Removing AMD64 stock heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jooppy

Removing AMD64 stock heatsink

Post by jooppy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:15 am

Hi

I am going to be removing my AMD 64 stock heatsink, and have read in many posts that isopropyl alcohol is good for cleaning the thermal pad residue off the CPU heatspreader before I apply Arctic Silver 5 for my new HS.

Just one quick question, where can I get isopropyl alcohol in the UK, and what brands (if it comes in different brands that is) do people recommend?

Cheers
Jooppy

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:59 am

There's some heatsink remover avaliable at kustompcs:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_3718.html

Isopropanol is great to getting rid of every last trace of old heatsink material, but I've only bothered with it once.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:34 am

Try a toolstore or a drugstore.

jooppy

Post by jooppy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:33 am

Hi

Reading a few more posts, lots of people also recommend acetone.

I went to my local Safeways this morning, they have a pharmacy, and I got a 50ml bottle of acetone for 97p.

The AMD heatsink came off without any problems, just a little bit of twisting and pulling and it came off.

I cleaned all the main sticky gunk off with an old cotton sock (could not find anything else handy at the time :lol: ) and then used cotton ear buds and the acetone to finish the job.

It worked really well, got the CPU heatspreader nice and shiny.

I have now installed the Thermalright XP-90 and Nexus 92mm fan with some arctic silver 5, and with CoolnQuiet enabled, my AMD64 3000+ is currently running at 1004Mhz at 30c, and the fan is running under 600rpm.

Result!

Jooppy