Silencing a PIII

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rockstar

Silencing a PIII

Post by rockstar » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:35 am

I'm looking for a cheap way to silence an old PIII 600 MHz CPU.

It's one of those SECC2s with a built-in fan that has a 3 pin connector connected to the motherboard.

I'm thinking about buying a Nexus Real Silent 120 mm fan (that orange one) and attaching it to the CPU somehow. I'm thinking rubber bands, but I don't know if that's the best way to do it.

Do you think the Nexus fan will cool the CPU sufficiently so I can disconnect the relatively noisy built-in fan?

...And are there any freeware programs for monitoring CPU temps?

Bean

Re: Silencing a PIII

Post by Bean » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:06 am

rockstar wrote: I'm thinking about buying a Nexus Real Silent 120 mm fan (that orange one) and attaching it to the CPU somehow. I'm thinking rubber bands, but I don't know if that's the best way to do it.
rubber bands are not good enough for this critical application. I used an 80mm fan and was able to put two screws in between the fins on the heatsink. It wasnt pretty but it worked.
rockstar wrote: Do you think the Nexus fan will cool the CPU sufficiently so I can disconnect the relatively noisy built-in fan?
I believe it has as much or more CFM's than the original fan. But its so big dont know how to attach it. I would try an 80 mm case fan you have laying around and attach or get it close to the heatsink. See if it works to your liking then explore alternatives.
rockstar wrote: ...And are there any freeware programs for monitoring CPU temps?
motehrboard monitor. See if your motherboard is on the list http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:06 am

If you have PSU with bottom fan you can cool your CPU using only PSU fan.

In my setup pIII 733@133 i have temps like this:

idle: 37 C, +12 above room temp
load: 49 C, +24 above room temp

cooled by only one 92mm fan @ 7V

---
Consider changing heatsink if your original heatsink is small. Old celeron 1.2 alu stock heatsink can make a real difference.

---
Check out great ONE-FAN ideas @ Bluefront's posts.

msmrodan

Post by msmrodan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:41 am

you might want to try my article here on SPCR on DIY watercooling a pIII

(insert sound of blowing your own horn here :D )

rockstar

Post by rockstar » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
VERiON wrote:If you have PSU with bottom fan you can cool your CPU using only PSU fan.
I do have one of those PSUs with a fan at the bottom. Are you sure this will be enough to cool the CPU?

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:56 pm

I removed the stock heatsink and but a zalman NB-47J with bent ping (very very bent to raise surface area and to make it easier for air to get through) and coool it with a low.airflow 80mmfan attached to a zalman bracket (simillarly to the way a zalman flower is cooled) It cools it to 40*-ish temps (20* ambient).

VERiON

Post by VERiON » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:12 am

rockstar wrote: I do have one of those PSUs with a fan at the bottom. Are you sure this will be enough to cool the CPU?
Yes I'm sure. In my system PSU 92mm fan @ 7V efficiently cools pIII733 and one HDD, but i have onboard video (not HOT vga card).

Try it, watch the temps and consider swapping the heatsink for bigger one.

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:10 pm

I've had a PIII-733 that had a fanless heatsink for years. Its not a regular socket cpu, its one that sticks out perpendicular from the motherboard, pointing the cpu at the front of the case. Because of this, its never even had direct airflow over it. I revived it this winter for a folding@home machine, and its been at full load for about a month with no problems.