Is it safe to fanmate my Stock AMD64 Cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

killerfish

Is it safe to fanmate my Stock AMD64 Cooler?

Post by killerfish » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:46 am

Ok, I'm scraping together enough $ to get a high end HSF, but for now, I'm stuck with Stock AMD64 HSF. My idle CPU temps are around 34C and up to 49C at load. Will it be safe to place a fanmate on it to take it down to 5v? It's the loudest part in my machine by far.

Thx
KF

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:49 am

With those temps, it will be "FanMate"-able. A rule of thumb is that the temperatures are OK as long as the computer behaves nicely without unstableness and the like.

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:34 am

Also, remember the A64's have similar thermal protection to the P4's - if it finds itself getting too hot it will underclock itself.

If you suspect its getting too hot and this might be happening, simply load up any diagnostic tool that reports the multiplier and voltage settings and compare them to what they should be for the chip at full speed.

Dhurdahl

Post by Dhurdahl » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:37 am

Well since you can adjust the fanmate... turn it down until you get a load temp thats comfortably high for you...
Me personally wouldn't hesitate to raise it to 55C (at least)...

As long as you are stable you shouldn't worry too much about the temp itself.

:D

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:15 am

Cool thanks everyone! I'll give it a shot tonight.

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:37 am

I'm interested in your experience with this, since it might save me a bit of money when I get my Sempron3100/A64. What RPM range are you observing with the Fan Mate connected, and how are the noise levels and temperatures?

killerfish

Post by killerfish » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:30 am

Well, I'm not sure of RPM as I also have the Zalman MC-1 multi-fan connector which has 2 5volt leads. Net, my CPU Fan is just @ 5v all the time and not even connected to RPM sensor on Mobo. I also undervolted to 1.075 with success....

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:36 am

My temporary solution until the XP-90 comes to Spain has been to replace the 70x15 noisy fan with a 80x25 fan that I already had (made by Colorful). The difference in noise is quite big at full speed and I've lost nothing in terms of stability.

In addition the speed of the fan is controlled by the mCubed T-Balancer, so that it is usually spinning below 900 rpm and it is totally inaudible over the HD noise at that speed. The Colorful behaves perfectly with PWM, better than my old Arctic Cooling.

Regarding the modding to put the 8 cm fan in the 7 cm placeholder, well, I'm a bit lazy, so that I just used one screw and three silicone gaskets to put it in place. It was suppossed to be temporary... although now I'm starting to doubt it. I'm pleased with this solution in terms of noise and I'd only add some more cooling power for overclocking, that may be my reason to go for the XP-90. Not fully convinced that it's worthed the money, though.