000. My original Aero7 Lite made similar levels of noise when OC'd to 3000+ compared to the CNPS6000 at stock speed.

Now after purchasing the CNPS 6000 I am looking for a cheap replacement as funds do not permit anything too expensive.

Can anyone recommend something? I have shortlisted the Arctic Copper Silent TC as a possible as its with in price. The Tharmalright is a bit expensive and the CNPS7000 doesn't fit the NF7 although it seems some people have managed it.

Help!!!

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:48 am

Things that spring to mind: have you tried replacing the Zalman fan with a quieter one? The Zalman fans are not very highly regarded around here when it comes to quiet operation. Have you modded the Sonata bezel already? What's your case fan configuration & psu? What kind of temperatures are you getting?

And out of curiosity (just built an Sonata/2500/Aero7lite for a friend): what were your temps before the Zalman swap?

ak

Post by ak » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:29 am

Temps were about 50 c when folding (this was configured to use 98% idle time - the 2500+ was about 3000+. Flat is quite warm so reckon ambient air temp to be about 22-25c.

I had the aero 7 lite on at about half speed - wasn't silent but bearable and good trade off for the OC'd barton. Thought about changing the fan as I have a Vantec Stealth handy (80mm) though - do you think replacing a92mm fan with a 80mm fan good enuough? I thought of adding another 80mm fan on the bracket to cool the NB47J as well.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:16 am

An 80mm fan would be able to cool the baton 2500 (I think a panaflo L1A was used in the review way back), but please don't use a stealth - they're worse than the zalman. Try a panaflo, nexus or any of the other recommended fans.

arctic cooling do a few good inexpencive heatsinks that might be worth a look

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:10 am

The CNPS6000 is an ok cooler, but far from great. The bottom is far from perfectly flat and the clip applies too little pressure. Using a good thermal compound and using slightly more than usally recommended should give you better thermal transfer. Don't expect anything drastic, and effect depends mostly on what TIM you use now and how it was applied.

Changing to a better fan is a resonable option. Try to get the fan as close to the heatsink as possible. Since the heatsink is relatively small an 80mm fan should be nearly as effective as a 92mm fan on this heatsink. I would say it is worth a try.
The Vantec fans are known to be all but stealthy, but it could be used for testing. If it works out fine you can buy a less noisy 80mm fan. Problem is that a good fan costs almost as much as the Arctic Copper coolers with a fan.

I can highly recommend that Arctic Copper Silent 2 TC cooler. The first version of the cooler (Arctic Copper Silent TC) is also good, but the seconds version is usually a bit better and usually about the same price.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:16 am

I assume those temps are with the zalman at full speed. 50C under load is still quite on the safe side IMO, especially when OC'd. I wouldn't add a second fan to the bracket: it will hardly improve airflow for the cpu heatsink and the northbridge usually can do without directed airflow. It's a sure way to add noise though. The 6000 and northbridge cooler depend on case airflow, is there enough? Do temperatures drop more that 1-2 degs when you take the side panel of? Did you mod the Sonata?

I'd play around with the fans and airflow a bit before writing the 6000 off, you can always get a new heatsink later if nothing else works for you.

ak

Post by ak » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:11 am

Got a Panaflo 92 L - its very very good.

Since I was replacing the fan and cleaning up the machine, I took the opportunity to lap the heatsink a bit and used some Artic Silver 3.

Temps are about 48-49 at about 1400 RPM (now also oc'd by changing the clock mulitplier to 12 instead of the original 11). I did get some funny faint 'rattling' type noise from the fan though, but when I touched the fan to steady it, it faded away. Now I got the fan at a 45 degree angle with a side butted against the PSU with some blutack between the fan and PSU.