Post by filete » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:09 am

Hi!

I am building a new system with
Antec Sonata case, with True Power 380W,
Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard,
and Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu with Fan mate.

I would like some advise about these options:

1- Should I connect the Zalman direct to motherboard and use the
Cool ´n´Quiet feature, or connect first to Fan Mate?
2- Or should I connect the Zalman to the True Power 380W "Fan only" plug?

All the help of other users with these same system,
would be much appreciate!
:wink:

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:28 pm

I have the same question. What is Cool 'N Quiet anyway? Is it like controlling the fan speed and temp through the bios?

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:30 am

Using the search function turns up these informative threads:

Athlon 64 software cooling (disconnect/HLT/Cool&Quiet)

Even better, you can just browse to the top of the 4th page on the review of Athlon64 processors on this site here

Now, to the original questions:

#1: The zalman is capable of cooling your processor at FULL LOAD with the fanmate set to minimum.

I think you want a direct comparison to Q-Fan. There are several discussions on this that I won't bother searching for you.

#2: The TruePower has the habit of ramping up pretty quickly (in 15-20 minutes) even at the lightest of loads. You'll find the PSU to be your loudest noise source pretty quickly. Therefore anything attached to the fan-only will probably get more voltage than it needs.

I would seriously consider looking into a combination use of Speedfan and CrystalCPUID for the coolest and quietest setup.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:27 am

Thanks for the links. So basically it underclocks your CPU when idle.

BTW, the OP didn't mention the processor they're using, so how do you know it would work with fanmate set to minimum?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:03 am

filete,

Hi again. My system is very similar to yours.

I have found that Cool'n'Quiet lowers my idle cpu temps about 8 degrees centigrade. This will help prevent your power supply fan from ramping up.

I have my Zalman 7000 AlCu connected to a fanmate with the lowest voltage. The fanmate is connected to the motherboard power header. Cool 'n' Quiet will not have an effect on speed of the Zalman fan because the fan is not thermally controlled.

I have tried using Q-Fan along with Cool 'n' Quiet. At low cpu temps below 50 degrees centigrade Q-Fan actually turns off my cpu fan. I prefer not to use this feature because I cannot hear the Nexus fan I swapped for the Zalman. :D

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:48 am

poohbear, he's using an athlon64 mobo and the Zalman will cool any athlon64

filete

Post by filete » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:35 am

I have my Zalman 7000 AlCu connected to a fanmate with the lowest voltage. The fanmate is connected to the motherboard power header. Cool 'n' Quiet will not have an effect on speed of the Zalman fan because the fan is not thermally controlled.
So, what your are saying is just use the Fan mate on lowest speed (by the way where do you mount the FanMate inside the case?),
and not use Cool ´n´Quiet, because does not work with Zalman?!

Confused!
:shock:

Also ,after reading alot about the TruePower, I still think the use of "Fan Only " for the case fans, is the best option.

Project

Post by Project » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:19 am

i use the zalman alcu with Cool n Quiet and Q fan. Qfan is important since its the actual slowing down cpu fan speed. Coon n quiet just lowers its voltage or what not to reduce draw. I recommend not to connect the fanmate, and get some good thermal paste. Im sitting here with my fan not spinning at all. Meaning i can idle my computer and do minor tasks without the fan ramping up. Only problem with this is that its not really linear cause cpu task, and heat jump up pretty fast the minute u do some hardcore task, so does fan speed.

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:11 am

filete wrote: So, what your are saying is just use the Fan mate on lowest speed (by the way where do you mount the FanMate inside the case?),
and not use Cool ´n´Quiet, because does not work with Zalman?!
No, he is saying that regardless of A64 CPU, Zalman HS will do well colling them with the fan set to minimum speed.

Cool 'n Quiet is a whole other issue and is not related to fanspeed adjustment in any direct way. Indirectly CnQ may influence the fanspeed either by the use of software like speedfan or hardware like ASUS QFan. Since soft/hardware monitors how hot the cpu is and adjust the fanspeed accordingly, the lower temps in idle resulting from CnQ may mean that CnQ affects the fanspeed, but only indirectly.

To anwser the question in the thread title. I can only see two reasons why one would not use CnQ. First, many folders and others running such applications never lets their cpu idle. In that case the question becomes pointless. There is no need to have CnQ enabled, but it wouldn't hurt either.
Second. In the beginning of the A64 era some people had problems with CnQ causing instability and/or a very slow system. It has been a while, though, since I last heard of such troubles. And even if one has such problems, the A64 is so easy to cool thanks to the fact that it is such a good undervolter.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:39 am

One can get better results (read: more effective underclocking) with CrystalCPUID. Sadly, not all K8 boards support multiplier/voltage change within OS.

Cheers,

Jan

cyberknight

Post by cyberknight » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:33 am

*double post*
Last edited by cyberknight on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberknight

Post by cyberknight » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:34 am

the voltage lowering is nice. My systems temps lower really quickly once I exit a session of gaming.

And yeah, not all boards will support undervolting of CnQ. And if it does, make sure you leave it at Default Voltages. Probably default multiplier too, but I haven't tried that.

feel free to up your HTT Bus though, that seems to have no effect on CnQ (except your lowest GHz may be 1.1GHz instead of 1.0GHz)