3.0ghz P4 tempature help

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

smashingpunk007

3.0ghz P4 tempature help

Post by smashingpunk007 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:44 pm

Hello peoples, i'm new to the forums and i need a bit of help. I just bought a P4 3.0 ghz Prescott and it came with the standard heatsink/fan that speeds up according to temp. The first thing i noticed when i put it in is that it gets mad loud when the tempature goes up. This is my first Intel chip all my other chips have been AMD and none got as loud as this. My last AMD was a 2200 and i put a Coolermaster Aero 7 heatsink and it ran good and silent. It always stayed below 50 degrees somewhere in the 43 degree area. So having previously bought a Coolermaster product and being satisfied with it. I went out and bought a replacement heatsink for my new P4. I bought the Coolermaster Vortex Dream for $23. (Oh i forgot to say that i am on a budget now because of school.) The thing is that i fogot to run Motherboard Monitor with the original heatsink. So i don't know what to compare the current tempature with. The tempature with the Coolermaster is around the 48-55C area when i am just surfing the net, but when i start multitasking or play a game it shoots up to anywhere between 60-68.This is all with the heatsink fan at low and i hear the case fans over the heatsink fan, mainly the exhaust fan. Now when i play a game i turn up the heatsink fan up to medium and i don't pay attention to the noise because i get into the game. But when i am 3d modeling or doing graphics work the fan sound gets annoying if I turn up the fan speed. Should i return the heatsink and look for something else.I have the intake fan and the exhaust fans running at 5v, i have a case temp monitor in one of my drive bays and it reads the case temp at around 35-38C . Right now the pc is pretty silent, not as silent as my AMD but not as loud and annoying as it was with heatsink/fan it came with. So any ideas on what i should do? I'll post some pics later.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:28 am

My Prescott 2.8 idles about 44C....maxes about 55C. That's with a 26C ambient using an Alpha 8942....80mm fan at about 2500rpm.

Try using more voltage to the case fans, before you do anything else. It's important to keep an accurate record of fan voltages and temps at various configurations.....makes figuring things out easier.

When you're running a prescott, you have to look at temps differently. These chips measure >8C over similarly configured Northwood chips.

Welcome to SPCR..... :)

smashingpunk007

Post by smashingpunk007 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:01 pm

Ok here are some pics of my amd and intel systems. Oh i forgot to state that I haven't bought a new case in several years. I am gonna get one a new one after this semester, but i'll worry about it then. The cases I have right now are cheap aluminum cases and I still managed to get them quiet, the amd system is nearly silent.
Here is the intel

And here is the amd

As soon as I get the money I am gonna out another zalman heatsink/pipe/fan onto the card I have in the Intel system. I have only had the Intel system for about a week and a half. So i haven't cleaned up the wiring, tonight after school I will start messing with the fan voltages to see how much cooler I can get it with out making it noticeably loud.

If the Prescott chips run hotter than the Northwoods does that mean if the Northwood ran at 48C normal than the Prescott would run at 56C normal, or does it mean that you just have to take extra measures to cool the Prescott down to 48C normal?

My last question is about the holes on the sides of the cheap cases. Should I cover them up or do they do anything good?

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:28 pm

I've used the CoolerMaster Aero (or whatever it's called) before. Did you undervolt it? I couldn't stand the humming sound it generated after it warmed up.

Nice systems though. Looks like you need a windowed side panel for your p1mp3d rigzzzzzzzzzzz

smashingpunk007

Post by smashingpunk007 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:44 pm

The Coolermaster Aero literally makes no noise in my system and it's running at regular voltage. When i first put it on low with the case closed i had to reopen it to make sure it was still spinning. You may have gotten a faulty one or it's probably dirty.
I was looking at at heatsinks for the P4 that use heatpipes but they were to expensive for me to get right now.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:38 pm

Hi smashingpunk007

You could try undervolting your cpu to drop its heat output. But you probably need to get a different heatsink in the furture, or at least look into replacing the coolermaster fan with something quieter (have a look in the recommended section for a good selection of both fans and sinks).
Also instead of getting a zalman for your vga card it should be cheaper, and probably more effective, to get an acrtic cooling vga silencer.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:06 pm

IMHO....if you use the same components, same fans, same voltages, same noise level, then swap a Northwood for a Prescott, the cpu temps will be up about 8C. This prescott can run cooler, but will require a better HSF, and/or higher fan speeds with more noise.

Cut the grills by the case fans and replace the rear grill with a wire type. That helps alot....costs little.

smashingpunk007

Post by smashingpunk007 » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:52 pm

Do i also cut where the front case fan goes? And ar eyou talking about the circle grills or whatever they are called.