Combo Cool DIY TOWER112 ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jojo540

Combo Cool DIY TOWER112 ?

Post by Jojo540 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:55 am

Does anybody knows something about this CPU heatsink?

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comb ... wer112.htm

It looks as capable to be used without fans :D

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:02 am

It also looks capable of breaking your MB. And this one only has 3 heatpipes, compared to 6 on the huge coolermaster tower.

Jojo540

Post by Jojo540 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:59 am

mathias wrote:It also looks capable of breaking your MB. And this one only has 3 heatpipes, compared to 6 on the huge coolermaster tower.
It as 6 heatpipes, but nothing on Thermaltake there is nothing about the weight :(

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:24 pm

Jojo540 wrote: there is nothing about the weight :(
Hah, how convenient, they left out the weight!

The aluminum version of this same heatsink ("Silent Tower" comes in at a svelte 640 grams, so you can only guess how much heavier the all copper version would be. :roll:

Jojo540

Post by Jojo540 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:03 pm

Arrgh!!!!

Assuming than the ratio between Al & CU model will be about 1.8 to 1.9, (for Zalman 7000 it's 1.7, but the AlCu as some copper) the Cu model weight can be estimated to +/- 1,.1 to 1.2 Kg :shock:

1.2Kg & a length of 14.5cm, my motherboard will not resist to this lever :!:

So i'll have to wait for SPCR review of the SI-97, which is svelter !

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 pm

Jojo540 wrote:It as 6 heatpipes, but nothing on Thermaltake there is nothing about the weight :(
No, that page says under specs

"Heatpipe

Copper Tube ( 6 mm) x 3pcs"

I think I saw the weight stated somewhere as around 900g without a fan.

Jojo540

Post by Jojo540 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:17 pm

mathias wrote:
Jojo540 wrote:It as 6 heatpipes, but nothing on Thermaltake there is nothing about the weight :(
No, that page says under specs

"Heatpipe

Copper Tube ( 6 mm) x 3pcs"

I think I saw the weight stated somewhere as around 900g without a fan.
How many pipes do you see here? 3 or 6?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:59 pm

Now now, guys, take it easy...

It's three U-shaped heatpipes installed with the dead center of the pipes clamped down to the base plate.

Not the most optimal sounding arrangement to me, but I'm not heatpipe physicist, either...

-Ed

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:59 pm

Jojo540 wrote:How many pipes do you see here? 3 or 6?
Hard to tell from that pic. I see three pipes here: http://www.thermaltake.com/images/coole ... edView.jpg

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:02 pm

It's three, but the way they implemented them, it looks like six, because both ends of the pipes are going up to the to of the fin array tower, and the center is clamped to the base plate, unlike in other (I want to say, "proper!") designs, the terminating ends are inside the base plate with the opposite end in the fin array...

-Ed

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:14 pm

Three simultaneous posts saying that that thing only has three heatpipes, I think some people might get the false impression that we have something against thermalfake. :lol:
Edward Ng wrote: Not the most optimal sounding arrangement to me, but I'm not heatpipe physicist, either...
I think it might better than four proper heatpipes only because the fins are so huge.

Jojo540

Post by Jojo540 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:41 am

mathias wrote:Three simultaneous posts saying that that thing only has three heatpipes, I think some people might get the false impression that we have something against thermalfake. :lol:
It's not false, just say Thermaltake and you'll have at least 3 or 4 posts telling you it's BS, these 3 or 4 posts allways posted by the same integrists ;)

I'm very sorry but I'm using a Silentboost for 2 years and I'm very happy with it, for € 20 it's the best bargain. It gives me a 32° on idle.

Your opinion about Tt & Tr is a ridiculous fight it sounds as the integrists of Ford & GM cars.

Tr can't have only good products and Tt only BS, each one must have some goods and some bad products.

Last thing, you can't say that Tt has only bad products without having made any review of their products.

Please test them before and give us GOOD reasons of not buying it, but with arguments, not only your personal opinion, and It will improve the credibility of the site and it's reviews.

That brand exists, have some good products, and is one of the sales leader, but doesn't appear in your heatsink review, even the reason why it doesn't appear is not mentionned, it looks as a bannishment, why :?:

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:24 am

Well, any heatsink that's 900g and 15cm tall is enough to give concern about stressing the motherboard, irrespective of brand or design.
As for ThermalTake and ThermalRight - the silentboost is a pretty good effort, though not quite as quiet as well chosen seperate heatsink and fan units. Thermalright tend to produce very good heatsinks, though not always the very best - for a long time, the Zalman CNPS-7000 ruled the SPCR roost. The XP-120 and XP-90 are similarly effective, but allow the user to choose their fan, enabling quieter performance with adequate cooling using, e.g. a Nexus fan.

I don't think SPCR deliberately refuse to review ThermalTake products, but they generally only review the products considered most "interesting" to their readership - those that break new ground and challenge the leading quiet computing products. If ThermalTake release a product that promises* to be quieter or better than what's currently available, then I'm sure SPCR won't refuse to review it on the basis that previous products have disappointed.
*(not just in TT's own PR, but in independent opinions)
Slightly OT, but I'm not familiar with the word "integrists" - could you give an alternative translation (or the original French, so I can look it up myself)?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:41 am

A) I have no particular qualms with Tt a a brand at all; I've trumpeted about how much I like their Tsunami Dream, for example, quite a few times now in these forums. I also believe that, if they tried hard enough, they can do it right, like back when I used their Volcano 7+.

B) I've requested review samples from them before, and they never responded. Who is to blame for that?

C) I've never thought of Thermalright as the be all and end all of cooler manufacturers, either; if you do a search for SLK-947U, for example, you will see that I recommend against it for usage on K7 platforms, due to what I consider a major flaw in the design.

D) Do I look like an integrist who posts BS about Tt?

E) Take a close look at the image that mathias linked to--look at the shape of the ends of the heatpipes sticking up from the top of the tower cooler. Realize that the two opposite ends of the heatpipes that Tt used have a flattened out shape on one end and a rounder shape on the other end; let's call the flat end the, "terminating end." If you look at heatpipes coolers from other companies, their heatpipes (with the exception of the heatribbon Heatlane coolers) are shaped similarly, and the terminating end is always bonded or clamped into the base blate, while the round end is in the fin array. Tt has bucked conventional design and have both ends of the heatpipes at the top of the tower, i.e. the flat, terminating end and also the round end. What's that mean? It means the portion of the heatpipe that's clamped to the base plate is the center of the pipe. How many ends do you see? Three of the flattened ends, and three of the round ends. I'm sure you can do the math.

-Ed