XP-120 fit...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

XP-120 fit...

Post by BlueCan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:03 am

Has anyone tried to mount XP-120 in a Sonata on top of a ASUS P4P800E-DX? If so, does it *fit*?

Just looking to cut a couple degrees (and dB's) out of the equation.

Edit: Mounted the XP-120. The answer is "Like it was made to go in there" and 3 degrees.

-Patrick
Last edited by BlueCan on Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:37 am

I'd check the Asus board on the Thermalright webste to make sure it's compatible first (almost guranteed it will be, popular boards always are).

Once you know that, get the dimensions of the heatsink then get out a measuring tape and measure around the CPU socket.

It's great if you can find someone with the exact same set-up who may have tried it but it's pretty rare to come across even with the very popular Sonata case and Asus board. Someone has to be the first to try it...

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:27 am

Great advice. I did all that, and it's VERY VERY close. I was *hoping* someone had tried it already and could give me a "yea" or "nay" without me having to go drop $50 on a heatsink...

If the answer is "silence", then I'll probably go try it myself.

The Instigator

Post by The Instigator » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:32 am

It fits...thats my exact setup. p4p800e-deluxe with xp-120 with 5v nexus. Works great and very quiet.

EDIT...not using a sonata case, but the heatsink does not go any higher than the top edge of the motherboard if that was your concern

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:58 am

The Instigator wrote:It fits...thats my exact setup. p4p800e-deluxe with xp-120 with 5v nexus. Works great and very quiet.

EDIT...not using a sonata case, but the heatsink does not go any higher than the top edge of the motherboard if that was your concern
ROCK AND ROLL! That was my EXACT concern.

Thanks!

milesfides

Post by milesfides » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:04 pm

I had the same problem, except with a different motherboard and case.

But based on pictures of the asus motherboard you have, I think it might not fit for you either, depending on how much clearance you have between the top of your mobo and the bottom of the power supply or whatever obstruction is above the mobo.

I have a Albatron px865pe motherboard, with vertical heatsink retention mount bracket, very similar to the asus: http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images/i8 ... -board.jpg

the bottom of my psu is VERY close to the top of the motherboard, like half a centimeter or less (I don't know what case i have, it's a generic brand).

Bottom line, when the mounting bracket is vertical and high up on the mobo layout like the asus and albatron, it might not fit, as mine is too long by about ~.5 inch. It definitely hangs over the motherboard. Looking at the asus, I can't help but feel it would be the same.