athlon 64 3000 running slow??

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

epiloso

athlon 64 3000 running slow??

Post by epiloso » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:54 pm

ok forgive me but i'm new to athlons... i've been using pentiums all my life... so my dad and i got a athlon 64 3000 on a gigabyte ga-7n400 mobo... we put the computer together but realized when we checked the system, it was showing it was running at 1.04 GHZ... now is that NORMAL? when we bought it we didn't see the person who built our computer PUT the chip in... so we're not sure if they put in a 3000... but that mobo won't take another type of chip lower than a 2800 xp, so still, it shouldn't be running at 1.04 ghz. is it the software (microsoft windows xp) or some hardware issue where we forgot to take out a jumper on the mobo or something? ANY help or ideas would be GREAT! cause the chip should be running fast! thanks all

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:14 pm

I never had any AMD64 processors myself but I think this is the issue with the "Cool n Quiet" feature of the processor. I think it is controlled by the BIOS - there must be a setting to disable it. The CPU probably goes to the lower speed automatically when there is nothing for it to do to conserve the energy and generate less heat. It comes to full speed automatically when you start some intense computational application. At least, that's how I think it works. Sort of like a laptop if you want. So, you could try to go to the BIOS and disable Cool-n-Quiet feature to see how fast your CPU really is.

Again, I did not yet have any AMD64, so I may be wrong. There are some folks with those CPUs here, wait till they wake up - they will surely give you a more specific advice.

Oh, and by the way
Welcome to SPCR!!!

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:00 am

Yes, the 1 GHz thing is consistant with a working Cool & Quiet implementation. The CPU stays at that speed as long as it can cope with the demands on it. FYI, 1 GHz is a lot of computing power so you can probably browse & do your email and still remain at 1 GHz. As soon as the demands on the CPU get too much, the CPU automatically jumps to 2 GHz.

The whole thing is very dynamic and on-the-fly.

The CPU also undervolts itself in addition to underclocking. I've seen my A64 3000+ go down to 24C in temps in C&Q mode and run all the way up to 64C at full throttle. That's the great feature of Athlon64.

If you want to set your mind at ease, you could

1) Go into BIOS and disable Cool & Quiet (though no reason to do it)
2) Run CPUID (www.cpuid.com). It'll tell you everything about your processor
3) Run a high-load program like Prime95 or Folding@Home or CPUBurn and see the CPU jump up in speed

There's a software called dashboard downloadable from the AMD site that shows the CPU action during C&Q

epiloso

Post by epiloso » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:47 am

hey thanks guys, it totally makes sense! rock on :D

justlnluck

Post by justlnluck » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:08 pm

WHOA, wait a second guys!
Epiloso says his motherboard is a ga-7n400. This is a socket A motherboard. Althon64's DO NOT use socket A. You need to have a socket 754 mb if you want to use an A64.

Also, epiloso, when you say you checked the system, do you mean, you checked the properties under 'My Computer'? If that is the case, it should always say 2Ghz!! Check the receipt to see what they really sold you.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:52 pm

GA-7N400

"GA-7N400 is the excellent platform for latest AMD Athlon XP 400MHz FSB processor"

Just providing a link. It's definately Socket A.