Safely mounting a really heavy heatsink.....pics.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Safely mounting a really heavy heatsink.....pics.

Post by Bluefront » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:12 am

With all the really heavy tower heatsinks coming out, there is an increased risk of motherboard damage due to twisting/bending. Here's a new method I've come up with to minimize/eliminate the problem.

Basically, this method is designed for heatsink types that mount directly to the board (disgarding the stock heatsink cage). You AMD guys are on your own here.....

I do think this method could be used with the cage types, with slight modification.

First, remove the plastic cage. Then install the board. With a long thin marking device, put four marks on the inner mount panel using the four holes as a template. Remove the motherboard. Drill out the four marks to allow a #4 or #6 bolt (this depends on the size of the mount holes of your heatsink mount bracket).

In order to install this setup, you will have to cut an access hole around the inside of these four holes. This will allow access to the rear of the board once it is installed.

What I am doing here is mounting four metal studs solidly to this back panel.....and it can only be done after the board is installed. The studs go through the motherboard holes. As you insert each stud (motherboard installed) you run two nuts with washers onto the studs Using that access hole you cut.

Each stud is snugged up against the metal panel using one nut....the other nut is just lightly run up against the back of the motherboard. When all four studs are installed, from the front of the motherboard you run another nut and washer down on each stud, tightening the board against the nut/washer behind the board. Use care here to avoid warping the board.

You now have four solidly mounted studs, which no heatsink is likely to bend. You then set the heatsink over the four studs, using nylon loc-nuts to secure the heatsink.

I have no pictures yet.....this mod is only on paper. But it'll work, and will hold the heaviest heatsink without problems. Another Bluefront Patent-pending device. :D

Questions?

Here's what the board will look like with the studs installed.....it's not attached to the case yet..

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:43 pm

Some AOpen Cases actually have threaded holes in the MOBO mounting plate
that you screw brass mountings into , then you screw the heatsink to these .
They would be fine except they only fit pentium 4 and only (unless your very lucky ) AOpen motherboards ( definately NOT my Soltek board as the cpu has the wrong orientation )
The AOpen case in my sig. has these holes.

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:36 pm

er, the bolts go through and are anchored in the motherboard tray or case side right? why crush caps and stuff on the motherboard with huge washers then? :P

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:23 am

The studs will be solidly mounted to the MB tray. The washers/nuts on each side of the board itself just steady the stud-mount assy.....don't really transfer much torque to the motherboard. I don't have a picture of the whole process yet.....and it might be a difficult picture to take. :lol:

Mats

Post by Mats » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:57 am

pony-tail wrote:Some AOpen Cases actually have threaded holes in the MOBO mounting plate
that you screw brass mountings into , then you screw the heatsink to these .
They would be fine except they only fit pentium 4 and only (unless your very lucky ) AOpen motherboards ( definately NOT my Soltek board as the cpu has the wrong orientation )
This reminded me of my AOpen H700B case, it got a lot of holes for different CPUs, not just P4. Even if the motherboard tray is removable, I just don't feel like looking for which holes that exist (I have to remove the CPU heatsink before I can remove the power connector...), unless someone is curious. If you are, just tell me! This case supports bigger mobos like 12" x 13" or something, but I have only seen holes for single CPU mobos (I think).

Anyway, I guess I have to drill some new holes if I want to use this feature. I really doubt that the holes match my Abit KV7 and if I upgrade to A64 the CPU holes doesn't match because it's too old.

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:02 am

Excellent idea there, Bluefront.
Getting out the ole tap and die set to put four more mounting studs on the mobo tray never crossed my mind, but you can bet it will be considered for the next build. :wink:

Straker

Post by Straker » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:31 am

Bluefront wrote:The studs will be solidly mounted to the MB tray. The washers/nuts on each side of the board itself just steady the stud-mount assy.....don't really transfer much torque to the motherboard. I don't have a picture of the whole process yet.....and it might be a difficult picture to take. :lol:
ah that's a pretty good idea then. was just wondering why you still had washers on the motherboard, but i can't tell how far down they are - if i did this i'd probably use some huge washers too, but more to protect the stuff below from errant screwdrivers etc. :P

ecto

Post by ecto » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:47 am

It'd be interesting to see how much more pressure one could apply to the CPU core with this technique, ie if there would be any temperature drop as a bonus.